The Easiest of the Easy Beginner Build Guides [1.1 SotV UPDATED]

This guide is for those players who just want a build that is strong, easy and reasonably fun to play so that they can successfully get to and farm maps. Creating your own successful build is difficult and requires a lot of iteration. But if you are willing to follow a pre-planned build then you can bypass all of this to just play the game. If you want something cutting edge or original this isn't really the guide you're looking for.

The idea for these builds is to give something super simple and reliable to see what PoE has to offer. Players can then decide to reroll as a more complex character or to take this one to late game by dropping Resolute Technique and potentially switching to mana.

Original Video Guide: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCJs79oLPk8 This is slightly out of date but talks about the core concepts of the build.

Endorsements

These builds are all about making a super tanky Bow Ranger that can take a ton of punishment and still stay alive and progress either in standard or hardcore. It may not be as flashy as other bow builds but it will get you through PoE and into endgame maps. From there you can decide on another build you'd like to play based on your experiences!

LIGHTNING ARROW FRENZY RANGER

Explanation Video: http://youtu.be/9x6J6Rn66A8

Damage Concepts

- High physical damage with high % elemental conversion
- scaling phys and elemental damage
- exponential damage increase through shock stacks
- phys damage scaling through strength

Defensive Concepts

- Super high life
- Armor through Iron Reflexes conversion
- life leech through high phys damage
- powerful defensive procs

PASSIVE TREES

Passive Tree Suggested Leveling Route:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4Ji9o496mA

Using Auras
At endgame you can drop blood magic and use reduced mana to reserve 100% of your mana with Grace and Hatred. You then use blood magic support gems on your skills. This is not necessary but can be a nice DPS and defensive boost overall.

AoE Primary Skill

Lightning Arrow
- Lesser Multiple Projectiles
- Pierce or Chain or Neither (if you instead rely on pierce from Projectile Weakness)
- Weapon Elemental Damage (preferred over added fire due to high ele conversion)
- Life Gain on Hit
- Faster Attacks

Single Target Primary Skill

Frenzy
- Added Fire
- Life Leech
- Faster Attacks
- Physical Projectile Attack Damage
- Wildcard slot

Curses

- Projectile Weakness (if going for pierce)
- Conductivity OR Elemental Weakness
- Enfeeble / Temporal Chains (run one of these at least)

Defensive Procs

CoDT is still a very powerful, almost free defensive buff. You just have to find a middle point where the skills are levelled enough and the proc still goes off in time.

The sweet spot I have found (so far) is:

Cast on Damage Taken @LVL4
- Enduring Cry @LVL7
- Decoy Totem @LVL9
- Molten Shell @LVL9

When you take 620 damage you get a free decoy totem distraction, 400 armor for fee and several free endurance charges :)

Mobility

Lightning Warp
- Faster Casting
- Reduced Duration

Bandit Quests

- Life
- Phys Damage
- Frenzy Charge or Endurance Charge

RAIN OF ARROWS RANGER
Spoiler
Check out this thread for my 1 week Nemesis race RoA Ranger build: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/756810
It's super effective and still fairly beginner friendly!

GENERAL GEARING REQUIREMENTS & TIPS
Spoiler

General

- Avoid accuracy & crit chance due to running Resolute Technique
- Stun Reduction is not necessary

Bow

- High Phys % (over 90%)
- Flat Phys damage roll (ie 10-20 phys)
- Attack Speed
- Life Leech

Quiver

- Flat Damage Mods, perferrably Phys Damage
- Attack Speed
- Life Leech
- Life
- Resists

Gloves

- Damage Mods
- Attack Speed
- Life Leech
- Life
- Armor/Evasion
- Resists

Helmet

- Armor/Evasion
- Life
- Resists

Chest

- Armor/Evasion (aim for a lot, 90%+)
- Life
- Resists

Boots

- Life
- Resists
- Move Speed

Belt

Rustic Sash or Leather belt
- Life
- Resists
- Armor
- Strength

Rings & Amulet

- Damage Mods
- Life
- Resists
- STR
- Life Leech
- Attack Speed

Twitch.TV/ZiggyDLive
YouTube.com/ZiggyDStarcraft
Twitter.com/ZiggyDStarcraft
PoE and Strategy Gaming Content
Last edited by ZiggyD on Mar 19, 2014, 8:21:05 PM
Bump for beginners!
Twitch.TV/ZiggyDLive
well written guide! Just 1 questions, why do you recommend LA instead of ice shot for beginners? Ice shot's cc is pretty underestimated imo
"
well written guide! Just 1 questions, why do you recommend LA instead of ice shot for beginners? Ice shot's cc is pretty underestimated imo

Mainly for the excellent synergy with life gain on hit and because it work's slightly better as AoE with pierce (which is what most beginner's will have to use for a good while until they get chain). Also, since you cannot crit with resolute you cannot freeze with IceShot anymore. The same goes for LA of course, but you can at least get Static easily to make up for that.
Twitch.TV/ZiggyDLive
Heya, great guide and build, thank you :) Out of curiosity, is this build still viable since the big patch without any tweaking? I realize it's still early, but I figured it would not hurt to ask, thanks.
IGN: Mr_Dark_Passenger
"
CutShot wrote:
Heya, great guide and build, thank you :) Out of curiosity, is this build still viable since the big patch without any tweaking? I realize it's still early, but I figured it would not hurt to ask, thanks.

Totally, it doesn't really require much modification either. If you wanted to change anything I would just focus more on physical damage for better life leech synergy and conversion with LA. I'd say the build is stronger overall, especially since it was already so well set up for phys+fire.
Twitch.TV/ZiggyDLive
Very cool, thanks for responding :)
IGN: Mr_Dark_Passenger
Omg let ppl decide for them self >_>

Why cant they fail few times and learn something from it ?
"
jasio1234 wrote:
Omg let ppl decide for them self >_>

Why cant they fail few times and learn something from it ?

Some people prefer this approach.

Other people, like myself, want to skip the learning curve and just have an easy to use build to start out, then once I am able to understand the game a lot better, then I can come up with new things.

I modified the build a little bit. What do you guys think?

With all the strength nodes taken, to me it seemed like a waste to not get Iron Grip, so I did that. The build sort of takes you along the path to get Celestial Walker, so I got that as well (if the area damage doesn't apply to LA, then this is obviously rather wasteful to do). I also got Acceleration and Leather and Steel. This allows you to maintain your movement speed regardless of what armor you wear, and acceleration provides a nice bonus to attack speed as well, which is critical to this build's functionality as much as anything else. That path also lets you get Fury Bolts.

What was lost in this was a bunch of intelligence nodes (not sure if they were needed to meet skill reqs or not), as well as the buff passives. This also requires you to reach the level cap.
Last edited by Eternalspirit86 on Jun 15, 2013, 7:36:26 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info