Chrome Extension to detect recipes in your inventory

THERE IS A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC HERE: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/42272/page/1

- Gemcutter's Prism
- Regal Orb
- Divine Orb
- Jeweler's Orb
- Orb of Alchemy
- Chaos Orb
- Orb of Chance
- Chromatic Orb
- Orb of Augmentation
- Armorer's Scrap
- Blacksmith's Whetstone
- Glassblower's Bauble

You can download the extension here: https://github.com/jaguilar/poe_ext/raw/master/poe_ext.crx.

Basic usage:

- Open the chrome app (new tab page -> apps -> poe).
- Select the character you will be playing as.
- Put the app on another monitor or another computer while you play Path of Exile.
- Every four minutes, the app will detect new recipe matches.
- You can force detection by pressing the refresh button.
- I recommend that you decrease the font size with [Ctrl -]

Detection ignores items you are wearing, but matches against your stash. It does not detect matches that are in other characters' inventories, only the currently selected character.

The extension will only detect updates as fast as the path of exile website shows them in your inventory, which appears to be decently infrequent. I'm still trying to see how long it takes for updates to propagate. New matches will probably be delayed by five to ten minutes. The best way to use this is to just dump all rares into your inventory, and occasionally check to see what you have uncovered (like panning for gold).

As of version 0.10, this app no longer polls automatically after the first request. Please use the refresh button on the page to get updates. The app was causing too much load on GGGs servers. I'll be trying to work with them to restructure the requests so that they don't put as much load, but if nothing can be worked out, the app will remain in its non-auto-updating form. Sorry! I recommend stashing all rares then hitting the refresh button once at the end of your play session to see what combos you have come up with.

Why would you want something like this? Personally I don't like having to remember what pieces of a rare set I still need for a Chaos Orb. I don't like having to remember all the rarenames that I have in my inventory, especially when I have bought a bunch of extra stash pages and they are all full. And I don't want to track my hoarded items on a spreadsheet. But computers are great at tedious tasks like this. If you don't like doing the work of a computer, this app is for you.

Testing so far has been very limited (only my characters). It seems to work, but I'm not making any promises. I will try to fix any bugs that you report to me. I will also look at any pull requests you make to the github branch. The code is garbage but I've been working on it nonstop the last three days (and learning Javascript and JQuery in the process), so I haven't had time to clean it up.

For FOSS nerds: this code is licensed under the new BSD license. In a future update I will add the license to all the source files in the repository. For non-nerds, you can copy the code if you want. You don't have to distribute the source code if you make a derivative work. Source code: https://github.com/jaguilar/poe_ext/tree/master/poe_ext.

Any updates will be automatically pushed to your browser whenever I roll out a new version. If you have questions, please post them on this thread and I will do what I can to answer them in a timely manner.

FAQ

Did you check with the devs before releasing this?

No. The information this application uses is freely available in your browser, queried via the same methods that the PoE site itself uses. I don't see mashups of this nature as something for which one needs to seek permission.

Is this a hack?

No, it doesn't use the game in any shape or form. Just the item browser from the website, in exactly the same way a human would use it.

Is there a warranty?

LOL no. Use at your own risk. But I think it should be OK, I did what I could to avoid putting excessive load on the server and if the devs ask me to change it to put less load I will.

Will you make this for [Firefox/IE/Opera/Safari]?

No, that would be a lot of extra work for minimal benefit. Chrome is free, hard drive space is cheap. Download it and use it for this.
Last edited by zeto on Aug 6, 2012, 10:02:59 AM
Does this also read your stash?

I just get stuck loading once I select the character and hit refresh.

Edit: Cool tool though.
Last edited by Kokunai on Apr 28, 2012, 7:16:25 PM
Yes, I pushed a bug, because it was having errors detecting magic items. I'm sorry. It's fixed now. If you refresh your extensions it should work. (Go to chrome://extensions/, check developer mode, then click Update Extensions Now.)

And yes, it reads your stash. Otherwise it would be useless. One bug to note: it doesn't detect unique items for recipes as of now. I don't own any unique items so I haven't been able to write the screen scraping code to detect that item type. As soon as I find a unique the extension will be updated to understand uniques.
Last edited by HouseAbsolute on Apr 28, 2012, 7:21:18 PM
Sweet thanks, this is so much nicer than alt tabbing to recipes and cross checking. Outstanding.

Edit:
And if you use my credit card could you buy me something nice while you're shopping for yourself, lol.
Last edited by Kokunai on Apr 28, 2012, 7:27:26 PM
LOL! First, you can't get your credit card number out from their site, although I suppose in principle I could intercept it on the way in. Then again, so can every other chrome extension you install.

You can check the network requests the app is making from the chrome dev tools. You will see that it makes requests to no servers except www.pathofexile.com. There is no way for it to pass information back to me. :)

If you're really paranoid, I will not be offended if you copy the source code and rebuild the extension for yourself. That's why I made the code free, so you could be sure I wasn't using it to nefarious purposes.

Also, the name on my github account is my real name. ;)
Last edited by HouseAbsolute on Apr 28, 2012, 8:24:56 PM
*hugs*

Amazing mod, Now I can easily make those regals with my old worthless shinies.
I wasn't serious, but I'm actually going to take a look at the code and maybe clean it up a bit if I can. At least learn a thing or two about how you went about it.

EDIT: if you're on HC I will give you a unique item for the furtherment of the extension. Just let me know when and I will hop on to give it to you.
Last edited by Kokunai on Apr 28, 2012, 7:37:55 PM
I am only on Hardcore. My char name is SiobhanHardstone. If you give me a unique I will definitely fix the extension to detect them correctly. Should be a ten minute job.

I would love to pull any code cleanups you want to contribute. I have never written Javascript before and I have to confess I barely know my ass from my elbow when it comes to this language. And, as I've these past few days, it's an exceptionally rough language to be new to. Getting to see how an experience JS programmer does it would definitely be a learning experience.
Last edited by HouseAbsolute on Apr 28, 2012, 7:54:49 PM
Is it possible you could do this for Firefox?
For experienced I'd have to have my friend look at it I just dabble in it lol.

I'll login now to give you the unique I have, char is Kokunai

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info