[3.12] Sword & Board Smite Juggernaut - D3 Style (All Uniques!), Fast, Tanky, Fun, Cheap to Start

-::- 3.12 Sword & Board Smite Jugg -::-

-::- Introduction -::-

Ok guys, I've been working on this since the start of 3.12 and it's coming along nicely!

There are still minor details I am working out, and I am always testing different things everyday, so I may change a few things here and there, but for the most part this guide is now stable and you can follow without worry.

If you want to see what I'm upto, my profile is public and you can always import or inspect my Heist character "Corosii", as the PoB export posted here can go out of date quickly.

If you don't know me, I've made quite a few builds in the past, most popular being 'ScourgeFlurry' back in the 2.6-3.0 days.

My build guide for last league "3.11 Infernal Blow Champ" is here: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2874329

Take comfort in knowing that if I release a guide, I've taken the time to test and made sure the build is worthy of it. I stand by my work, show videos for you to judge for yourselves, and you can always ask questions here or in-game, but depending on the complexity of it, I may ask you to post it here for me to write a detailed answer.

Also, just drop me a line here or in-game and let me know if you're playing this and if enjoying the build or not. It's always nice to hear from players trying out my crazy niche builds.

Anyway, without further ado, a showcase of tankyness and clear speed in end-game, so you can judge for yourselves (you can click each image for HQ GIF with sound):

T16 Tropical Island - Corrupted 60% Delirium Showcase

83 Heist - Clear Speed Showcase

T16 Incursion - Clear Speed Showcase

T16 Dark Forest - Corrupted, Delirium

Sirus 7 - Boss Kill

T16 - Minotaur

T15 Dark Forest - Twin Boss Facetanking, +35% Life Boss

Full Length Videos
Youtube: Smite Jugg - T16 Tropical Island (60% Delirium, Corrupted, Beyond, No Regen)
Youtube: Smite Jugg - Hall of Grandmasters (1 Death)
Youtube: Smite Jugg - Sirus 7 (2 Deaths)
Youtube: Smite Jugg - Sirus 6 (1 Death)
Youtube: Smite Jugg - Sirus 0 (First Try, Deathless)
Youtube: Smite Jugg - 83 Heist (Lockpicking)
Youtube: Smite Jugg - T16 Dark Forest (Corrupted, Delirium)

Youtube: Smite Jugg - T16 Minotaur (Corrupted, +35% Life Boss, Elemental Weakness)

-::- About the Build -::-

This is a "D3 style" build using mostly all uniques (just a life flask and jewels non-unique).

I designed it to survive the insane damage output I was seeing at the start of Heist. Now with all that nerfed this build is better than I envisioned, so go Heist some Heists!!

The clear is amazing! Smite is so good, but sadly, I am LITERALLY the only person playing it as a main skill, as of this writing, lol...

The basic idea is scaling damage through stacking of Ailments by doing damage of all types (Cold, Fire, Lightning, Physical and Chaos). We further scale this by having our resistances balanced for maximum Wise Oak buff (Balance your res with Jewels, Yoke and Valako's. If you're using Esh's or another shield with some resist, don't worry about balancing Wise Oak, but always make sure your highest resistance is lightning!). This also means we are applying Chill, Ignite and most importantly, Shock to boost our damage through Yoke of Suffering and The Taming.

Shock itself we are scaling further through Painseeker (I also run Ondar's a lot, so see if you can get them with the corruption I have. Basically any +AS you can get is going to feel great!), which applies it as though dealing upto 200% more damage. Needless to say, this is pretty significant for a lightning based build. Then we throw in a Valako's for good measure, Wrath, Herald of Thunder, Conductivity and Elemental Weakness to the mix. Now just a matter of letting that juicy Lightning damage rip and watch all those lovely Inpulsa explosions clear whole screens ;)

We clear whole screens because Awakened Ancestral Call, in addition to Tribal Fury let us hit many additional targets. This means the AoE portion of each attack on those targets will hit each other and all other mobs around, and since we can also run with Awakened Increased Area of Effect, we can hit a lot of mobs and very far away (for a melee build).

Herald of Thunder, in turn, continuously applies Condutivity and Elem. Weak. When your Hextouch is not 5/20, you can run Culling strike as the 4th link. Once it reaches 5/20, move Culling to your totems or Leap Slam and add Elem. Weak.

One thing to keep in mind is that a large chunk of DPS is coming from the anoint "Panopticon" and hence from our totems. This is especially relevant during fights like Minotaur, with AoE rockfall that kill your totems and without AP, you're going to lose a chunk of DPS. I just realized this watching the video I posted of Mino. This is a completely new build, so just like you guys, I'm learning the way to properly play it, so... keep your totems up and alive for max DPS!

Also, if you decide to play this, realize that gear rolls matter. Some of the items I use can be found for 1c, but you want to make sure you're getting the highest rolls of each unique and as many useful corruptions as possible. We're squeezing as much as we can out of these items, so you want the very best you can find/afford.

Going back to what I said in the beginning, another important thing to note is that I did not design this build to 1-shot Sirus or Mino or any other tanky mob. I designed it for Heist, and that's where I believe it will shine. Yes, as you can see in the videos, it is fully capable of all end-game content, but I don't think I'll be taking down bosses in 2-3 seconds with this, since the scaling is based off of # of mobs around you.

10 Step Leveling Tree

Spoiler
1) Path out through "Melee Damage" (You will drop these for life later)
2) Bridge through "Strong Arm" to "Resolute Technique"
3) Path to "Art of the Gladiator"
4) Path to "Life and Mana Leech" (Solves Mana problems forever! Or can do anoint "Spirit Void")
5) Path to "Tribal Fury" + "Call to Arms"
6) Path to "Elemental Overload" (Drop Resolute when you get this)
7) Path to "Divine Wrath/Judgement"
8) Path to "Retaliation" and "Blade Dancer"
9) Path to "Soul of Steel" (When you start feeling not tanky enough)
10) Path to "Constitution"
**Rough guide, use your best judgement.

Leveling: Smite + Ancestral Call + Onslaught
Bandits: 2 Points
Ascend: Unstoppable > Undeniable > Unyielding
Pantheon: Solaris + Shakari/Ryslatha/Abberath
Helm Enchant: Blood Rage 12% AS, Smite 40% dmg
Boot Enchant: 16% AS (Mapping), Ele Pen (Bossing)

Come on guys! Won't you give Smite some love? ;)

-::- How to Play the Build -::-

Run around spamming your attack, but don't stand around. Our Leap Slam can be linked to Culling Strike, so use your mobility to stay alive and kill low health mobs. Also remember Leap is linked to Blood Magic, so if you run out of mana, just Leap on mobs to leech mana.

If you want to gather mobs up and then blow them up, I find that pretty satisfying!

Keep your totem up for max DPS and swap to single target gems for tanky bosses.

Pop Vaal Ancestral Warchief when you need a boost to DPS.

Pop Vaal Molten Shell for your everyday "ohh SHIT!!!" moments.

-::- Easy Key Binding Setup -::-
Spoiler

*Keep 3 fingers on "234" and thumb on "Space", ready to spam the most used flasks.
*Slide over ring finger to "1" for Life flask.

"LMB" = Warcry
"MMB" = Blood and Sand
"RMB" = Smite
"Q" = Ancestral Protector
"W" = Leap Slam
"E" = Blood Rage/Frenzy
"A" = Vaal Ancestral Warchief
"S" = Vaal Haste
"D" = Vaal Molten Shell

-::- Current Gear & Skills -::-

**Obviously, I have some pretty expensive items, but they are by no means required, they are just icing on the cake and there are cheap options listed below.

**Swap Inpulsa's/Taming/AS boots/Esh's > Farrul's/Rare Cat/Pen boots/Lioneye's or Victario's or Ahn's for T16 bosses (This is NOT NECESSARY! It's just for those that want to focus on bossing. You can do T16 bosses with Inpulsa's just fine. All videos above were with Inpulsa's).

**Swap AC > Close Combat (For T16+ bosses and face tank them for max DPS. Remember Sirus can't hit you if you're on top of him).

**Swap Added Lightning/Lightning Pen > IAoE (There's no need to run IAoE, AoE is more than enough, but if you're just fast mapping it's nice QoL).

**Swap Ring > Sibyl's + Yugul Pantheon to run Reflect Maps.

**Replica Rumi's + Replica Mistwall = Max Block + Max Spell Block (Your life will drop below 5k though)

-::- Leveling and Other Optional Gear -::-

Spoiler

-::- The Stats -::-

Spoiler

**Pre Megalomania with Fuel The Fight

-::- PoB Exports -::-

https://pastebin.com/CbkgNwm1 **Updated Oct 17th 2020 12:13AM EST
https://pastebin.com/czjg3nCj **Updated Oct 1st 2020 11:47PM EST

***The Config page in these exports is setup to show max potential DPS and to let you (the player) know exactly what effects I am optimizing. Please keep in mind that PoB is a math tool used to help you optimize temporary effects and this game is ALL about temporary effects.

When you use PoB and only tick things that are up 100% of the time, you're doing yourself and your build a disservice as you won't be able to truly optimize DPS output.

The point is that effects weren't just ticked to inflate DPS and I take it as a given that people understand that I won't be Shocking Shaper/Sirus for 50%, nor will I have 1000 Rampage, nor have killed 50 Shocked mobs in the last 4 seconds when fighting a lone tanky boss, so adjust the Config page to match the scenario you're looking to see the numbers for.

GL!
Last edited by corosou on Oct 22, 2020, 9:43:38 AM
Last bumped on Oct 24, 2020, 4:18:44 PM
what ascend order did you go? and what direction did you go for the passive tree?
"
Guvnah153 wrote:
what ascend order did you go? and what direction did you go for the passive tree?

Ascend: Unstoppable > Undeniable > Unyielding
Pantheon: Solaris + Shakari/Ryslatha/Abberath

You want to get everything that gives you damage. Since you're a Marauder you can take a lot of damage, there's no need to survivability.

10 Step Tree:

1) Path out through "Melee Damage" (You will drop these for life later)
2) Bridge through "Strong Arm" to "Resolute Technique"
3) Path to "Art of the Gladiator"
4) Path to "Life and Mana Leech" (To solve all Mana problems forever! can also do cheap annoint on amulet "Spirit Void" while leveling)
5) Path to "Tribal Fury" + "Call to Arms"
6) Path to "Elemental Overload" (Drop Resolute when you get this)
7) Path to "Divine Wrath/Judgement"
8) Path to "Retaliation" and "Blade Dancer"
9) Path to "Soul of Steel" (When you start feeling not tanky enough)
10) Path to "Constitution"

This is just a rough idea... use your best judgement. I don't like to hand-hold ppl too much.

GL
3.12 Quick Important Paradoxica Update!

I didn't mention it earlier because I didn't think it was worth. I had tried it and it was absolute garbage, so I just thought it was garbage for this particular build. Well it turns out Paradoxica DPS is actually bugged and NOT DOING DOUBLE DAMAGE!!

This I can confirm myself and several people confirmed in Bug forum:

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2947900

Well, this is good news because if Paradoxica actually is just bugged then once it's fixed it is going to take this build to a WHOLE NEW LEVEL!

So, I bought a similar to the one I had:

Definitely not cheap, but it's a chase item you don't NEED. As you can see I've done everything up until now with Rebuke.

GL
Hey man, cool build! I was thinking of doing something with smite soon, and I was wondering if you might know whether or not the aoe portion of smite counts as melee? I'm planning on going crit, but I don't know whether or not the melee crit nodes near marauder work for both portions of the attack, or only the initial strike. When I asked this on reddit I got two people who gave opposite answers.
"
TheTravelz wrote:
Hey man, cool build! I was thinking of doing something with smite soon, and I was wondering if you might know whether or not the aoe portion of smite counts as melee? I'm planning on going crit, but I don't know whether or not the melee crit nodes near marauder work for both portions of the attack, or only the initial strike. When I asked this on reddit I got two people who gave opposite answers.

Thanks!

Going crit should be fine, though I have not explored that avenue, so I can't guide you there.

I can say that from a lot of in-game testing, what feels the best is: Penetration, Attack Speed, +Strike Targets, Strike Range, Area of Effect.

Smite scales well from overlapping the circles, so Ancestral Call and Tribal Fury are very very good:

The default AoE is pretty good already, so with 3-4 additional targets and IAoE a lot of overlap takes place.

The issue is mostly single target, and for that the biggest boost is going to come from getting as much Attack Speed as you can, from what I've seen in testing.

GL with your toon!
3.12 Gear Update

Hi guys!

I've made quite a few important optimizations and squeezed a ton of attack speed and hence, DPS, out of the build.

Let me show you the latest combo of goodies:

Notably I found the BiS helm enchant BR +12 AS, +9% AS corrupted gloves and ran labs until I got 16% AS enchant on boots. Speaking of Lab, this toon is amazing for it... a walk in the park! ;)

I've also gotten Awakened gems as they are pretty cheap. Got Awakened Ancestral for 30c, which is insane... So, now I'm actually hitting an extra target and hit much further away. Awakened Elem and Lightning were 100-150c each.

Last notable change is a GG roll Ryslatha for big juicy hits.

I've been running T15 Beachhead ROTAs all day and I've gotten a few questions about what I was playing and I think it's because they liked what they were seeing ;)

So, if you are reading this, I humbly suggest you get in on this, cuz it feels fucking amazing! (modesty aside it just feels really on point).

Lastly, I added to the main post a PoB export with the final form with Paradoxica + Double Curse (Condu. + Elem. W.).

GL!
Last edited by corosou on Sep 27, 2020, 9:52:56 PM
Giving smite a try right now and there are two questions I have as a (relative) noob to Path of Exile!

1) What bandit choice do you recommend?

2) Your PoB link isn't working for me, presents a massive error page when
entered. Any idea what is going wrong? My version is 1.4.170
"
CardeaC wrote:
Giving smite a try right now and there are two questions I have as a (relative) noob to Path of Exile!

1) What bandit choice do you recommend?

2) Your PoB link isn't working for me, presents a massive error page when
entered. Any idea what is going wrong? My version is 1.4.170

HI, cool, thanks for checking it out!

1) Kill all - we need the points
2) You need to use the PoB "Community Fork" release:

https://github.com/PathOfBuildingCommunity/PathOfBuilding/releases

GL!

3.12 Paradoxica and Single Target Damage Test Update!

Ok guys, we got out main weapon fixed!

Now it's time for some T16 Mino testing ;)

But I wanted to make sure there was no doubt about the strength of the build, so here are the mods pre-corruption:

A short clip from the full video showing the kill and me taking a leisurely stroll through Mino's rockfall and electric fences:

And the full video:

Youtube: T16 Minotaur (Corrupted, +35% Life, Elemental Weakness)

How about that clear? ;) If you notice, I try to not use flasks at all during trash, except a few times on tanky mobs.

The single target isn't one-shotting Mino, but I don't have Elemental Weakness or 5/20 A. Added Light yet, so those will help a lot. I also need to test to see if Elemental Focus is worth losing the Ailments on big targets like Mino. Stay tuned...

GL
Last edited by corosou on Sep 29, 2020, 8:45:52 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info