Error when trying to download

"
Thomas wrote:
And you're certain it's the same error message? "Unable to resolve host"? That looks like you *can* resolve the host...

This is pretty odd... are you sure you don't have any sort of firewall or security software running? If so please try disabling it temporarily and run the patcher as administrator. I haven't actually heard of security software blocking a program from using DNS before, but I'm not sure what else to suggest at this point. I don't see any other reason why you can resolve the host using nslookup but not with the patcher.

Does the error happen immediately e.g. before any data is actually downloaded, or does the download progress for a while before the error happens?

I have everything disabled and the error comes up about 10-20 seconds after the client sort of stutters and blinks rapidly.
So I hooked up a lap top to our network and I was able to download everything. Clearly there is something on my pc that is blocking it and for the life of me I can not figure out what it is.
I'm having the same Error message as them. It occurs between 15 and 20% download so this is EXTREMELY annoying for the least. Please help me out.
Edit : I never had any problem installing games before. So... I'm not sure if it's my side.
Last edited by fredo2185 on Jan 15, 2013, 8:56:18 PM
same problem and it's not on my end, I never had any problems with my ISP.

edit: got it working when I disabled Avast Network Shield.
Last edited by Aldon on Jan 16, 2013, 7:44:21 PM
i have been having the same issue since friday, switching to google dns did not help - it resolves fine anyway, port 8095 is open. What sucks nothing changed on my end, any ideas?

>nslookup patch304.pathofexile.com
Server: UnKnown
Address: 192.168.0.1

Non-authoritative answer:
Name: patch304.pathofexile.com
Address: 216.12.203.93

>nslookup patch210.pathofexile.com

Name: patch210.pathofexile.com
Address: 37.58.67.215

>nslookup patch301.pathofexile.com

Name: patch301.pathofexile.com
Address: 216.12.203.91
I also get the same host errors. I have not downloaded the game before, but I get about 7% done and the error pops up. I am noticing though, each time the download size gets smaller so I may just need to keep restarting and see if I eventually get it all.
Last edited by Fik on Feb 1, 2013, 4:13:48 PM
same problem,there anyone can fix it?
I am getting the same error 'Could'nt resolve hostname while downloading..." Each time I attempt to launch the client it generates this error at some point during the patch/download, but always on different files.
"
lucaselegal wrote:
same problem,there anyone can fix it?

The developer can. We may be able to work around adding an entry for pathcdn.pathofexile.com. to the host file.

I just hit this myself, trying to install the game for the first time. It is very frustrating, and very surprising they have not addressed this for what seems to be almost two years.

I have to speculate a little since I can not see the source code, and don't feel motivated enough to packet sniff and disassemble.

I saw the curl license.txt file in the game directories, so am going to assume they are using curl. The must have a low timeout set, and not bothered to have set the dns cache time out higher, and/or not reusing handles.

Taking a look at patchcdn we see
"

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;patchcdn.pathofexile.com. IN A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
patchcdn.pathofexile.com. 600 IN CNAME patch.grindinggear.netdna-cdn.com.
patch.grindinggear.netdna-cdn.com. 300 IN CNAME grindinggear.lfs.netdna-cdn.com.
grindinggear.lfs.netdna-cdn.com. 30 IN A 50.7.100.154
grindinggear.lfs.netdna-cdn.com. 30 IN A 50.7.100.146

;; Query time: 1865 msec

This means that patchcdn itself returns a cname, that has to then be looked up and returns yet another cname, that then in turn gets looked up again, to finally return the A record, but with a ttl of only 30 seconds. So one thing that help is to up this ttl to at least match the ttl of the last cname, (300). What seems to be happening is they are not reusing the connection, and fetching each file one by one as a separate http request on a new curl handle. My isp sees me issuing hundreds of requests for the same domain and/or root domains, and starts to deprioritizes the responses back to me. This is why for me at least, it works for 15 minutes or so each time I run it, then fails. Then when I rerun it it goes for another 15 minutes. The code should be changed to not request so many dns lookups and retry itself better with a more reasonable timeout.

Then it also tries things like patch111, patch208, patch114 etc, this actualy does not help, and in fact is a detriment. What would be better is a single domain with more A records and adding another nameserver or two to the domain, if the root domain path for all remains the same.

The code to download should be changed to allow more time for the initial lookup. It should cache this answer, and it should reuse the curl handle. Doing the latter will also speed up the download and reduce the server load if you make sure the httpd server is also set up to support things properly.

In summary, a temporary fix would be to put

patchcdn.pathofexile.com 50.7.65.162

in your hosts file (this has a number of drawbacks later though), you may need to replicate that if it still tries to do other hosts even when it gets an answer for the address of this domain.

The better fix is for the devs to fix up the dns records a bit, change to use multi A records and more dns servers, instead of more domain names served by the same dns servers, and change the cache and handle usage, timeouts and error checking and handling a bit in the code.

Last edited by Rotrap on Feb 28, 2014, 8:02:32 PM
I had the same problem, receiving an error when trying to download a 13 MBs patch. Earlier in the day I needed to setup an Environment Variable in Windows, stating the HTTP_PROXY. I had to delete that in order for the updater to work.
Anyway, check your proxy

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info