Error when trying to download

"
Hitem20 wrote:
I click on the desktop icon (windows 7/64) and run as admin. PoE checks for resources... and either does not start to download or starts to download and I get the following message:

Error: Couldn't resolve the host name while downloading http://patch5.pathofexile.com:8095/patch/0.9.8.15/Metadata/Particles/monester_effects/rare_explode/fire/fire_mid.pet

I have all firewalls turned off and I opened up all ports that I could find mentioned through out the threads.

Any help would be appreciated.

This error indicates there's a problem with the domain name servers you're using. This is most likely a problem with your ISPs DNS, although some routers/modems will run their own DNS proxy so that could also be the problem.

One solution would be to try using Google's free DNS, details and configuration instructions are here:

https://developers.google.com/speed/public-dns/

Hope that helps.
"
Hitem20 wrote:
Thomas,

Anything I can do with my current setup rather than switching to google ips? I am able to play the game, but not down load from the cliet. Also when I sign into play, at the log in screen the messages at the bottom of char selection does not load.

How are you able to play the game if you can't download the client?

I'm not sure which messages you mean on the character selection screen. Do you mean at the bottom left where it says "Connecting to server" and "Authenticating user" etc?

It's actually kind of odd that you can even get to the forums if you can't resolve those hosts... could you try open a command window and try these commands:

nslookup pathofexile.com
nslookup patch5.pathofexile.com

and paste the output?
"
Hitem20 wrote:
Is there a mirror site that I could down load the patch from? Every time I down load it from my work pc, come home and try to play it seems there is another small patch waiting.

The downloader already tries multiple sites, apparently your connection has issues with all of them. My guess is it can't resolve any of them, which suggests the DNS you're using has some problem with subdomains of pathofexile.com. The way to fix this is to either use another DNS such as Google's free DNS, or to contact your ISP and ask them to fix their DNS (assuming that's what you're using now).

The only other solution would be to add static records for the subdomains to your hosts file, which isn't ideal as any new records or changes to records would have to be updated manually.

Regarding the small patch when you get home, you'll want to copy the entire contents of the install dir from your work, since there are a few small files outside of the Content.ggpk that can get patched too - it's probably those that are trying to patch at home.
"
Hitem20 wrote:
Thomas,

Switched to the following Google DNS and still getting the same error.

2001:4860:4860::8888
2001:4860:4860::8844

Well that doesn't make any sense. Please open a command prompt (windows/start -> run -> type in 'cmd' and press enter) then type in "nslookup patch5.pathofexile.com" and copy/paste the output here. To copy from the command window right click it and select "mark" then highlight the text and hit enter.
And you're certain it's the same error message? "Unable to resolve host"? That looks like you *can* resolve the host...

This is pretty odd... are you sure you don't have any sort of firewall or security software running? If so please try disabling it temporarily and run the patcher as administrator. I haven't actually heard of security software blocking a program from using DNS before, but I'm not sure what else to suggest at this point. I don't see any other reason why you can resolve the host using nslookup but not with the patcher.

Does the error happen immediately e.g. before any data is actually downloaded, or does the download progress for a while before the error happens?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info