A new "Eldritch Battery"

There has been many people, Devs included, that believe Eldritch Battery, in it's current state is, to say the least, lacking.

The reason for this, is that a witch (which would be the class that would be getting this Keystone most often) has little, to no, survivability if you were to take away their Engery Shield. When compared to Chaos Inoculation, or even just stacking health, Eldritch Battery is an overall waste of a passive point.

Another point to this, is that with the current limitation to a skill, being linked to at most 5 support gems, the mana cost of said gem rarely gets to the point where you can not support it in other means.

What I purpose is a slight change to what Eldritch Battery does. In addition to removing your Energy Shield and adding it to your mana pool, I believe it should also give the effect, "80% of incoming Damage, Chaos excluded, is taken from your mana pool, instead of your life."(Percentages can be adjusted accordingly, as the Devs would see fit.)

Now, we've seen this in many other games, and I honestly can not think of one of the top of my head, where this ability, has been overpowered. It has been used mostly, as an alternative to the normal, "Low Max Health", or "Having a Barrier," that a mage-like class normally comes with.

It would open up many new possibilities, to not only Mages, but may also allow some other classes to explore this option. Not only does it give a nice alternative, to stacking health, or Energy Shield, but it causes a "Micro-game," in its self, having to manage either casting that last spell, or kiting a bit more, to allow for some regeneration.

Speaking of which, the percentage of the swap to damage, may very well, have to be rather "low," in the range of 50-80% due to how the regeneration effects in this game, seem a bit high at the moment. But I definitely have faith in GGG, that they would be able to come up with a nice compromise.

Just a nice idea I had, that I thought would add another nice dimension to the already great passive choices we have.

Please leave any questions or suggestions, that you guys have in regards to this change, hopefully with enough support, and baring technical issues, we can get this implemented!
Ign: Desync
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
So, it would effectively make your energy shield act as both defense and mana at the same time.
Closed Beta/Alpha Tester back after a 10-year hiatus.
Kiwi pets and Spark spam FTW.
"
whiteBoy88 wrote:
So, it would effectively make your energy shield act as both defense and mana at the same time.

In a sense, yes. Hell it could even be changed to, instead of converting your ES to mana, to just completely removing your ES, so that your mana pool, would not be as large.
"
Cig wrote:
In a sense, yes. Hell it could even be changed to, instead of converting your ES to mana, to just completely removing your ES, so that your mana pool, would not be as large.

The innate stat raised by int based armor is ES, if you remove it without converting it to something else then you've basically just made it so all base type int armor is worthless; making it even worse you've done it to the pure int class.
Last edited by MM209 on Apr 17, 2012, 8:03:13 PM
"
MM209 wrote:
"
Cig wrote:

The innate stat raised by int based armor is ES, if you remove it without converting it to something else then you've basically just made it so all base type int armor is worthless; making it even worse you've done it to the pure int class.

He's not removing it, he's suggesting that after battery converts ES to mana, Mana then becomes your ES as well as your "power source".

At least thats what i have gotten from the thread
The innate stat raised by int based armor is ES, if you remove it without converting it to something else then you've basically just made it so all base type int armor is worthless; making it even worse you've done it to the pure int class.[/quote]

Intellect still increases your mana pool, at arguably a better rate than ES, so in no way is Int armor anywhere near worthless. However, I do understand your concern.

I'm not the one to figured out the perfect ratios, and formulas, at which to make the spell, that's up to the people that know what they are doing, the Devs. I am merely making a suggestion to change, an already "dead" Keystone, into something that would not only be useful, but allow for a multitude of different build.

Please, if you are going to leave a comment on something you do not think will work, please leave a suggestion on how you would compensate for such. I'd like to hear more of how the community would fix this issue. I may very well be missing something gigantic, and probably am, that would have to be dealt with in order to have this work, but having more than one persons ideas, can turn something mediocre into something great!

Thanks for your guys input so far, hopefully we can get some more people in here, and make this spell into what "I" think it has the possibility to be.

e/
EpsiIon- That is what the initial post suggests yes. If it would need to be removed, or converted into a smaller amount, due to the possibility, of having "too much" mana, that it would start to become over powered, than figuring out the correct conversion would be necessary. However, since it takes a percentage, even if you have 10,000 mana, and only 500 health, you would die far before you ran out of mana, so I'm not convinced having a gigantic mana supply, would be detrimental, to the balance of the game.
Last edited by Cig on Apr 17, 2012, 8:17:02 PM
That's what his original idea said, that's not what his revised idea that I quoted says.

Here is the key part quoted a second time:
"
just completely removing your ES

I like his first idea, but simply removing ES without converting it to something else is not good.
"
MM209 wrote:
That's what his original idea said, that's not what his revised idea that I quoted says.

Here is the key part quoted a second time:
"
just completely removing your ES

I like his first idea, but simply removing ES without converting it to something else is not good.

Its an easy thing to overlook, but I believe you took that quote out of context.
The quote is not out of context, did you read Cig's second post? Nothing was quoted from the original post.

In any case the original idea is something worth looking into but if your ES just doesn't go anywhere there is no value in high level items that are biased for int based characters.

You're still going to end up using them because it will be hard to get a lot of blue sockets on evasion (dex) or armor (str) based gear but a level 10 item will be just as good as a level 60 item. Hybrid gear could be your salvation but it'll still be gimped since 1/2 its stats are useless.

My level 62 witch currently has 828 ES and 610 mana so it's not true that you will always have more mana then ES; I could easily have a lot more mana but I don't feel it's needed and is therefore not the best used of skill points. ES on the other hand is pretty much the primary defense for an int build so I can never have enough.

I use clarity and have no mana issues that aren't easily solved by a quick swig of the flask, getting Eldritch Battery as it exists currently in PoE would leave me nearly defenseless for a ton of mana I don't even need. To say the least it's not currently an attractive offer.

If my mana also acted as a shield then I might think differently, but dumping a larger pool with a 100% absorption rate for a smaller pool that only absorbs some damage and is a shared resource with skills wouldn't be attractive at all either; unless of course this skill will no longer be directed at spell casters.
"
Cig wrote:
"
whiteBoy88 wrote:

I got a huge dictionary bro.

Read the above quote. Keeping in mind that a thread on a forum generally means. "Discussion or discorse of a subject in which more then one person is involved"

Therefore reading a singular post as a singular piece of context, rather then reading a post as a part of the thread and thus discussion, is taking it out of context.

Now as to the entire merit of the idea. This idea would change the scaling of energy shield in regards to INT.

This would make it scale at a flat rate, rather then as a %. For some builds, I guess this could be good, although numbers would need tweaking as they always do.

It would indeed decrease the effectiveness of armor, if said witch is using INT armor.

This passive would be more for a summoner/bow/dex class that has access and inclination to get different armours.
Last edited by EpsiIon on Apr 17, 2012, 9:05:51 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info