A new "Eldritch Battery"

"
MM209 wrote:
The quote is not out of context, did you read Cig's second post? Nothing was quoted from the original post.

In any case the original idea is something worth looking into but if your ES just doesn't go anywhere there is no value in high level items that are biased for int based characters.

You're still going to end up using them because it will be hard to get a lot of blue sockets on evasion (dex) or armor (str) based gear but a level 10 item will be just as good as a level 60 item. Hybrid gear could be your salvation but it'll still be gimped since 1/2 its stats are useless.

My level 62 witch currently has 828 ES and 610 mana so it's not true that you will always have more mana then ES; I could easily have a lot more mana but I don't feel it's needed and is therefore not the best used of skill points. ES on the other hand is pretty much the primary defense for an int build so I can never have enough.

I use clarity and have no mana issues that aren't easily solved by a quick swig of the flask, getting Eldritch Battery as it exists currently in PoE would leave me nearly defenseless for a ton of mana I don't even need. To say the least it's not currently an attractive offer.

If my mana also acted as a shield then I might think differently, but dumping a larger pool with a 100% absorption rate for a smaller pool that only absorbs some damage and is a shared resource with skills wouldn't be attractive at all either; unless of course this skill will no longer be directed at spell casters.

That's fine, like my initial post states, I would rather had it convert all ES, into mana, that's the point of it. If balance issues accure, then yes, it may need to be lowered to a set percentage, or removed. High doubt the later, but it's possible I guess. That post wasn't so much, me wanting to removed ES all together, but a bit of a "something needs to be done" sentence.

As you stand now, on your witch, you have 828 ES, as you say, and let's assume you have 500 health, just for the sake of the example. So 828 ES, 500 Health, and 610 Mana. So in this scenario, you have 1328, "effective" health, and 610 mana. Let's say a nasty skeleton caster is shooting you with Ice bolts, for 200 damage a pop, again, just for the purpose of the example. You can take roughly 7 hits before you die, assuming no regen.
If you were to take the new Eldritch Battery, you'd end up with 0 ES, 500 Health, and 1438 mana. Assuming the same damage of 200 per cast, each hit would be dealing 40 damage to health, and 160 damage to mana, which would allow you to take roughly 13 hits before you'd died due to heath, but at 9 hits, you would be oom.

I completely agree with you, that Eldritch Battery as it stands now, is on the brink of completely useless, which is why I started this thread, with a new take on it. I believe this would be the optimal change to the keystone, with minimal work needing to be done, to get it into the game.

The thing that I don't get however, is that Int, even if it didn't add 1% to ES, per 5, would still be highly valued due to it increasing your mana pool, which is now partially your health, by 1 mana per 2 points of int. It would in no way, make Int useless, as each point of Int, would not only increase the amount of spells you would be able to cast, but effectively increases your health aswell.
Ign: Desync
Last edited by Cig on Apr 17, 2012, 9:22:12 PM
It would be an interesting concept and I would love to see it implemented.

Though that could very well be OP becuase then int is counting towards your HP twice, once as it adds to your energy shield and another as it adds to mana. One of the two needs to go or possibly it could go to absorbing a percentage such as 70% damage is absorbed by mana, 30% to health.
"
EpsiIon wrote:

Though that could very well be OP becuase then int is counting towards your HP twice, once as it adds to your energy shield and another as it adds to mana. One of the two needs to go or possibly it could go to absorbing a percentage such as 70% damage is absorbed by mana, 30% to health.

I definitely agree, the numbers would have to be worked, so that it wasn't completely overpowered. I mean, it does have the downside of running you out of mana rather quickly, if you are getting beat on, so it does certainly have some drawback. It'd just be up to the Devs, on how much of a drawback, they would want.
"
Cig wrote:
"
EpsiIon wrote:

I definitely agree, the numbers would have to be worked, so that it wasn't completely overpowered. I mean, it does have the downside of running you out of mana rather quickly, if you are getting beat on, so it does certainly have some drawback. It'd just be up to the Devs, on how much of a drawback, they would want.

Well I mean, if its 100% mana block, then people will abuse the blood magic node/gem and stack int gear and have two seperate HP pools. Not to mention that mana regens naturally as well as having a flask.
"
EpsiIon wrote:
"
Cig wrote:
"
EpsiIon wrote:

Well I mean, if its 100% mana block, then people will abuse the blood magic node/gem and stack int gear and have two seperate HP pools. Not to mention that mana regens naturally as well as having a flask.

Well, that's why I in my first post, I think it should be 80% mana, 20% health.

The Blood Magic Keystone wouldn't have an interaction with this Keystone, at all. Blood Magic states that it removes all mana. So if it removes all mana, there wouldn't be any mana to take, therefore 100% of the damage would come from your health. I'm not 100% sure of the Blood Magic Support Gem, but my understanding is, that it instead takes the cost of the spell from your health. Since the new Eldritch Battery, isn't making your mana you health, but merely, "absorbing" the damage, for a lack of better word, I don't think it would have any effect on this Keystone either.

As far as the Flask, we life flasks, as well as passive HP regen, so I wouldn't think that it would be any different, or any more broken being mana instead.

Yup, my misunderstanding, never used blood magic node, havent looked at it in far too long for that matter.

I raised the previous points as specific examples. Life regen is easier to come across as well as the fact that life flasks give more. Although blood magic increases the cost to the point that this may be a non-issue, its worth adressing.

Then again, if this idea warrants dev attention, they have the tools to better balance it then us.
I'm wary of the suggestions to make keystones more useful for the class in general. Keystones are meant to be build-defining in a drastic way, and not always in good ways. They weren't intended to always be a good choice for a given class.

Eldritch Battery removes your main defense in trade for greater offensive potential. It's a glass-cannon passive. Using it, you could completely forego mana passives and spend them on other passives like life or more offensive choices.
Closed Beta/Alpha Tester back after a 10-year hiatus.
Kiwi pets and Spark spam FTW.
"
whiteBoy88 wrote:
I'm wary of the suggestions to make keystones more useful for the class in general. Keystones are meant to be build-defining in a drastic way, and not always in good ways. They weren't intended to always be a good choice for a given class.

Eldritch Battery removes your main defense in trade for greater offensive potential. It's a glass-cannon passive. Using it, you could completely forego mana passives and spend them on other passives like life or more offensive choices.

There in lies the problem with the current Keystone, we don't need a gigantic mana pool, for anything. So you are essintially, removing your defense for nothing.

In the new iteration, of Eldritch Battery, there is a drawback, this being, if you get hit by, or try to tank, a lot of damage, you will be OOM, in which point you WILL die. There is no getting around that. No ES, no mana, means very few hits for a low health pool character.
It wouldn't be too hard to plan a build that takes advantage of the current Eldritch Battery. Skipping all the ES and mana passives would leave you with a lot of points left to put into offense. With such a high amount of mana, you could run with nothing but a life flask and utility flasks, maybe Diamonds.

I've been seriously considering taking it on my minion-based witch so I can run a couple more auras. I don't need the defense at all; the few hits I take can be handled by my life pool.
Closed Beta/Alpha Tester back after a 10-year hiatus.
Kiwi pets and Spark spam FTW.
"
whiteBoy88 wrote:
It wouldn't be too hard to plan a build that takes advantage of the current Eldritch Battery. Skipping all the ES and mana passives would leave you with a lot of points left to put into offense. With such a high amount of mana, you could run with nothing but a life flask and utility flasks, maybe Diamonds.

I've been seriously considering taking it on my minion-based witch so I can run a couple more auras. I don't need the defense at all; the few hits I take can be handled by my life pool.

I have it on my minion based witch... once I got into Maelstrom I went from 15 deaths to well over 50. I get one shot by everything, but I enjoy the challenge. I literally do not need mana or life flasks and have started to stack the defense flasks for when I get attacked that with barbarian immunity normally gives my minions enough time to kill whatever was on me. Unless it's one of those speed mofos... then I use phase run and scream while spawning skeles behind me to block it xD It's a ton of fun, but prepare yourself for a very "glass-cannon" mentality.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info