[3.10] Cobra Commander Dominating Blow - Best tank best damage for Sentinel Guardian 800k per minion

WIP - Build is more or less done 99%, but still haven't unlocked all content, so many things undocumented, but it looks capable nonetheless

"
Intro
Hello, I am the author of the Super Heavy Heavy Strike build in the jugs section.

I was quite surprised that as leagues went on Dominating Blow Guardian was never proposed here in its full potential, so I went ahead and tried myself for this league.

The guide borrows from tank ES guardians, zombiemancers and LL ES concepts combined. Results were fairly satisfactory, it kept me playing and it keeps impressing me the more I am digging and pushing it, so here I am posting a guide while I keep on pushing the build.

"
Screen vids & POB

Clearing vids

https://youtu.be/lrhvuHhNdSM

https://youtu.be/eeN-w6ApCkQ

https://youtu.be/hm6kyjpfqDA

POB: https://pastebin.com/R569WGSp
!!IMPORTANT FOR POB!!: Please use the community fork to have native support for close combat, impales and a ton of other stuff!
https://github.com/PathOfBuildingCommunity/PathOfBuilding/wiki/Installing-this-Fork

Calculated shaper DPS with 9 white sentinels: 7.1mil using cluster jewels

During mapping we have 9 white sentinels + 3 blue + 1 yellow = more than 10mil!

Damage explanation:
The POB fork does all the math for us.

In short words we use added layers of damage with impale and double damage procs

Note on 3.10 cluster jewels:

The version using cluster jewels is more expensive (i spent 2ex+ when buying) but gives us +20% impale chance PLUS 30% chance to deal double damage!

It means 88% more dmg from the improved impale and another 30% more damage from the double dmg

I had a sort of brain shortcircuit when laying down the explicit formula, but the calc numbers are a 144% more damage which i put in the flask.

If you want to verify you can disable the QS flask and calc manually by multiplying the base dps x 1.88 for impale and then x 1.3 for double damage

Flesh & Stone setup (more deeps)

Determination setup (tankier)

Unbuffed

Flasks up

"
Pro Cons
PRO:
- Hands down the highest damage for Dominating Blow sentinels
- One of the tankiest summoners you can get: capped molten shell, max phys rediction, antistun & magic guardian ES regen ascendancy
- Keeps high ES by 3.10 standards can reach 8k+ without clarity watcher's eye, more with ultimate minmaxing
- Good mobility
- Flexible setup, you can choose auras to get max damage or more armor/evasion, cluster jewels enable triple displine+grace+determination all of them with 76% inc aura effect

- I don't think core gear is that prohibitive (most expensive gear were 1.3ex shavs and 90c chayula presence)
- Melee summoner playstyle that gets to the face of mobs to spawn minions

CON:
- Melee summoner playstyle has to get to the face of mobs to spawn minions
- If you are an expert dedicated summoner, dom blow will maybe not impress (or maybe not now that i calc'ed the dps numbers :p)

- Definitely not an SSF build
- LL type build weak when starting (but I did it anyway) so also deffo not for HC
- Doesn't use the very stronk prism guardian triaura

- In the end I think Dominating Blow and melee guardian still need some love on the guardian melee damage dept and sentinel sustain when bossing dept
- Watcher's eye clarity mana>ES that gives a crapload of ES costs tens exalts
- ES gets nerfed very often because other classes reached absurd amounts without even having dedicated ascendancies (CI jugs what in tarnation have you done boys)

Current Gear

Explanation on gear and choices

Chaber Cairn
This weapon is IMO the ultimate Dom Blow weapn, +3 total to Dominating Blow, plus it keeps some damage to enable killing the first trash mobs

Memory Vault & Shaper's Touch
Bread and butter Guardian property and trademark. More mana, more reservation (which guardian wants), more ES with STR, armor/ES base

Shavs wrapping, chayula amu and life reservation
Life Reservation + Shavs + Presence of Chayula

Life reservation to take full advantage of Radiant Faith (160% life reserved -> extra armor) plus an extra very needed aura.

Shavs to enable such reservation (chaos dmg does not bypass ES)

Chayula to give antistun, to bring chaos res to 0, and to give more ES

The above combine together and as a result I reached 7k es antistun an extra aura and all the stuff.

Gem links

Still finalizing the gem setup

Dominating blow + Brutality + Multistrike + Fortify + Impale + MeleePhysDmg/MeleeSplash

Stone/Carrion Golem + Feeding Frenzy
Extra summon holy relic when you get room and Minion life/damage if you got slots
^(above can be put into 6 Linked CWDT setups below)

CWDT level 1 + Desecrate + Vaal Molten Shell

CWDT 20 + Vulnerability + Flesh Offering
Both cwdt20 gems can go as manual cast if you feel like it

Standalone gems:
Convocation
Flame Dash

Auras:
Dread Banner + Generosity
Vaal Discipline

Pick two of the three below:
Pride
Determination
Flesh & Stone + Maim

NOTE: one aura must go into Blood Magic there are many combos

Examples:

Determination
Pride + Blood Magic

or

Pride
Flesh & Stone + Maim + Blood Magic

Flesh & Stone gives a lot of dps, Determination is more tanky
If you feel confident (for example are used to squishy chars) you can go on with flesh & stone which deals shitloads of dmg, I personally run with the safer determination when mapping so i can pay less attention, it gets 30k armor unbuffed and damage is still adeguate.

Bonus if you have Stalwart Commander jewels, for more tank you can drop pride for Grace and reach 50%/75% evasion with/wo flask

Leveling, gear & tree progression

Leveling was fairly easy, about uniques you can use the usual leveling uniques for which there are many good guides ex. https://www.poe-vault.com/guides/beginner-guide-to-unique-items-for-leveling-in-path-of-exile-delirium-310 (personally i never use any and just enjoy the walk)

Tree progression:
For the tree i rushed Spiritual Aid and Spiritual Command (minion aspd and dmg also affect you) then i took Resolute Technique (to be respecced later) and i proceeded to open paths, the two life nodes take priority then it is about opening paths and balancing damage and defense

You can temporally take the armor nodes near RT and between templar/marauder if you have regret orbs at hand.

Weapons & gems:
Thanks to the minion nodes you can use any melee weapon, I went for a dual weapon pref. sceptres with smite + summon holy relic which is quite strong early

At act3 you will unlock dominating blow

At level 40 you can use the Chober Chaber that is the level40 precursor of Chober Cairn.
Here is the neat trick, the 6L costs 10c
:)))) https://poe.trade/search/ananokoharasim

Buy also the prophecy Faith Exhumed (You will defeat Tolman, the Exhumer while holding Chober Chaber) to create Chober Cairn
https://poe.trade/search/ukeniyodahaubo once you kill Mausoleum map boss tadah you got a 6L for like 11c :D :D

First core upgrades are shaper touch and memory vault. Then shavs then presence of chayula, other pieces just get some 1c stuff with resist

The harsh part is when early mapping and transitioning from life to shavs and life reservation. It's easy if you can buy it already, it's a pain if you need to farm to buy it (which i did btw)

You will get shavronne asap (after helm & gloves) and use zealot oath once ES is about 2/3 of you total pool. Life reservation is your call on when you feel confident (i suggest to not use bloodmagic and exclude pride/flesh&stone from the auras until you are confident that about your tankiness)

For making money at the absolute beginning some chaos recipe helps a lot to get cash for the first items https://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Vendor_recipe_system#Full_Rare_Sets

Playstyle & tips

Guardian sentinel summoner is slightly different than Necro in that it needs to get in contact to spawn minions, for this reason it does need to be tanky af.

The rest is about the same, you rely on your minions for damage each one dealing 200-450k deeps.

How minions and summoner works:
Minions go where your cursor and action is pointing at. It means that if you move somewhere, minions will start going to that point. The same principle applies for attacks and spells at any range.

Once you got the hang of this principle, you will notice that sometimes you are faster than your minions, and this is a lot of lost damage and slows you down to abysmal levels.

The solution to this, is manual cast Convocation that is basically a minion bomb on top of your char. With convocation you can move where you need to be and then move the minions where they need to be.

Spam flasks -> run to pack -> tag with Dominating blow -> minion bomb with conviocation -> move to next.

Once you learn this cycle your summoner will get as fast as any other build.

The main advantage of minion builds is that obviously your minions are chasing stuff while you're doing something else, this means that you get an edge in damage application while stopping to loot or while kiting for example, and this is how summoners mainly keep up the pace compared to attack/caster builds

WIP
Gives streamers & friends queue priority and leaves supporters who spent hundreds $ packs in the 100k queue.

GGG: Don't you guys follow streamers?
Last edited by ZaeN on Apr 4, 2020, 10:48:54 AM
Last bumped on Jun 1, 2020, 10:02:14 AM
Reserved.

Will keep adding to OP
Gives streamers & friends queue priority and leaves supporters who spent hundreds $ packs in the 100k queue.

interesting build, im on the way to play domination blow guardian but with scourge, not sure whats more tanky. I wanna do it just for delve ;)
"
tm14984 wrote:
interesting build, im on the way to play domination blow guardian but with scourge, not sure whats more tanky. I wanna do it just for delve ;)

Thanks! I considered it as well, scourge + prism guardian and triple purity aura looks amazing.

Damage was a concern however and coloring 5R1G on a shav wrapping would be quite a challenge/investment.

Anyway i'll make one with scourge+prism guardian someday, maybe using something like herald of purity, animate weaps, or smite

Last edited by ZaeN on Mar 26, 2020, 7:44:26 PM
Alright I have finalized the cluster jewels variant and now it definitely looks like a strong build

Hi, i'm pretty new to PoE in terms of knowledge I usually just follow very in-depth guides. What are some leveling uniques I should use? This is my 2nd character so I have some money to spend, and what gems to use early game?
"
Hi, i'm pretty new to PoE in terms of knowledge I usually just follow very in-depth guides. What are some leveling uniques I should use? This is my 2nd character so I have some money to spend, and what gems to use early game?

Hi sorry i spent too much time with the cluster jewels and didnt add leveling section.

Leveling was fairly easy, about uniques you can use the usual leveling uniques for which there are many good guides ex. https://www.poe-vault.com/guides/beginner-guide-to-unique-items-for-leveling-in-path-of-exile-delirium-310 (personally i never use any and just enjoy the walk)

For weapons & gems I went for a dual weapon pref. sceptres with smite + summon holy relic which is quite strong early

At act3 you will unlock dominating blow

At level 40 you can use the Chober Chaber that is the level40 precursor of Chober Cairn.
Here is the neat trick, the 6L costs 10c
:)))) https://poe.trade/search/ananokoharasim

Buy also the prophecy to create Chober Cairn
https://poe.trade/search/ukeniyodahaubo once you kill Mausoleum map boss tadah you got a 6L for like 11c :D :D

For the tree i rushed Spiritual Aid and Spiritual Command (minion aspd and dmg also affect you) then i took Resolute Technique (to be respecced later) and i proceeded to open paths, the two life nodes take priority then it is about balancing damage and defense

You can temporally take the armor nodes near RT and between templar/marauder if you have regret orbs at hand.

First core upgrades are shaper touch and memory vault. Then shavs then presence of chayula, other pieces just get some 1c stuff with resist

The harsh part is when early mapping and transitioning from life to shavs and life reservation. It's easy if you can buy it already, it's a pain if you need to farm to buy it (which i did btw)

You will get shavronne asap (after helm & gloves) and use zealot oath once ES is about 2/3 of you total pool. Life reservation is your call on when you feel confident (i suggest to not use bloodmagic pride/flesh&stone until you are confident)

For making money at the absolute beginning some chaos recipe helps a lot to get cash for the first items https://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Vendor_recipe_system#Full_Rare_Sets

It should be all more or less, I'll put something more detailed once i get more time

Last edited by ZaeN on Mar 27, 2020, 10:42:10 PM
Thank you very much! I did not know that at all about the 6L at level 40 and the prophecy. I just picked up smite and will use that to level up!
swaped now from scourge build to yours, it looks really interesting and never played ES Build ;) but first i need to level up ;)

Which ascendenc path you go first?
Last edited by tm14984 on Mar 29, 2020, 5:54:43 PM
this build remenber Kingsguard - LL aurabot, it is very interisting, try add The Hungry Loop with animate guardian and swap fortify for herald of purity

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info