GGPK Defragmenter

"
Zoxc wrote:
You can always run the Ruby script :)

I re-uploaded the Windows executable for you.

Thank you so very much. Lets see if my loading times now get a little shorter. ;)
Awesome, gonna try this out, thanks!
"
Dia_BOLIC wrote:
Thank you so very much. Lets see if my loading times now get a little shorter. ;)

It depends how many times you've patched the game. The more the game gets patched, the more bloated 'content.ggpk' gets with empty space. To see a real benefit in loading times from defragmenting you'll need to have patched the game quite a few times. Also, remember to always back up your original 'content.ggpk' file because there is a chance the defragmented 'content.ggpk' will be rejected by the game.
Forum Sheriff
My 2TB hard drive makes me lazy to bother with this lol. Whats ~850mb when I have 1300GB free?
I shaved off 650MB from a 5.5GB file. I think this is a pretty useful tool, and I've noticed my game load faster than before.
For Ranger build tips, tactics, and critiques, visit this thread:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/69224
i can't tell if this did anything o.o i clicked it, dos window appeared for a full second then poof XD.
*retard moment*
"
Sir_LogiC wrote:
My 2TB hard drive makes me lazy to bother with this lol. Whats ~850mb when I have 1300GB free?

Eh, some people may want to be saving some space on their solid state drives where space isn't cheap.
"
soul4hdwn wrote:
i can't tell if this did anything o.o i clicked it, dos window appeared for a full second then poof XD.
*retard moment*

Hi soul4hdwn,

maybe you should read the whole post, that would give you some instructions on how to
do this. This description from radiatoren helped me out.

Oh radiatoren, by the way: Tanks! ;)

"
radiatoren wrote:
1. You need to run cmd.exe

2. Go to the location of your client.exe in the command prompt by using cd.. and cd <foldername> as commands.

3. Write "ggpk_defragment.exe content.ggpk content2.ggpk"

The program will take several minutes to finish. After it has finished it will tell you.

4. Go to the folder of your client.exe.

5. Change name of content.ggpk to contentold.ggpk

6. Change name of content2.ggpk to content.ggpk

Then you have done it right! :)

ps. I assume you have moved ggpk_defragment.exe into the path of exile folder, I assume that Client.exe and content.ggpk is in the same folder and that folder is the path of exile folder - anything else would seem illogical.
This is really cool. How did you decipher the pack format ? Start with PackCheck to see what it did ?
I started playing at 0.9.3 (mid-Nov'11), been updating at most patches since then.

pre-defrag:
5.17 GB (5,556,577,998 bytes)
fresh Win7 boot, PoE load time: 136s

post-defrag:
4.56 GB (4,906,156,462 bytes)
fresh Win7 boot, PoE load time: 79s

saved:
650 MB (12% decrease)
57s (42% decrease)

Excellent tool, thanks! Clearly its utility isn't in disk space savings, but rather in the load time improvement. Nobody cares about 650 MB these days, but 60 precious seconds of load time is huge.

I was dismayed how over the months, the game was taking longer, and longer, and longer, and longer to load. While this shaves off a significant amount, i still think the game takes far too long to load. When i first started playing it was a 10 second affair or something! 80 seconds is crazy, considering the game hasn't changed that much. What's the load time going to be when we have 10 acts?
SC: 95 97 93 96 100 93 94 93 94 95 96 97 94 93 94
HC RIP: 94 96
Character archive: view-thread/963707
Last edited by unsane on Jan 15, 2013, 4:44:56 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info