GGPK Defragmenter

"
Raptor2213 wrote:
Wouldn't it just be easier to have just used Contig?

Just set up a Windows task to run:
contig "C:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\Path of Exile" -s

I set up mine to run every morning about 4x.

You could even create a batch file to open the game, then run contig after it's closed.

I don't think that's the same thing.

the GGPK defragmenter defrags the INTERNAL contents of the Content.ggpk file. Just as your hard drive has a file system on it where all the files are stored, etc and it can get defragmented (which is what Contig and Defrag normally help with), in the case of the Content.ggpk file, it contains an internal mini filesystem. This internal filesystem ALSO can get fragmented due to patching, etc. The GGPK Defragmenter takes the internal files and re-organizes them to remove wasted space.
Damn.. there really should be some internal defragmenter that runs whenever there's a (big) patch.

"
Elapsed time: 0.83 minute(s)
File reduction: 2616.34 MB(s)
Successfully defragmented the GGPK.

Think I re-downloaded the game to clean my GGPK file around the time open beta hit; would've probably been a bigger since the game has been on my system since CB. (November 14 2011, whew)

Thanks for this tool; gave me back valuable space and hopefully improved the game's performance, if ever slightly.

Also, to anyone using this: Don't forget to actually defrag the file after using the tool since it most likely became fragmented again. You can either run a full system defrag or run a tool like Defraggler to defrag a single file. (This is entirely different from defragmenting the file internally via this tool)
I don't mean to sound rude, but I can't help the way people interpret my words.
Last edited by DAOWAce on Nov 11, 2013, 8:53:18 PM
Thanks for the tool.
i want to ask whether in-game loading time is decreasing? My ingame loading time is long either. For example; when i try to go to from town to ledge (or somewhere else) it takes too long.
Sorry for bad english. Thanks
"
etacarinae32 wrote:
Thanks for the tool.
i want to ask whether in-game loading time is decreasing? My ingame loading time is long either. For example; when i try to go to from town to ledge (or somewhere else) it takes too long.
Sorry for bad english. Thanks

Defragging your Content.ggpk file should make most loading times faster. It shouldn't make loading times longer. If you're getting longer loading times after the defrag, then it's probably coincidental... or your Content.ggpk file hasn't been defragged on the HDD.

(Don't do that if you have an SSD).

There are 2 different defrags being talked about here. The Content.ggpk is like a mini filesystem (archive). It contains a lot of internal files. This application takes and re-arranges those internal files inside the larger file to make them contiguous. The second defrag is a HDD defrag which re-arranges the files on your hard drive to make them contiguous. You want the Content.ggpk file all in one place on the drive (not spread out), and you want all the files inside it to be all next to each other and contiguous.

Does that make sense?
-File size reduced 2577.25MBs
-Load time reduced to aprox ~10seconds

Tool is amazing, highly recommend it.
Can someone help me? I don't find the Content.ggpk it isn't in my PoE folder.
"
LeetMonster wrote:
-File size reduced 2577.25MBs
-Load time reduced to aprox ~10seconds

Tool is amazing, highly recommend it.

QFT.

Shaved 2800 mb off my file, will try the performance tomorrow.
Be ready. You're not paranoid, you're PREPARED.

I quit this game every few months and so should you to continue playing it in the future.

The device is believed to have been dropped
what.. it doesnt work anymore, i donwloaded fresh clean files of PoE when i defrag content.ggpk it only defrags 18mb (when i run packcheck i get content.ggpk file) na it compresses that file (aprox 16mb lol)
"
matolife10 wrote:
what.. it doesnt work anymore, i donwloaded fresh clean files of PoE when i defrag content.ggpk it only defrags 18mb (when i run packcheck i get content.ggpk file) na it compresses that file (aprox 16mb lol)

It works. Offc it only shaved 18 mb, if you did fresh download. Its liek using windows over time and you get shit loads of unnecessary files and temp data stored and temporary install files etc from newely installed programs. And you have to run Defrag weekly, to keep windows running smooth and stable. It is the same with the POE.
GGG thank you for all the great things you are doing. You have combined every element of all other great Rpg's and joined them together as one Diamond, that will shine Forever.

This is coming straight from the heart <3

I've had the game installed for a long time. Almost 2 gigs saved.

Going to boot up the game and see if there's any performance increase, but I'm impressed so far!

EDIT: Seems to be faster. I didn't do any before/after tests, so I can't say for certain, but act to act seems faster. Bootup seemed faster too.
Last edited by tsxp on Dec 11, 2013, 9:45:09 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info