Arctic Armour

"
MortalKombat3 wrote:
"
Antenex wrote:
Would be nice if it was slightly less reduced mana. Or slightly higher less damage taken.

It's still a great skill for 25% mana reservation. The only it could use is permanent damage reduction, not just while stationary...

It really is not. When you look at it as a whole its a pretty weak skill now. Quality'in it is pretty much pointless. The medigation offered is only so-so and only applies while you're not moving yet you have to give up 25% of your mana and as a caster invest into dex.

If quality still offered the movement speed bonus maybe it'd be worth it maybe but now I really dont see how this is supposed to worth 25% of your mana. The way it is now it should be a fixed amount of reserved mana like it is with Clarity.
"
gotteshand wrote:

It really is not. When you look at it as a whole its a pretty weak skill now. Quality'in it is pretty much pointless. The medigation offered is only so-so and only applies while you're not moving yet you have to give up 25% of your mana and as a caster invest into dex.

If quality still offered the movement speed bonus maybe it'd be worth it maybe but now I really dont see how this is supposed to worth 25% of your mana. The way it is now it should be a fixed amount of reserved mana like it is with Clarity.

???

If you think it isn't worth it for your build, drop it.
It's not like you have to use it.

I gladly spend 25% of my mana to slow down monsters passively all day and get some (possibly life-saving) damage reduction while not moving.
I'd probably even use it without the damage reduction part.

13% less damage sound "so-so"?
Let's say, you get hit by 5k physical damage.
5k x 0.87 = 4350
So you're surving that hit with a lifepool of 4351 instead of the 5001 you needed before.
It is basically a "more life" aura (against physical and fire damage).

The effect is probably even higher than 50% reservation Determination (because armor damage reduction is misleading) or Grace (with or without IR), so AA is the best defensive aura in this game.
3.5 build: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2299519
Last edited by Peterlerock on Aug 13, 2015, 5:18:17 AM
"
Casia wrote:
"
Noburu wrote:
Does flickerstrike count as being stationary? You don't leave chilled ground between hops like you do with leap slam.

I "don't" think so. Its a movement skill. Anyone have a good idea how we could test this?

1v1 pvp, one player with molten shell or whatever else to deal damage when hit, other player with flicker and AA. Record damage amounts done to flicker-striker with AA on and off a bunch of times.

You could do similar things with more people if you felt like testing whether the first hit was special, etc.
http://www.twitch.tv/exhortatory
"
Casia wrote:

Its a pure dex gem.

It's not. Get your facts right.
It's a dex/int gem.

I've read somewhere here that that it kicks in after reductions from armor.
Doesn't that mean it doesn't work like Peterlerock calculated it?

It would mitigate way less damage:

5000*0.56 (example value of dmg mitigation with ~8k armor)=2807
2807*0.87=2436

371 dmg mitigated by AA.

amiright?

You are correct (mostly). That does not make Peter's statement incorrect though, because his example included only Arctic Armour and nothing else. About that 'mostly':

8k Armour vs. 5k Damage = 8000 / (8000 + (10 * 5000)) = 0.1379
In your example you'd have some 13.8% Damage Reduction from Armour, not 44%.

5000 * 0.138 = 690 Damage reduction from Armour
5000 - 690 = 4310
4310 * 0.13 = 560 DR from Arctic Armour
3750 Damage taken
Thank you four the fast response. I was pretty sure that my defensive values stated 8k armor and 44% reduction. I'm at work so can't check. In the end it seems it boils down to having more damage with one of the heralds or more mitigation with AA.
I'd choose the latter in the current meta.

€ indeed, 8585 armor and my char sheet indicates it's 49% estimated phys dmg reduction

€2 you learn something everyday. Cheers!
Last edited by anone on Aug 25, 2015, 3:07:59 AM
It's an estimate, based on the average Damage a white monster of your level deals. They don't deal 5k Damage per hit, so the listed average PDR is much higher than what you get against powerful hits. Just how Armour works. :)
"
Vipermagi wrote:
You are correct (mostly). That does not make Peter's statement incorrect though, because his example included only Arctic Armour and nothing else.

I probably should have written "5k damage after armor" or something like this.

I just want to say that the change made so that the skill just acts like a normal aura is boring... before this the skill was an interesting thing to build around, it was a way to actively degen your mana and that was cool, I was thinking about doing something with lavianga's spirit and having a way to actively keep from topping up my mana pool would of been a neat thing to use ( I know i could use Shavronne's Revelation but it's different because you can't use your mana at all)

Now it's just another boring aura.... and honestly having it engage and disengage with movement is just kinda stupid cause you don't know exactly when things are being mitigated and when they are not, it's very strange IMO.
Last edited by n3xx on Sep 4, 2015, 7:47:43 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info