[3.9] Champion Impale Shrapnel Ballista | 7K+ Life | Great Single Target! | All Content!

Hello and Hey! Thanks for stopping in. I made a video guide for this build, so if you're interested please check it out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7ODi6o38i4

It's what I used to take down the Awakener and can be fitted for a number of budgets and preferences!

Let me know what you think! Feel free to ask any questions here or on the video itself!

League Starter?
No, not really. You certainly can, but it's far from an enjoyable experience. Once you get to some of your uniques, it will feel incredibly good, but until that time, it's slow and you'll wish you played something else. Take this from a guy that League Started it as Conversion before leveling with it for this build. It's a rough time before your items.

If I don't like totem builds, will this change my mind?
Not even a little bit, you have to be incredibly active to use Shrapnel Ballista as your main skill. Because you place them nearly at your own feet and want them to be as close as possible to what they are shooting, it requires your positioning to be fantastic. Unless you were simply bored by totems and wished you could raise the skill floor on them, then this might be a bit more up your alley.

Pros?
-Single-target/setpiece fights. Metamorph encounters are the perfect example of what we perform the best at. Blasting a small area for immense damage.
-Your totems allow you to back out of a situation briefly without losing any uptime. And replacing slain ballista is VERY quick.
-Your high-ish Life Pool allows you to take hits when your solid Hit Avoidance mechanics fail you.
-Getting the build off of the ground isn't too expensive. And it's flexible enough that you can throw in plenty of different things on the way to your perfect gear.

Gear
This section can be tough as rares will always be able to compete for most of the slots, however, here are a few uniques for each to consider.

-Helm:
Starkonja's Head (Enchant: Shrapnel Ballista fires and Additional Arrow)
-Chest:
Kaom's Heart (Flat Health)
Yriel's Fostering (Evasion, Movement Speed, Attack Speed, Accuracy, Crit Chance, Solid Life)
Lioneye's Vision (Supported by Level 15 pierce, some Life)
-Gloves:
Empire's Grasp (If using Chin Sol, will suck enemies into the barrel of our shotgun ballistas.)
-Quiver:
Skirmish (And extra ballista will beat out any amount of damage for the slot, but will restrict it to having no defensive options)
-Bow
Chin Sol (Combined with Empire's Grasp, it will allow for enemies to be pulled in to multiple other projectiles. Heavy Damage multiplier within 20 units)
Arborix (Additional Projectiles and More Multiplier at Close Range, 'problem' is that it has toggled Iron Reflexes, making for less quality of life. However, if you place your totems well, it outperforms Chin Sol)

Gems/Links
Shrapnel Ballista - Impale - Brutality - Pierce - Vicious Projectiles - Maim

Pride - Flesh and Stone - Maim - Enlighten

Precision - War Banner - Flame Dash - Vaal Haste

Steelskin - Frenzy - Power Charge on Critical - Impale

Find a spot for Ensnaring Arrow (I missed the line on the gem that says ensnared enemies take 20% increased Projectile Damage from Attack Skills.)

Also, Blood Rage if you've still got the sockets!

Ice Golem if you still have more room.

Damage Potential
I need to make a video for this specifically as it's not unreasonable to achieve over 20Million Shaper DPS for insanely long periods of time. Not full glass cannon, either. Can manage 6k HP no problem.

As stated, will update when crunched a little harder.

Path of Building

-High Damage, High Life: https://pastebin.com/Xg7GsJCF

-Immense Damage, Medium Life: https://pastebin.com/Eav8hcy2

-Lower Damage, Immense Life: https://pastebin.com/Cea9s7Sy

Last edited by Ghostzapper on Jan 2, 2020, 3:27:37 AM
Last bumped on Jan 30, 2020, 10:12:31 AM
-Updated gear (Dec 29,2019)
-Multiple PoB Trees Added (Dec 30, 2019)
Last edited by Ghostzapper on Dec 30, 2019, 6:08:00 PM
I've started leveling duelist recently, and really interested to play ballistas, just wanted to ask how does it feel in general? Like from watching video i can see that clear speed isn't best, and that blight wasn't the easiest tho nothing bad. What about survivability? Do you experience one shots very often?
"
Profatum wrote:
I've started leveling duelist recently, and really interested to play ballistas, just wanted to ask how does it feel in general? Like from watching video i can see that clear speed isn't best, and that blight wasn't the easiest tho nothing bad. What about survivability? Do you experience one shots very often?

Once you settle in to the slower playstyle that you noted, it feels fine. Things around you die, no matter their health. And that's really where it's separated itself. From my limited experience playing other characters this league, T16 Health pools, especially the Metamorphs, can feel like bullet sponges, but this build just takes a couple seconds to melt them (without needing to weigh the mods on the body parts). It's a fairly active playstyle, too. Constantly moving and dropping ballistas, tapping your entire keyboard when you want that extra bit of damage. It's rewarding.

As far as survivablility goes, it's highly above average. Champion is quite the tank, as I'm sure you're aware. And sitting there with 7k HP, only if you're standing still in front of serious heavy-hitters are you in danger of getting one-shot. I truly have felt that all my deaths this league were my poor play/bad decisions. On top of that, you can easily trade out some of the excess damage for quite a bit of defensive stats. Spell Dodge is something that I am valuing VERY highly this league and felt an IMMEDIATE difference once I allocated Phase Acrobatics.

If you were already open to playing the build, absolutely go for it. I'm obviously super biased, but I've enjoyed it. Not my favorite all-time build. Still, I've been having a blast, it's rewarding to play actively and do immense damage, and it's effective this league. Good luck!
"
Ghostzapper wrote:
"
Profatum wrote:

Once you settle in to the slower playstyle that you noted, it feels fine. Things around you die, no matter their health. And that's really where it's separated itself. From my limited experience playing other characters this league, T16 Health pools, especially the Metamorphs, can feel like bullet sponges, but this build just takes a couple seconds to melt them (without needing to weigh the mods on the body parts). It's a fairly active playstyle, too. Constantly moving and dropping ballistas, tapping your entire keyboard when you want that extra bit of damage. It's rewarding.

As far as survivablility goes, it's highly above average. Champion is quite the tank, as I'm sure you're aware. And sitting there with 7k HP, only if you're standing still in front of serious heavy-hitters are you in danger of getting one-shot. I truly have felt that all my deaths this league were my poor play/bad decisions. On top of that, you can easily trade out some of the excess damage for quite a bit of defensive stats. Spell Dodge is something that I am valuing VERY highly this league and felt an IMMEDIATE difference once I allocated Phase Acrobatics.

If you were already open to playing the build, absolutely go for it. I'm obviously super biased, but I've enjoyed it. Not my favorite all-time build. Still, I've been having a blast, it's rewarding to play actively and do immense damage, and it's effective this league. Good luck!

Thanks for the reply, i've decided to give it a try, and well, im using tabula with some leveling uniques but right now feels very good. I'm not sure about phase acrobatics tbh though. Like everybody in poe ninja ( even there is only 10 ppl using this skill ) goes to iron reflexes ignoring dodge, and i've never personally liked dodge. Even a lot deadeyes go to iron reflexes, while they don't waste their 2k flat armour like we do. So what are your thoughts about soul of steel + a lot of armour vs spell dodge?
Last edited by Profatum on Dec 30, 2019, 3:22:20 PM
"
Thanks for the reply, i've decided to give it a try, and well, im using tabula with some leveling uniques but right now feels very good. I'm not sure about phase acrobatics tbh though. Like everybody in poe ninja ( even there is only 10 ppl using this skill ) goes to iron reflexes ignoring dodge, and i've never personally liked dodge. Even a lot deadeyes go to iron reflexes, while they don't waste their 2k flat armour like we do. So what are your thoughts about soul of steel + a lot of armour vs spell dodge?

If it's something that you're not into, then that's totally fine. Pretty sure if people are taking Iron Reflexes then they are using Arborix as their bow, at least in most cases. But Soul of Steel is a great choice. I haven't found too many physical damage sources too threatening, but it's option. I prefer Dodge, but I also haven't done extensive testing.
I'm coming over from a Heiro Ele hit build that suffered a major nerf in 3.9. THis build fit well...I already had Kaoms, Arborix, Skirmish, Starks, and a perfect totem jewel. I'm thinking for gloves I'm going to run the near perfect Winds of Change I have---the 49% increased projectile damage is pretty awesome. Also I am going to run a 40% Belly over Kaoms, without needing the fire damage 40% to max health and sockets will out do the +500.

I noticed leveling that Vulnerability is a huge dps boost, do you run the Frenzy/power on crit gems just for charges?

Could run blasphemy support+Vuner instead of pride and save 15% mana reserved....i personally don't mind clicking Vunerability so I'll run increased radius in place of blasphemy.

So far the build is going well, thanks for it!

For leveling bows I suggest Quillrain until Death's Harp at 32.
Last edited by Wharhogg on Dec 30, 2019, 8:56:43 PM
don't forget about the belt The Nomad. this will be massive massive dps boost and keeps some resistances.

if you're able to sac the life, it would be huge. upwards of 90% dmg, 50% inc flask charges gained, 25% all res. yes plz
Heya i got a stupid question, is this build playable with the Perseverance + Daresso's Defiance "combo"?

I dropped a perfect perseverance and 6linked a perfect Daresso's Defiance with 3fus, so i wanted to play some character with this "combo".

Do you know if the Onslaught buff works on ballistas?
"
Wharhogg wrote:
I'm coming over from a Heiro Ele hit build that suffered a major nerf in 3.9. THis build fit well...I already had Kaoms, Arborix, Skirmish, Starks, and a perfect totem jewel. I'm thinking for gloves I'm going to run the near perfect Winds of Change I have---the 49% increased projectile damage is pretty awesome. Also I am going to run a 40% Belly over Kaoms, without needing the fire damage 40% to max health and sockets will out do the +500.

I noticed leveling that Vulnerability is a huge dps boost, do you run the Frenzy/power on crit gems just for charges?

Could run blasphemy support+Vuner instead of pride and save 15% mana reserved....i personally don't mind clicking Vunerability so I'll run increased radius in place of blasphemy.

So far the build is going well, thanks for it!

For leveling bows I suggest Quillrain until Death's Harp at 32.

Glad you're fitting in your own choices! Sucks that the build you wanted got hit, but happy this one is working for you.

Yup! To the Frenzy/Crit, strictly for charges. I thought that I would be able to have an attack to spam while the totems did their thing, but it can actually be a bit tough to work in. Frenzy charges are incredible for these slow attackers, and blood rage is an option, but I didn't like it at all.

I ran Blasphemy+Vulnerability until I corrupted my gloves, and you're right, quite the DPS gain. But if you can stand to self-cast even better! Good luck!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info