No one has ever complained about death penalties? really?

"
666lol666 wrote:
"
Redwyrm wrote:

Don't treat lvl-100 as an ultimate goal.
I never did...

In every other arpg the ultimate goal is to reach the max level and I don't see why it shouldn't be the ultimate goal in poe? It's a design flaw that the game does not get harder after some point and that all you need to do after that point is to play safe aka play the same boring map for a few 100 times to finally hit lvl 100.

PoE is not an every game, and that's the whole beauty of it ;)
"
666lol666 wrote:

In every other arpg the ultimate goal is to reach the max level and I don't see why it shouldn't be the ultimate goal in poe? It's a design flaw that the game does not get harder after some point and that all you need to do after that point is to play safe aka play the same boring map for a few 100 times to finally hit lvl 100.

So much weird logic here.

It's a design flaw that an action role playing game created by a company called "grinding gear games" requires a whole bunch of repetition as it's primary focus in the endgame.

And i don't even know where you get this notion that "all you need to do is play it safe and run easy content". It's one strategy of many to play the game and reach lvl 100. It's not the only strategy and a lot of people actually find it stupid to do so and create builds that run the highest content constantly.

"
Turtledove wrote:
The experience loss on death is a cheap dirty way to provide a death penalty. There really needs to be some kind of penalty for death in softcore.

? ?

Peace,

-Boem-
Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes
"
garrison1 wrote:
It should be reduced to 5% from level 90 on. You lose too much fucking experience from 95 and up. 10% takes far too long to get back because mobs are no longer giving you good experience any more.

^ this by a long mile !

At those level the amount of xp needed to reach the next level grows exponentially and thus the death penalty also, because its 10% based on your current level

The problem with the current way:

- What kills you at lvl 92 will still kill you at lvl 94+ but the death penalty will be harsher and because a lot of time you dont feel like yopu were able to react to it (rainbow cluster fuck, etc etc) it does not feel fair at all.

- At that point you are probably capping your maximum xp/hr per hour and you reach a point where the death penalty can put you in the negative that mean you can end with less xp than when you started your play session.

So there is 2 choice to make it more fair :

-Reduce gradually the death penalty propertionally to the level you are gining so that the penalty stay the same past 90 no matter the level you are.

Or

-Make the death penalty be a % of your current gaming session xp earned or relative to your current xp/hour earned.

^ This would be my favorite, this would adjust with your clearing speed and way of playing while still keeping death penalty revelant as everyone would be penalized more fairly vs the way they play (fast or slow for example).
It's already too easy to hit level 100.

Exp requirement should be doubled for 95-100, and death penalty should be increased by 1% each time you die until a cap of 25% or so.
"
baronzo wrote:

Exp requirement should be doubled for 95-100, and death penalty should be increased by 1% each time you die until a cap of 25% or so.

nice troll
"
"
baronzo wrote:

nice troll

Nah just facts
"There's no thing like random one-shots in this game. You only die because you take 353,456,237 hits in 0.2 seconds."

"The best items in the game should not be crafted, they should be TRADED." - Cent, GGG
Where are the good old times, when I had to look at map mods and make a decision if I am willing to take the risk or pass?

IMHO, it is pointless to argue if the penalty is too low or too high. The hole mechanic feels totally wrong on both sides because it fails to telegraph anything.

The death penalty is entirely undermined by power creep and poorly telegraphed one-shot mechanics. The moment you get this idea, it is just a noob trap that can be overcome easily by using the latest meta build.

I have no clue, if this is intended and if GGG has any plans to fix it.

Let's explore new playstyles - Play it your own way, not just like the others.
Quality management is one of the most underrated success factors in every business...
I would like to see GGG put some more separation between the natural Character Level progression and the Level 100 track. That is, preserve the Level 100 experience but with limited exposure for everyone else to the hurdles deemed appropriate for preservation of the Level 100 experience.

So one simple idea would be (bearing in mind that while the best ideas tend to be simple; all simple ideas are definitely not the best):

Put all the extra Level 100 "pain" into the last Level. Make the experience requirement for the last Level as massive as the Level 100 Community (LCC) deems fit. Make the Death Penalty during the last Level what the LCC deems fit. Make the experience multipliers for the last Level what the LCC prefers. Etc. But then ... have GGG basically ignore the LCC specific stuff when it comes to the other Levels.

And since it is POE: let experience continue to accumulate past Level 100 (but with no benefits attached) and let there be an Uncapped Experience Ladder. Let there be no rest at Level 100.
Formerly posted under AnExile_onthePath
"
walkjohn55 wrote:
I would like to see GGG put some more separation between the natural Character Level progression and the Level 100 track. That is, preserve the Level 100 experience but with limited exposure for everyone else to the hurdles deemed appropriate for preservation of the Level 100 experience.

So one simple idea would be (bearing in mind that while the best ideas tend to be simple; all simple ideas are definitely not the best):

Put all the extra Level 100 "pain" into the last Level. Make the experience requirement for the last Level as massive as the Level 100 Community (LCC) deems fit. Make the Death Penalty during the last Level what the LCC deems fit. Make the experience multipliers for the last Level what the LCC prefers. Etc. But then ... have GGG basically ignore the LCC specific stuff when it comes to the other Levels.

And since it is POE: let experience continue to accumulate past Level 100 (but with no benefits attached) and let there be an Uncapped Experience Ladder. Let there be no rest at Level 100.

That wouldn't change anything tbh. The underlying problem of this entire death penalty topic is entitlement. Players feel entitled to reach level 100. They believe they have a right to reach this level and that there shouldn't be any hurdles preventing them from reaching it. That's why they want it removed. Level 100 is in the game so they need to have it but ofc they don't want to change their way of playing or, god help, work for it.

No matter what GGG does, the whining won't stop until every last newb can make 100 in his first week at latest like in D3. The people that are crying here would have been whining about D2 as well as it was the same thing there, level 100 required a hell of a lot of grinding and dying was painful as hell despite the fact that you were able to recover part of the lost XP.

Personally I am glad that GGG isn't listening. There are enough games like D3 out there that literally force everything down your throat making it entirely unnecessary to put any sort of learning/working effort into it. I don't know if I will ever try to take on the level 100 challenge in this game but it's good to know it's there. A game without goals left to reach is a game that's no longer worth playing.
Last edited by Baharoth15 on Nov 19, 2019, 10:33:41 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info