No one has ever complained about death penalties? really?

I know its part of the reason I keep quitting. Ive only made it to mapping twice. Apparently I just keep picking really bad builds to go for. But the current league is the highest ive ever gottan at 95 but I feel stuck. Since Im doing a summoning build the idea is stay back away from danger. But then this game has these silly 1 shot mechanics which are supposed to be telegraphed so you can avoid them. Sure if you let me zoom the camera out so I could actually see the telegraph is happening. Cant dodge what you cant see coming if its off screen. Then other fights the stage is too small to even get distance between you and everything thats gonna mess you up. I would think since Ive gone so heavy on resistance and damage reduction I would be getting 1 shot by stuff still but apparently thats just part of the game.

But explain to me how losing exp on death is fun? its only a punishment for players trying to get to level. And if you make your own build or use a bad build guide then you are punished for not playing a specific more restricted subset of builds in order to prevent death as much as possible. So what is the death penalty for max levels? as far as i know there isnt one, and there cant be one as items dont have durability.
Last bumped on Nov 26, 2019, 7:29:55 PM
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
Hard to tell whether it's just him misspeaking, the actual idea being that GGG would be getting 10 times as many complaints and players quitting due to the penalty, or whether he's just a moron out of touch with his own community.

Either way, I'll make the pro-shitty-penalty part of the community happy and finally request deletion of this account too. Good luck and patience for those staying.
The experience loss on death is a cheap dirty way to provide a death penalty. There really needs to be some kind of penalty for death in softcore.

The most constructive way to look at it is basically it means that your build is done by the time you reach level 92 to 95. Once you reach that level it is best not to expect to progress further on that specific build. Without this philosophy then rage quitting is an unavoidable result, at least for most players.
Over 430 threads discussing labyrinth problems with over 1040 posters in support (thread # 1702621) Thank you all! GGG will implement a different method for ascension in PoE2. Retired!
"
archonmagus wrote:
I know its part of the reason I keep quitting. Ive only made it to mapping twice. Apparently I just keep picking really bad builds to go for. But the current league is the highest ive ever gottan at 95 but I feel stuck. Since Im doing a summoning build the idea is stay back away from danger. But then this game has these silly 1 shot mechanics which are supposed to be telegraphed so you can avoid them. Sure if you let me zoom the camera out so I could actually see the telegraph is happening. Cant dodge what you cant see coming if its off screen. Then other fights the stage is too small to even get distance between you and everything thats gonna mess you up. I would think since Ive gone so heavy on resistance and damage reduction I would be getting 1 shot by stuff still but apparently thats just part of the game.

But explain to me how losing exp on death is fun? its only a punishment for players trying to get to level. And if you make your own build or use a bad build guide then you are punished for not playing a specific more restricted subset of builds in order to prevent death as much as possible. So what is the death penalty for max levels? as far as i know there isnt one, and there cant be one as items dont have durability.

Losing XP on death isn't supposed to be fun. It's supposed to be a punishment for dying, it's the games way of telling you, if you can't stop dying then you have no business making higher levels.
You people can hate it all you want but GGG does not want everyone to reach level 100. Just like they don't want trading to be easy. If you keep dying and can't level because of it you have 2 choices. Stop dying or stop trying to level. Your choice.

Hint: The latter is really easy and has literally no draw back since the difference between a level 95 and a level 100 char isn't even worth mentioning.
Last edited by Baharoth15 on Nov 18, 2019, 3:03:46 PM
Compare the amount of people who complain about it to the amount of people that play the game. Obviously there isn't anything in the game that doesn't have some person or other complaining about it, but in general its not a huge issue.
It should be reduced to 5% from level 90 on. You lose too much fucking experience from 95 and up. 10% takes far too long to get back because mobs are no longer giving you good experience any more.
i personally like the death penalty. for any semi-decent build its very hard to die past lvl 90 anyway during normal mapping. Died only 2 times on my way to 100 this league.

Another option instead of death penalty would be a chance for gear pieces to lose durability. For this GGG has to introduce a durability mechanic for items.

Upon reaching a certain durability threshold items would just break apart and get destroyed.

Last edited by Monkeyface on Nov 18, 2019, 4:45:28 PM
"
Monkeyface wrote:
i personally like the death penalty. for any semi-decent build its very hard to die past lvl 90 anyway during normal mapping. Died only 2 times on my way to 100 this league.

Another option instead of death penalty would be a chance for gear pieces to lose durability. For this GGG has to introduce a durability mechanic for items.

Upon reaching a certain durability threshold items would just break apart and get destroyed.

The only way this would really replace the current death penalty is if GGG did NOT add a currency/system to restore an item's durability. AKA if you die 3 times in a row and it hits your HH with 3 durability left 3 times that HH is evaporated.
"
garrison1 wrote:
It should be reduced to 5% from level 90 on. You lose too much fucking experience from 95 and up. 10% takes far too long to get back because mobs are no longer giving you good experience any more.

Well, if you can't get past 95, maybe it's time to stop. Consider that final point for that character, and start new one. Or just take a break from PoE.

Don't treat lvl-100 as an ultimate goal.
I never did...
"
Redwyrm wrote:

Don't treat lvl-100 as an ultimate goal.
I never did...

In every other arpg the ultimate goal is to reach the max level and I don't see why it shouldn't be the ultimate goal in poe? It's a design flaw that the game does not get harder after some point and that all you need to do after that point is to play safe aka play the same boring map for a few 100 times to finally hit lvl 100.
German saying: Schönheit und Funktionalität in Sekundenschnelle zu ruinieren, ist dem wahren Dilettanten keine Herausforderung!
torturo: "Though, I'm really concerned, knowing by practice the capabilities of the balance team."
top2000: "let me bend your rear for a moment exile"

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info