[3.21] ShakCentral's Cold DoT Elementalist For Everyone

Hey,
Ive been using the guide for the past days and i have to say it was pretty good. I just feel like i hit some obstacle now and dont know where to go next with this. Just got a shavs for an ok price and switched to LL. Sitting at around 8k ES. it goes pretty well most of the time. Just big bosses and DOT give me a bit of an headache.

I hoped the switch to LL might help with the damage but its not super noticable. I also realised i need to get my blood magic to lvl 20 to use malevolence with it and now the reservation is a bit wonky.

Also on the survivabilty side: as soon as i get to enemies with bleed/ignite/poison it gets really rough. i can live with the occasional one shot from the conquereres becaus i facetanked the fist guys slam but DOT really messes me up. especially since immunity flasks only last so long and the fights last for even longer. Posion can be fixed with pantheon but the others not.

How do you deal with that? (currently farming syndicate for trigger craft)

Where can i go with my gear next? (besides 6l shavs)

Am i missing something super obvious?

(I dont know how to link my gear in forum posts)

cheers

I dropped this wand since you said not to use "Add # to # cold damage"

However PoB is saying that my DoT DPS is lower. I'm assuming this is because it doesn't account for EE? Is there a way to calculate that? Not sure if this wand is the better choice.

Lastly, what is the priority in stats?
Spell Damage > Cold Damage Multiplier?
Great build! I'm enjoying it a l lot. I'm currently running vortex on a 4 link. But planning to upgrade to a 5 link. I noticed that you use Elemental Focus as 5th link. Wouldn't that prevent mobs being chilled and freezed and therefore make hypothermia useless?
This build is amazing!
One of the best league starters I've played.
I've got lucky with currency and got this annoitment that gives huuuuge damage boost

https://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Tranquility

Still having problem with dex but I'll change some gear soon. Everything dies in seconds, bosses too. I don't even remember when I've died last time after transition to CI.

My gear here:
Spoiler
Hey Shak, if I got a wand with +lightning damage to spells will that trigger EE?
Great build (cost me ~20cc and additional 40cc for wand) but only after changing wand with this trigger skill mod. Before - mob packs were ofc dying like flies but bosses which were easy nonetheless took way too long time. Now it feels like a breeze. I am still early in atlas but I have high hopes.
thegreekgod,

Spoiler
Thank you for the feedback! I overlooked Rumi's and will add the item. When you're discussing gems, do you mean in the leveling guide? That's due for an update.

Phasing on a jewel is great, as is Onslaught, and the more I test them out the more I think I'm going to recommend them much higher in the guide.

For gearing, it depends on how long you plan to play the character and how your currency is looking. I was able to pick up a 5L Shav's last night for a pretty good deal, so I jumped on it. I'd highly recommend trying to work on an end-game weapon. That's my next step, as doing more damage is also a good defense if things are dead. You helmet, gloves, and boots are in an interesting spot, as they have great mods but low ES. You'll lose some ES when you switch to Shav's, so get more on these slots if you want to feel more comfortable after the switch.

DamagePlanX,

Spoiler
I legitimately have no idea what you mean by lvl 55 and switch. Could you explain?

Th35tr1k3r,

Spoiler
First, you can help your damage a lot by grabbing a ring or gear upgrade to fill in your resists and getting a weapon with a very high spell damage roll. They can roll above 100% now, so don't leave all that damage on the table.

As for immunities, I've had to reroll my curse immunity into ignite as well. Bleed can either be on a flask or a corrupted jewel. I haven't had an issue with poison so far, but as you said, you could use a Pantheon for that.

If you think that your defenses are ok, my next steps would be to try and fossil craft a helmet with -9% cold res and/or some boots with more res to allow for other gear mods.

lylkda,

Spoiler
Thankfully, this is an easy fix. PoB is saying your DoT dps is lower because you dropped a wand with over 100% spell damage for a wand with 9%.

diablomig,

Spoiler
E.Focus prevents the initial hit from Vortex/Cold Snap from freezing or chilling, but not the DoT on the ground.

wojnar90,

Spoiler
Tranquility is ridiculous, and I plan to add it to the amulet section as a super high-roll upgrade. Nice job picking it up!

Like you, I've reached the super tanky point. I've died 5x total since hitting maps; 1 was to Ele reflect when I ran a friend's map and he didn't tell me, and 4 were last night to a Metamorph in the same friend's map. He likes to try and kill me.

HeManNZ,

Spoiler
Not quite in the way that you want, but it's not the end of the world as long as you have the Trigger Socketed Spell mod, as the procs of your other skills will correctly override this. Check out the second line in the mechanics section here for more details on hitting with multiple elements: https://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Elemental_Equilibrium

Avelanh,

Spoiler
Glad to hear it!
Cold DoT For Everyone: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2661120
So reworked most of my tree. Still have a total of like 10-15C in gear most self made. Still have 6 nodes to shift. ES at 5700 now and damage up. Things are starting to die faster. This feel better.

Also I just loaded my build into Pob. EE with pretty much Any crappy inc. spell damage and triggered socketed spells blows away a high end wand. Amazing.
Last edited by ElectroHarmonix on Dec 17, 2019, 11:28:16 AM
I've been following the Vortex for Dummies as I level toward the
Ziz/Steelmage build to help me as I go. In some ways I think this has been helpful. In others I think it may have confused me. I know nothing about Vortex or playing it. I'm wondering if someone can help me figure out how I'm supposed to play this build. I have a bunch of questions.
Skill sets and gear I reference are in the PoB of the Ziz video.

LVL55? - I just hit lvl55 and this seems to be the critical mass for switching as mentioned in the video and in the Vortex for dummies. What makes 55 so critical? Or there other indicators that tell me when switching is viable? If I don't switch, what do I used with OoS?

Aura? - I see in the POB and for skills that at 55+ the heralds aren't mentioned. Are the dropped entirely? Do we just run Blasphemy setups and skitterbots?

Skitterbots - Do they do more than trigger traps/mines? Do they trigger EE?

Rotation - So while trash clearing I'm guessing we drop Vortex and run. For bosses etc, is it OoS, followed by Vortex? What's Cold Snap for and how is it used in the rotation? What about Storm Brand and the other stuff on the triggered gear in the POB?

"
DamagePlanX wrote:
I've been following the Vortex for Dummies as I level toward the
Ziz/Steelmage build to help me as I go. In some ways I think this has been helpful. In others I think it may have confused me. I know nothing about Vortex or playing it. I'm wondering if someone can help me figure out how I'm supposed to play this build. I have a bunch of questions.
Skill sets and gear I reference are in the PoB of the Ziz video.

LVL55? - I just hit lvl55 and this seems to be the critical mass for switching as mentioned in the video and in the Vortex for dummies. What makes 55 so critical? Or there other indicators that tell me when switching is viable? If I don't switch, what do I used with OoS?

Aura? - I see in the POB and for skills that at 55+ the heralds aren't mentioned. Are the dropped entirely? Do we just run Blasphemy setups and skitterbots?

Skitterbots - Do they do more than trigger traps/mines? Do they trigger EE?

Rotation - So while trash clearing I'm guessing we drop Vortex and run. For bosses etc, is it OoS, followed by Vortex? What's Cold Snap for and how is it used in the rotation? What about Storm Brand and the other stuff on the triggered gear in the POB?

Different people switch at different times, depending on their goals, gear, and whether they're playing a League Starter or beginning with money. I've never ever switched at lvl 55. OOS is just better for leveling. I've always switched at minimum in Blood Aqueducts. If you don't switch, stay with the setup outlines in the guide. It'll clear right up to maps with no problems.

Heralds don't really help much with Vortex once you're switched. Their added damage to spells only applies to the Vortex/CS hit and not the DoT on the ground.

Skitterbots are something I'm messing with now and may be worked into the main build. Their shock and chill effect is phenomenal.

For the end-game rotation, it's pretty much Vortex and CS on cooldown. If Vaal CS is up, use it, especially on bosses. The triggered spells are explains in the guide.
Cold DoT For Everyone: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2661120

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info