15 mb patch 1:30 hours

Img speaks for itself.. WTF?

is the patch super compressed? I think I'd preffer download it uncompressed...
Last bumped on Nov 13, 2019, 10:34:37 PM
Let my quote myself:
"
Judaspriester wrote:
I found a good explanation on the steam problem in the topic about the recent patch:
"
vio wrote:

ggg runs a zipped resource file (content.ggpk) which has a fast indexing file system to allow faster finding and loading of ingame resources.

it's all game resources in one file and steam demands the file to be exactly the same as ggg released it, so the steam patcher can't just add individual files like the standalone patcher can.

it's steams "same file" policy that prevents fast patching.

i don't think that ggg could improve much if they separated ressources on multiple files, they would still be huge and steam would also backup them all in the patching process.

Source: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2650679/page/2

maybe interesting for others here.

/edit:
TL;DR: GGG uses a very efficent file system with one big zip file. Steam demands that the whole file is checked with every patch, even if the patch only alters 1 byte.

If you want to avoid this problem, write the support, so that they add your mail adress to you account and use the GGG client in stead of steam.
You say Prison Cell, I hear 'Holiday'.
Last edited by Judaspriester on Sep 26, 2019, 7:22:47 AM
Hope you didn't also complain about the problems that it fixed... that would be hypocritical. You wouldn't want to be that.
"
Judaspriester wrote:
Let my quote myself:
"
Judaspriester wrote:
I found a good explanation on the steam problem in the topic about the recent patch:
"
vio wrote:

ggg runs a zipped resource file (content.ggpk) which has a fast indexing file system to allow faster finding and loading of ingame resources.

it's all game resources in one file and steam demands the file to be exactly the same as ggg released it, so the steam patcher can't just add individual files like the standalone patcher can.

it's steams "same file" policy that prevents fast patching.

i don't think that ggg could improve much if they separated ressources on multiple files, they would still be huge and steam would also backup them all in the patching process.

Source: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2650679/page/2

maybe interesting for others here.

/edit:
TL;DR: GGG uses a very efficent file system with one big zip file. Steam demands that the whole file is checked with every patch, even if the patch only alters 1 byte.

If you want to avoid this problem, write the support, so that they add your mail adress to you account and use the GGG client in stead of steam.

Thanks!
Your HDD is way to slow for the steam patch method. Processing 25gb with 5mb/s takes some time.

If you want to stick to steam client shove it onto an SSD if you got one.

Patches take about 45 seconds on my SSD.

Otherwise just use the standalone client like mentioned.
"
Shimazusan86 wrote:
Your HDD is way to slow for the steam patch method. Processing 25gb with 5mb/s takes some time.

If you want to stick to steam client shove it onto an SSD if you got one.

Patches take about 45 seconds on my SSD.

Otherwise just use the standalone client like mentioned.

I can also reccomend running PoE on a SSD, it also helps alot with the ingame loading times.
Via Steam you can add sereval libraries on your pc. So if you have a SSD, you could add a Steam library there (don't need to be the default) and move PoE then via steam.
You say Prison Cell, I hear 'Holiday'.
Took me 2min on my 4 year old SSD
Na it's steam. It does it to me on good ssd.

I refused to play on steam anymore download the ggg client if u want your account before it was on steam you can sign into both. If not do I ticket and talk to them. I have a 900mb download it take ages for 15mb use ggg client it updates before steam has check see if there's room on ssd test it yesterday.
Plenty of folks have no problem with updates though Steam on a decent SSD with enough space. Mine takes maybe 1-2 minutes for a routine patch - a bit longer for a major one. (True for both slower laptop SSD and faster gaming rig SSD.)

Not saying there aren't folks having issues. Just that it's obviously more complicated than "Steam sucks".

Last edited by GreyLensman on Sep 27, 2019, 1:44:44 PM
Its funny that a game with PS2 quality graphics needs an SSD just to run at a half decent rate.
Last edited by Biovital on Sep 27, 2019, 1:55:32 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info