[3.10] Memoria's Icicle Mine Saboteur [SSF, League Starter]

im runnign shroud of the lightless what should i run for the 5 link since i get lvl 20 ele pen? i saw a earlier post but guy was asking what to drop for his im currently using hypo,controlled destruc,swiftassymbly,iccicle,trap and mine damage. all 20/20 so far just want to make sure thats optimal thanks
Is it worth multicrafting this mace ?
Is T1 fire vs T3 cold damage on the bench craft
Awesome build!
It struggles until you get Chain, though.
My advice: forget about Pierce support until you face high-level map bosses / Shaper / Elder. Possibly for tough Infestations as well. Chain basically at least doubles your effective radius from mines and boosts your clear speed a lot.

Also I would recommend Minefield over Quick Assembly but that probably depends on your gear. If you are already very well equipped with insane DPS, then Quick Assembly may be better. Minefield just lets you pop those big number of mines SO MUCH FASTER and this build profits from each additional mine planted SO MUCH (in addition to its pure damage).

Oh and use Cold Penetration at least until you get Explosives Expert. Or include Frost Curse in your setup somehow. Cold Pen is the most lacking department, you absolutely need it against any tough guys.

Smooth and fun build, however not everyone will like the 'stop and go' style. True, it takes only a fraction of a fraction of second to lay your mines but it's still wildy different from, say, Cyclone.
thanks for this build - just thought I'd try out mines for first time two weeks ago and I enjoyed it a heck of a lot more than I thought i would. heck took out uber elder wiht 5k ehp and with 0% gems and most of them still 19 or 18 level. (wasn't deathless, but still). I really enjoyed being able to prestack the mines as well as controlling my dps location more finely than say a minion/totem build

general audience - if I enjoyed this build, would it be fair to say I might enjoy other mine builds or is this one build/skill much diff/better than the rest? i.e. would I likely like arc/spear or gc miner based on liking this one?

Edit: really like being able to throw mines into shielded enemies
Last edited by Unshiftables on Nov 17, 2019, 7:57:37 PM
TLDR: High Impact Mines not really viable from what I saw tinkering with PoB. Whispering Ice may be an exception as it's a 7L.
For area cleansing (infested maps in particular), use 'Shadows and Dust' gloves that give permanent rampage and obliterate everything.

I had the exact same idea. There are a myriad options (thanks to High Impact Mines), personally I thought about Arc and Three Dragon Helmet to make lightning damage chill and freeze (for defense).
The chill/freeze is the largest defense layers the build has but I noticed that the fire mine has at least 2-3 times the DPS. Well, I tried it during leveling, no idea if that stays true in the endgame. But it's damage is definitely much higher than Icicle mines. Maybe worth a shot but then I think you'd need MoM at the very least to survive.

High Impact Mines could be combined with any number of cool spells, however I am not sure the 'lost' gem slot is not too much of a DPS decrease. All the support gems are great damage boosts so losing one of them just to turn a spell into a mine... mmmm.

One guy actually took the Whispering Ice staff and turned it into Ice Rain mines... not sure how well that works though :D

I also loved the lightning mine during leveling but its radius might be too small for any meaningful clearing.

edit: Quick check with PoB reveals High Impact is not really viable. With same gem setup Icicle mine deals like 3 times more DPS than Glacial Cascade.

Question: how do you deal with big infestations or infested maps? I struggle a lot, I tried both Chain and Pierce support but at some point I am simply overrun by the mobs. Recommendations for the towers? I usually go for Chill Towers(unless resitant) first, then back them up with shock, stun or minion. Level 4 support tower unfortunately does not really boost the DPS of this build so my only chance is highly offensive towers? Fire, maybe?

EDIT2: Answer for me: 'Shadows and Dust' gloves. The rampage bonus is incredible, not only because you get like 200% increase damage but also the manyfold area damage effects help with clearing infestations. A lot. Plus you rack it up incredibly fast on any infestation, or, for that matter, map. On infested maps you quickly reach the stage of constantly triggering almighty corpse detonations around you, these alone can clear waves on themselves. That plus the swirling blades and your mines will literally obliterate anyone and anything but the very toughest infestation bosses. For these I have no recipe yet, I guess the best plan is to reserve some points and build a freeze-circle (trapping) tower in their way.
Last edited by Jasmira on Nov 19, 2019, 4:42:34 AM
I just crafted 'Triggers socketed gems when you use a skill' on one of my daggers and BOY does that make a difference. There's a nasty internal cooldown, true. (something like 4-5 seconds it seems)
But I have both Frost Bomb and Projectile Weakness (Curse) linked with increased area of effect in this weapon and it helps a LOT. No manual casting, just laying mines and detonating will proc BOTH skill gems in the dagger in short succession. (the internal cooldown is separate per skill)
A nightmare for any tough enemy.

I have also switched from Chain to Pierce for all purposes (not only clearing). The reason is I overlooked the cool talent node that gives you +2 pierced targets. With that learned you have a MUCH higher reach on your projectiles and the DPS increase compared to Chain is almost 40%. Very noticeable.

The Rampage gloves (get them for as low as 5c!) are insane.

Only thing eluding me right now are decent weapons. Something with elemental added damage to spells, spell crit and conversion to chaos is already pretty expensive, anything more (like crit multi or mine damage) and it becomes obscene. On the other hand, I have reached T14 maps without noticing any decline in killspeed so the DPS are still over the top apparently.

Great build.

Problem: bosses with limited area of combat and lots of AE damage. I wiped 3 times against Kitava map boss because of that sh*t. As long as you can freeze everything or run around - no problem. But some area damage you cannot avoid makes quick work of this build.
No leech maps are really annoying because you need to switch flasks for charge-on-crit mana/life. All other mods are easy-peasy, Temporal Chains is annoying but no problem.
I am thinking what uniques could be great additions. Maybe Hatred into no-reservation ring? That'd be 19-20% more cold damage.

Also still not able to reliably clear rare/corrupted Blight maps. I tried T12 and failed, the clearspeed is not enough and the bosses are too sturdy. Anyone got a solution? I use Rampage Gloves and Frost Bomb+Projectile Weakness but still...
Last edited by Jasmira on Nov 21, 2019, 4:35:07 AM
@Jasmira u dont need to have a pierce gem in ur links if u took it on the tree.

U can take a look at my character for gear and links (name: SSFCarry), apparently its a top2 SSFBlight dps
I have spell totem with faster casting and detonate mine but the mine dosen't explode automatly,same help me? Thanks
"
Kessidy wrote:
I have spell totem with faster casting and detonate mine but the mine dosen't explode automatly,same help me? Thanks
"
Kessidy wrote:

Totem-Detonate mine only explodes the mine when there is a valid enemy nearby to be hit with it. So if you're testing it out in your hideout, that may be why it's not working.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info