[3.10] Gryph's Volatile Dead Necromancer || Fun, Medium Budget, Tanky, Millions of DPS

Great guide. But i have some question:

Does this build can be tanky enough to beat uber elder with average evading level? ( like u can survive at least 2-3 balls)
And whats the stat priority if you want to upgrade your gear?

Thanks again for the build
A casual PoE guy with some virtual achievement:
- Have a character LEVEL 1 0 0 in: Ranger, Marauder, Shadow, Witch, Templar, Scion and Duelist.
- Rank 1 Juggernault in Atlas Invasion Event
- Rank 5 Juggernault in Delirium Every Where Event
- Rank 4 Chieftain in Endless Heist SSF
"
Ranchhods wrote:
Finding the proper gear is annoying but I miss playing VD so trying this out. Crafted this thing
. What are your thoughts on a multi modded staff like this since we can get arcane surge from other areas?
Relaxing build for a chill league is great.

Usually getting arcane surge from other sources it's a low level. getting level 20 in the is a baseline 20% More Spell Damage from the buff.

we get 70% increased effect on top of that, which translates to 14% more damage. Also Arcane Surge itself gives more spell damage to supported skills.

it's very good. Buuut the most important factor for me is the 7L which brings our mana cost up over he threshold to trigger CWDT every cast without needing Fevered mind. I would go from 222 mana--current setup on a 6L with Fevered mind--to 144 mana dropping fevered mind. That's 888 damage to self down to 576 damage to self. That's an extra 300es recovered per cast, or roughly 1.5k ES per second while sustain-casting...

That's a lot.

All that said, something like that is still perfectly fine to use, but I think if you're investing multiple exalts in multimodding and the like you will want to have the 7L for your mana cost.

With that staff specifically, and regarding +3 global fire gems in general, you can get level 1 arcane surge support on a chest for the 7L effect, and that would also be really strong.

TL:DR: The staff is fine, Having Arcane surge as a link is still stronger.

"
Great guide. But i have some question:

Does this build can be tanky enough to beat uber elder with average evading level? ( like u can survive at least 2-3 balls)
And whats the stat priority if you want to upgrade your gear?

Thanks again for the build

I'm sitting at 5,746 Life and 2.7k ES right now at level 90, with 90k damage per ball, 40-ish per second. This build *theoretically* should vaporize Uber Elder. But yes tanking a ball or two should be fine. your CWDT will heal you upwards of 1.3k ES when you're hit so....yes is the answer to your question.

Once I've crawled my way to endgame (sorry I'm kinda slow progressing) I'll make videos for Shaper+Uber Elder.

Side note: Intensify Support is really strong for VD. AOE loss is not even noticeable and the damage boost is enormous.
Last edited by Gryphenprey on Sep 11, 2019, 3:33:27 AM
"
Gryphenprey wrote:
"
Me again,

Got to level 65 and started using the setup, tried to copy your level 67 as close as possible but something is wrong as im chunking health every cast of VD?

Heading to bed now and cant wait for your reply so I can stop going out of my mind xD

From what I can see in your character profile:

You don't have high enough mana cost to proc Spirit Offering with every cast to mitigate the damage. Most likely because you do not have a source of Increased mana cost. (IE:Fevered Mind Cobalt Jewel)

What happens is then you are taking 2 hits per proc instead of one and taking a ton of damage as a result.

It's like a 1c jewel. Go get it, slot it, and enjoy. You should at least come very close to breaking even on the damage this way.

Morning mate,

I have the fevered mind you must of missed it, its over the far left. I took my praxis off aswell incase that was causing it and still same issue. Can't quite put my finger on it and will try double fevered mind when I get home.
"
"
Gryphenprey wrote:
"
Me again,

Got to level 65 and started using the setup, tried to copy your level 67 as close as possible but something is wrong as im chunking health every cast of VD?

Heading to bed now and cant wait for your reply so I can stop going out of my mind xD

From what I can see in your character profile:

You don't have high enough mana cost to proc Spirit Offering with every cast to mitigate the damage. Most likely because you do not have a source of Increased mana cost. (IE:Fevered Mind Cobalt Jewel)

What happens is then you are taking 2 hits per proc instead of one and taking a ton of damage as a result.

It's like a 1c jewel. Go get it, slot it, and enjoy. You should at least come very close to breaking even on the damage this way.

Morning mate,

I have the fevered mind you must of missed it, its over the far left. I took my praxis off aswell incase that was causing it and still same issue. Can't quite put my finger on it and will try double fevered mind when I get home.

Ah so you do. In that case, that's probably why you are chunking. More levels+More life will balance out eventually. I think I had to chug pots sometimes too and in fact, I ran a lot of the reduced mana + mana nodes to balance it a bit. Maybe get another praxis or other -mana cost of skills ring for cheap. And get that last Life/ES Cluster for now.

Arctic armour can help mitigate the damage a bit too, while also being nice for defenses in general.
Hi!
I am inspired with this build and will follow it, but i have 1 question:
Why are you using Inreased Cooldown Recovery Speed in boots and belt? For CWDT? With 33% inreased cooldown you have 5 casts per second? How fast is your VD casting? Is it necessary?
Last edited by katrup on Sep 11, 2019, 7:01:59 AM
What do u think this build using poet pen instead of the helm?

Since poetpen got buffed with cd is now 0.15.
A casual PoE guy with some virtual achievement:
- Have a character LEVEL 1 0 0 in: Ranger, Marauder, Shadow, Witch, Templar, Scion and Duelist.
- Rank 1 Juggernault in Atlas Invasion Event
- Rank 5 Juggernault in Delirium Every Where Event
- Rank 4 Chieftain in Endless Heist SSF
Sooo, I tried your build, because I thought it's nice for blight maps. But I have the problem that I spawn sooo many balls, that the server starts lagging and 5 seconds like happen in 1 seconds and sometimes I even kill myself with it, because the Spirit Offering procc doesn't occur fast enough with this lag.

Do you have the same problem/a Solution for this?
"
Laeuft wrote:
Sooo, I tried your build, because I thought it's nice for blight maps. But I have the problem that I spawn sooo many balls, that the server starts lagging and 5 seconds like happen in 1 seconds and sometimes I even kill myself with it, because the Spirit Offering procc doesn't occur fast enough with this lag.

A few things to note:

Try reserving more mana. If you're mana sustain is good enough to oversustain you, reserve enough mana so that you can only cast VD once. This should help with the "stuttering." Also, if you don't have it, get 30% cooldown recovery speed. Very important.

When I start lagging in a blighted map I flamedash to a new location and that's *usually* good enough. Admittedly this build can be very hard on your PC. Lowering graphics setting can help a bit too.

"
What do u think this build using poet pen instead of the helm?

Since poetpen got buffed with cd is now 0.15.

I think Poet's Pen is very viable and I'll probably try it eventually. I would use a very similar tree if not almost identical, so it would just be a matter of swapping gear out. When I thought up this build it was with league start viability in mind. Scold's is usually pretty cheap and the build works "fine" as self cast without it.

That said, PP will be less damage overall I believe. 3L vs 7L and 3 balls (4 with enchant) per cast vs 6-9.

But poet's pen is like my favorite item of all time so *shrug* I'll prob try it anyways.

"
katrup wrote:
Hi!
I am inspired with this build and will follow it, but i have 1 question:
Why are you using Inreased Cooldown Recovery Speed in boots and belt? For CWDT? With 33% inreased cooldown you have 5 casts per second? How fast is your VD casting? Is it necessary?

30% is enough to get .19s cooldown (basically 5)

My VD casting gets higher than 5/second, which actually makes me take the occasional unmitigated hit from scold's.

If your mana sustain is *too* good, you will find that you are hitting yourself a lot once you get past 5 casts per second.

So yes, CDR is definitely very important.

TLDR for everyone: There are a lot of pieces to make this puzzle work smoothly.

1. Try limiting your mana pool if oversustaining because of say, Clarity Watcher's Eye. Anger+Flesh and Stone+Clarity 1+Herald of Ash should leave you just enough mana to cast VD. It's slower to get it ramped up to speed, but it works.

2. Move more often to help alleviate lag.

3. CDR is a must. Get 30%+ 4 Spirit Offering procs per second will not seem like enough. Flow untethered is cheap and nice for clearing/mobility.

4. Hard on potato PCs, lower graphics to make VDs slightly less pretty (They don't need no makeup!) :)

Hope this helps!

Edit: if your mana cost is higher than 132...and it most likely is close to, or over, 200 if you are on a 6L using Fevered mind...you can use physical mitigation methods such as Arctic Armour, Soul of Tukohama/Gruthkul or other means to reduce the damage you take per cast. %Mana reduction on jewels/nodes in tree will also help a little, though I would try to limit tree investment.

Edit #2: Drop LMP from Unearth CWDT setup. You still have enough to consume for both skills per cast and it frees up a gem slot. Ignore this if you are a god and have +1 VD enchant on Scold's

Edit #3: Added my Path of building for character present to POB section.
https://pastebin.com/vnFAY0LZ

Last edited by Gryphenprey on Sep 11, 2019, 11:31:05 AM
"
Gryphenprey wrote:
"
Laeuft wrote:

A few things to note:

Try reserving more mana. If you're mana sustain is good enough to oversustain you, reserve enough mana so that you can only cast VD once. This should help with the "stuttering." Also, if you don't have it, get 30% cooldown recovery speed. Very important.

When I start lagging in a blighted map I flamedash to a new location and that's *usually* good enough. Admittedly this build can be very hard on your PC. Lowering graphics setting can help a bit too.

Graphic Lagg is not a problem. It's def. the server. I will try it with the more mana reserve, gonna get the Clarity Watcher's eye anyway :) Thanks for the Tipp.
I do have 30% CD recovery :)
Disable lockstep. The extra communication overhead is what's causing the server lag issues.

back to the days of the /oos macro on a timer :D

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info