News of the horrific shooting is making its way to the US.

"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
So just a gentle reminder that if you use this tragedy to push gun control, you're doing what the shooter wants.

Gun control is not the same as abolishing the second amendment...
"
kolyaboo wrote:

Edited again to add: just caught the full statement from this lowlife Anning (apparently a popular Queensland politico). That is a real winner there! Has he always been mentally unstable?

He wasn't mentally unstable and you do nobody any favors by portraying him as such.

I read a part of his manifesto and there was a logic and rational behind it.

I don't agree with it and most people will not(thankfully), but it was not the work of a "mentally unstable" person.

Putting him in that box doesn't do society any good.

Peace,

-Boem-

Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes
On no he was sane. A "Cluster B" clusterfuck, yes. But sane, oh yes.

The sooner agencies get people au fait with internet culture and able to participate in sites (with a view to flagging the troubling troubled souls) like where this one brewed for weeks, layers of memes and shitposting, the better. I would think true internet warriors would welcome some moles amongst them.

The straight media reports about the manifesto are woefully out of touch. I am too, or am glad to have formed my compass in a different world. Someone said "I feel old", yes. Gladly spent the later part of the evening listening to old fashioned tunes.

It's mind boggling that people like this are not known, by someone. That people sit in rooms and do this stuff online steeped in it brewing plans and so hateful and no-one notices. How alienated are so many of us, how invisible?

"
Charan wrote:
Letting this become "about" anything but the slaughter of dozens of innocent people in what should be a very safe place is how we start to lose our humanity.

I'd say the ideal of humanity, but the reality is that humanity in all its spectrum is on display.

"
Charan wrote:
This is still new territory and hopefully the reactions that matter will be appropriate and respectful. I am already sickened by some of the things Australian politicians have said...

Mourn today, preach...later. Maybe.

That's a genuinely compassionate thing to say. As was Dalai Lama's post, and a few others and safe to think that many people are glad to read such sentiments.

I still don't have words adequate for what happened to the people directly involved. The magnitiude and horror of that is immense. The NZ prime Minister was so powerful. They are us.

I wanted to just post a candle gif yesterday but that felt lame. Plus, I had spent the walk home texting with my eldest son who watched the video. I thought he'd seen a small bit, but no later last night we had a long talk and he saw the whole thing while at Uni. His face... jesus. He said he was coming home and people looked happy, and realised they didn't know what was going on (I shared the work anecdote). He's ok today, thank goodness.

This thread isn't "for" anything but people's responses, in all our humanity, surely.

Haven't looked at any news, can imagine how some Australians are being shameful about it. That's enough of it for me today, too.

Self-care is so important. I see you watched the clips, Robin99 and had a strong reaction. Have a debrief with someone who is a good listener if you haven't already. Look after yourself, with things that recharge your spirit. If you do feel you're badly affected, tell someone who is in a position to support you. What we know about trauma is that it's not simple just who it affects - due to identical twin studies where one has PTSD and the other doesn't - and it's to do with parts of the brain we cannot control at all. Also, that we don't need to be there to be affected with elements of stress without having a full blown PTSD going on, just watching it can do it, as can working with people with trauma who tell their stories.

There's this "oh I'm desensitised" bs people adopt, which might be true, MOST of us will be fine if a bit shook up. Basically, your reactions are valid, eh?

You'll probably be ok, really. Look after yourself and stay away from poking at it more, as we are inclined to do.

Last edited by erdelyii on Mar 15, 2019, 8:12:36 PM
Sane people don't do things against their own self interest. This person is a global laughing stock now. Keeping a shut mouth would have been in his better interests.

Trying to say that is how you get votes? Umm, OK.
Censored.
Oh sure, he's a nutbag BUT clinically? Look, the manual is massive so no doubt he'll class as having some mental illness or another, a warped personality lens of the world, but one of the ones we mean by crazy where you lose touch with reality completely and can't be held accountable for what you do? Nope.

Just a hunch, mind you. The experts will assess him of course.

Last edited by erdelyii on Mar 15, 2019, 7:43:27 PM
sickos!! :( so sorry about this & hope they get hung by trees asap :(
www.lunaz.com/poe-fashion
www.lunaz.com/poe-filter
www.lunaz.com/poe-hidouts
Work In Progress
"
"
pneuma wrote:
"
鬼殺し wrote:
I am already sickened by some of the things Australian politicians have said...

Yeah... what the fuck is up with Fraser Anning?
Blaming muslim immigration for causing the violence?
Absolutely mental.

Man, wherever you live must be nice. Sometimes ignorance really is a bliss. Over here in EU, muslim immigration causing violence is a borderline accepted fact, and 'muricans are using our situation as an example for why 'the wall' is necessary.

What you say is true and it still isn't a justification for killing 49 innocent people while at their place of worship. Taking even one ounce of blame off the shooter is utterly immoral.

If you're at the point where violence against innocents is accepted, then you're already inside the race war that this sick fuck wants so desperately to start. "Fighting terrorism with terrorism" is a blood feud.

No matter how much you disagree with Islam, violence against the innocent is not the answer. Openly and loudly criticizing the tenets of Islam, pushing for reformation within the church, and sheltering apostates is acceptable. Enacting immigration policy is acceptable.

This brand of accelerationist nihilism, wanting escalation until one side or the other ceases to exist, is not only counterproductive, it actively prevents real change. Even if every last "ethnostatist" were killed, their ideas will remain and can be revived 100 years later from a whisper and the same is true of Islam and every other idea.
My thoughts and prayers out to the people affected by this tragedy.
My hearts goes out for you guys in NZ. Stay strong !
"
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
"
Islam is a religion of hate
Every historically successful religion allows hate, even murderous hate, in the case of groups that at some point or another roughly lined up with enemy combatants. From an natural selection perspective, religions had to adapt to be suitable for war propaganda. From certain fundamentalist perspectives, Christianity and Judaism are religions of hate, too.

But just as the vast majority of Christians and practicing Jews are not particularly hateful, it's highly misleading at best to say Islam is a religion of hate. Most Islamic thought is centered around family and community, not around hatred and war.

That said, Islam is a bit more warlike than its counterparts. Not fundamentally different from, but the most troublesome of the three, I'd reckon.

Christianity is a peaceful religion. Pretty much all of its 'hateful' or 'murderous' parts are aimed at those within the religion. Towards those who are not part of it, Christianity is very peaceful, albeit rather condescending. Of course this is the point where people bring up the crusades, but apparently that point is moot and easy to disassemble if you know your history well.

Islam on the other hand awaits for a world where everyone will be a part of their doctrine, and when that world comes everyone will either bow their heads before the Islamistic empire (pretty sure it had an actual term, but it's been a decade since I last researched the matter properly) or die. Where Christianity spreads the word peacefully through missionaries and what not, Qur'an prefers military action to defeat the "heathens".

As for Islam being centered around family and community... I guess that's true. There are plenty of rules that, if broken, demand the "honor killing" of family members. After enough pushing, a muslim I debated with said that premarital sex would most likely lead into his family disowning him, and that if his brother turned out to be gay it would be his RESPONSIBILITY to kill his brother. Good stuff.

Nope, surely you don't know the history of European colonialism, it was under "God, Gold and Glory" banner. Christianity didn't spread around the world peacefully and it is HISTORICAL FACT that Christianity come into my country trough guns and cannons. The first church in my country was built on top of the ashes of the king's palace, and my people who refused to convert are crucified along the beach of Melaka in 1511 AD

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info