Which ports need to be open

Bump for updates
"
Chrom wrote:
Bump for updates

Bump for what updates?
an update port list and a narrower range that the last one that spans 30k.
"
Chrom wrote:

That is the official response on it. You can also reference this thread if it makes you feel better. You're not going to get a different reply than that most likely. Sorry it's not the answer you want to hear. Bumping the thread won't change the answer.
"
Drakier wrote:
"
Chrom wrote:

That is the official response on it. You can also reference this thread if it makes you feel better. You're not going to get a different reply than that most likely. Sorry it's not the answer you want to hear. Bumping the thread won't change the answer.

i know this thread is super old...but its really helpful to know which ports to open. its strange there is no official ports post with explanations about the ports in the "Consolidated Technical Issues.." sticky.

anyway i thought i might actually read through the comments for once instead of stopping at the official post i normally just copy and paste to people with network issues.

the 30k ports open? ya i agree. whats up with that? any time i have checked my local ports it has always been above 50K on the local side and then it uses 6112 (foreign address) for the game itself after you login. why do we need to open all the way down to so far?

i mean this post is actually like 4 years old so AND there is no sticky to help anyone. so it would be nice if they did something like that.
"
M0rO wrote:
"
Drakier wrote:
"
Chrom wrote:

i know this thread is super old...but its really helpful to know which ports to open. its strange there is no official ports post with explanations about the ports in the "Consolidated Technical Issues.." sticky.

anyway i thought i might actually read through the comments for once instead of stopping at the official post i normally just copy and paste to people with network issues.

the 30k ports open? ya i agree. whats up with that? any time i have checked my local ports it has always been above 50K on the local side and then it uses 6112 (foreign address) for the game itself after you login. why do we need to open all the way down to so far?

i mean this post is actually like 4 years old so AND there is no sticky to help anyone. so it would be nice if they did something like that.

Unfortunately, there's a number of posts, from GGG staff, scattered throughout the Help and Tech support forums. There's also many posts asking for a confirmed list of ports.

From what I can see, the port requirements haven't changed in sometime. For outbound, which should be all one needs assuming NAT/Stateful filtering:

TCP - 80
TCP - 6112
TCP - 12995
TCP - 20481

Connections to port 80 are for http://webcdn.pathofexile.com/public/news this is basically the motd.
Connections to 6112 instances.
Connections to 12995 are encrypted.
Connections to 20481 are encrypted.

As far as dynamic ports are concerned, Microsoft changed their TCP/IP stack to conform with IANA recommendations a while ago. By default, applications should now use ports in the range:

49152-65535.

Re-necro'ing this thread to clarify the idea of "open ports" and ppl freaking out about security issues involving "30k open ports." Those are *outbound* ports, IP protocol specifies a port on both outbound and inbound ports, and it's common for the outbound request to take a random port >48000 as Kellog noted. Firewalls and QoS rules rarely pay attention to these (outbound) ports; they are transitory and random.

For QoS rules, I'm going to try adding a rule to prioritize traffic to port 6112, and we'll see if that stops some of the lag spikes, or if it's just an artifact of being on a cable connection with no other competition in my neighborhood.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info