Which ports need to be open

"
Clark wrote:
May I ask If i do "port forward" on my modem with these port, will it improve my latency?

No. What port forwarding does is it tells your router who to send packets to when they arrive. Because routers (potentially) serve multiple computers, it needs to know who to send the packets to.

If you needed to port forward and it was not setup correctly, then nothing would work. However you do not need to port forward to play Path of Exile, so nothing will change.
"
raylu wrote:
"
Thomas wrote:
The (currently) full list of outgoing ports is:

and the range 32768 - 61000

The client doesn't require any incoming ports.

First of all, sorry for the necro.

Any chance this will be... fixed? That's too many ports to reasonably do QoS on.

I'll second this, A range of like 10 ports would be so much easier to manage.
"
Caspa wrote:
"
raylu wrote:
"
Thomas wrote:

Any chance this will be... fixed? That's too many ports to reasonably do QoS on.

bump + reference for myself when at home. TY
"
Janimarkus wrote:
"
Caspa wrote:
"
raylu wrote:

bump + reference for myself when at home. TY

same + ~30,000 ports is a bit insane. Why would the game need so many? It's not really safe to have so many ports open all at once.
Never wrestle with a pig. You'll only get muddy, and the pig likes it!

Never argue with an idiot. They'll bring you down to their level, and beat you with experience!

"De plumber fixes de sync with de wrench." - Robert_Paulson
still the same range, or did ggg somthing change?
Ign: RiperinoBaby
This game only uses 10-20kbs of bandwidth tops while in game according to netlimiter. But for some reason I'm getting spikes in my ping anyway, and I can't figure out why. I got 5mb cable, and there is no excuse why I should be lagging in a game that uses 10-20kbs of bandwidth tops.

I can be running a torrent in the background and cap it to 250kbs, even though that is only half my bandwidth, yet I'm lagging in a game that only uses 10-20kbs. Its not making any sense to me. Can someone explain why with 5mb cable that I lag in PoE if I'm using the internet for anything else? Even when PoE only uses 10-20kbs?

When I mean lag, the game normally runs at 40ms ping, but if I do anything else the pings spike up as high as 1500ms and my connection frequently drops out.

Have the ports changed? I'm gonna try to do QoS on my router and see if that helps any. I should be able to download something in the background and play PoE without any lag.
Last edited by MrSmiley21 on Jul 17, 2013, 3:31:08 AM
"
MrSmiley21 wrote:
This game only uses 10-20kbs of bandwidth tops while in game according to netlimiter. But for some reason I'm getting spikes in my ping anyway, and I can't figure out why. I got 5mb cable, and there is no excuse why I should be lagging in a game that uses 10-20kbs of bandwidth tops.

I can be running a torrent in the background and cap it to 250kbs, even though that is only half my bandwidth, yet I'm lagging in a game that only uses 10-20kbs. Its not making any sense to me. Can someone explain why with 5mb cable that I lag in PoE if I'm using the internet for anything else? Even when PoE only uses 10-20kbs?

When I mean lag, the game normally runs at 40ms ping, but if I do anything else the pings spike up as high as 1500ms and my connection frequently drops out.

Have the ports changed? I'm gonna try to do QoS on my router and see if that helps any. I should be able to download something in the background and play PoE without any lag.

I didn't understood it completely: do you only have lag when you are torrenting or also when you are doing nothing else?

Using half of your bandwidth can be enough to completely ruin your ping in games. Especially with torrents because you have a lot of connections up. I used to have internet with similar speed as you and i could only play without lag and watch 720p youtube once i upgraded to 20 Mbps.

Also is 5Mbps your real BW (what you get when you use something like speedtest) or is it what the ISP advertises on his website (you never get the speeds they advertise).
"
Thomas wrote:

bump - I also think it's unreasonable to classify 32768 - 61000 as belonging to poe alone when doing QoS. Can anyone give an explanation of why this is so?
Behind you!
There has to be a way to not leave my entire port range in DMZ to play this game? Anyone?
"

bump - I also think it's unreasonable to classify 32768 - 61000 as belonging to poe alone when doing QoS. Can anyone give an explanation of why this is so?

It's a very bad attempt at describing the range of ports Windows will allocate from for clients. There is no need to consider it under most QoS implementations as you only need to specify the remote port (ie., the other ports that have been listed)

Also, that list must be out of date; the game instance servers use port 6112 which is what you'd be most interested in applying QoS for anyway.

"

There has to be a way to not leave my entire port range in DMZ to play this game? Anyone?

DMZ is only required in some exotic cases for stateless protocols like UDP. PoE does not use UDP.
"The problem is there ARE secure netcodes" -- Pewzor
Last edited by Emjayen on Nov 5, 2013, 5:56:42 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info