2H Strength Tank aka MORDEKAISER

Always live, never die. That's the principle behind this build that focuses primarily on survivability, with 2H maces or staves thrown in for their high base DPS and higher possible +PhysDmg% modifiers than 1H weapons.

2H Strength Tank - Pre Mericless
2H Strength Tank - Pre Mericless (Mace)
2H Strength Tank - End Game

Here are the base figures:
defense
+350 strength
+166% life
+103% armor
+41% all elemental resists
+545.3 total life from passives (205+166%)

offense
+164% 2H melee damage (94%+70% str)
+76% stun duration
+9% attack speed
+66% fire dmg (use Anger)
+30% increase burn duration

Begin heading left out the strength side and make a bee line for Resolute Technique since you won't be grabbing any dex, you should hit it by 18. After resolute technique fill out the passives using your own decisions, taking more offense or defense as needed, making sure to grab at least a few more life nodes before taking Blood Magic.

I suggest checking out the pre merciless build first, all my characters hit 45 before ruthless ends so I allotted for 54 points, its a good starting base. After you reach the final difficulty, fill out the rest of the tree by preference, use the end game build as a generic guide for good choices.

For weapons you want the highest DPS you can grab (+IncPhysDmg%). Armors, rings, and amulets are preferential but I like to take a few +HP pieces if they have the right stats.

When doing the bandits quest you can choose to take the skill points (you'll need them to complete the tree), or sacrifice a few extra offense nodes in the long term and take the +8% ele resists as many times as you need through the difficulties.

Comments, criticisms, suggestions for improvements?
Last edited by rumsey on Mar 26, 2012, 5:35:46 PM
If you wanted to never die, shouldn't you use a 1h + shield build?
I think the aim is for tanky but still capable of big hits?
"
Breemen wrote:
I think the aim is for tanky but still capable of big hits?

Exactly. I do have a 1H cleave Mara for tanking as well, but I find this build can kill things quicker at lower levels (basically difficulties 1-3) with equal survivability.
Nice build.
can someone tell me what merciless is?
Merciless is highest difficulty level.
I've been inspired with your idea of tanky 2h user and made something of my own based on physical dmg click. I'm gonna try it out but some feedback would be nice
"
Aryjna wrote:
can someone tell me what merciless is?

It's the 4th and final difficulty. It's pretty damn hard and usually either makes or breaks your build.
Once you get a general idea of the talent tree, it seems there arent as many choices as there seem to be.
You can choose how many nodes of a specific stat or bonus you want to take, but as for main points, like resolute and blood magic there are not many to chose from, unless you go out of the characters intended main stat/skills.
I just got resolute on my marauder, it makes great difference, it is easy to wipe anyone in range with sweep and kill harder enemies with a few heavy strikes (dont remember the name of the skill exactly). Can someone tell me if infernal blow becomes more powerful for single target with the fire damage talents?
In the lowest difficulty, critical strike seems useless, except perhaps for bosses but even there it doesnt really matter. I suppose in higher difficulty, not taking resolute and focusing on critical chance and multiplier could have significant advantages over resolute though.
I've been using the basic principles of your build Rumsey during the open beta test on the Hardcore League... it freaking rocks dude. It's a hell of a lotta fun and I can't wait to grow more.

Level 38 now, but oh boy was it tedious to get through levels 10-18ish. I'm going 2 hand maces, and I'm still thinking about whether to pick up Blood Magic.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info