Genders

So i've been lurking on the website for quite a while now...And from what i've seen the game is awesome, but i have a little question. While the game is in development i see that every character is bound to a specific gender and you cannot chose it.

My question is, will it be possible in the future to have a caster character that is a male for example? Or a female temperlar?
Would be cool to be able to choose genders, though ill mostly be a male anyway.
"
perilomo wrote:
So i've been lurking on the website for quite a while now...And from what i've seen the game is awesome, but i have a little question. While the game is in development i see that every character is bound to a specific gender and you cannot chose it.

My question is, will it be possible in the future to have a caster character that is a male for example? Or a female temperlar?

Look in the post from Russell: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/20092/page/1#p313339

Gender choose will not be possible if I have read it right, because opposite sex for each class is rather expensive. However, you can change the character skins and the model skins or something else. Perhaps it will be added in the future development of the game.
"I am ready any time. Do not keep me waiting." - John Mason Brown
Last edited by Tipo145 on Mar 25, 2012, 11:38:21 AM
I think I've seen threads where gender was classified as a cosmetic option that would be one of the things you could buy for hard money.
What kind of game would have you march through and whack everything, its a game not equipment testing.
So if i understand it right, it'll be part of the perk system they will implement after game release to earn some cash on it.

Well a shame to be honest, but hey...Cannot complain and besides it's an awesome kick ass game any ways ^.^

So i'll have to play a zombie woman...Who cares =P
"
perilomo wrote:
So if i understand it right, it'll be part of the perk system they will implement after game release to earn some cash on it.

Well a shame to be honest, but hey...Cannot complain and besides it's an awesome kick ass game any ways ^.^

So i'll have to play a zombie woman...Who cares =P

Yes, right. You can't change your gender, but you can change your skin. So if you like another hairstyle there you go! Perhaps in the future development you can change your gender. A zombie woman doesn't seem bad to me *evil laugh*.
"I am ready any time. Do not keep me waiting." - John Mason Brown
I think the zombie women look is funny to be honest.
Julius's path of exile wine bundle for mac here: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/48708/page/1
I had this quibble as well. I dislike having to play as one gender or another to play a class, but it's been that way since D1 (or Gauntlet, if you want). Gender choice still isn't 'officially' a must-have for a Diablo-genre game (Torchlight doesn't have it, nor does Dungeon Siege III and those were the last few Diablo-like games to come out to my knowledge). Titan Quest did, but it also had only two models: male and female. The most likely reason Diablo 3 has it is because between D2 and D3 we had the explosion of MMOs, which really pioneered the division of class into race and gender as well.

Keep in mind, Dungeons & Dragons, to which both the MMO genre and the Diablo genre owe their existences, didn't separate class or race until Advanced: you had Fighter, Thief and Wizard, but you also had Elf and Dwarf as classes. A sidepoint, but not one that is entirely irrelevant.

As regards Path of Exile, I just do what I did in Diablo 2, Guild Wars, and any other game that restricts your model by class: make it work anyway. I liked the Necromancer model in D2 and felt he looked too badass to be hiding behind spells and minions. Thus, Meleemancer. Same with the Necro in GW, although going Necro/Warrior made it a lot easier.

My signature says it all, really. It'd be NICE to have gender choice, but I also enjoy working within the constraints if there is indeed room to stretch. And there is.
Warhammer 40k Inquisitor: where shotgunning is not only not nerfed, it is deeply encouraged.

Dogma > Souls, but they're masterworks all. You can't go wrong.

I was right about PoE2 needing to be a separate, new game. It was really obvious.
"
Titan Quest did, but it also had only two models: male and female.

You said it as if there are more genders then male and female XDD
I would definitely pay for customization, also to support the devs.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info