Incinerate

Make sure you concisely state your character build, level, and other complimenting abilities you have when you talk about a skill - The more we know about your character, the better we can understand your feedback.
Balance & Design
Last edited by Jess_GGG on Jun 7, 2018, 9:27:19 PM
Last bumped on Jun 7, 2018, 9:27:48 PM
Incinerate has only one more damage modifier. The value of that modifier changes each stage. At the first stage it has 0% more damage. At the second stage it has 80% more damage. At the third stage it has 160% more damage, and at the fourth stage it has 240% more damage.
It's not adding another modifier each stage, it's changing the value of the one modifier the skill has.
Last edited by Mark_GGG on Mar 24, 2013, 9:18:56 PM
"
Xapti wrote:
I'm curious about the 80% more damage each phase. Normally "more damage" is multiplicative with other "more damage", but Mark seemed to be implying here that they stack additively (since they seemingly replace each other).
There is no stacking, additively or otherwise. There are not separate "more damage" modifiers each time it levels up, there is one modifier on the skill. It's value is (80% x [current stage - 1]) more damage. A second-stage incinerate has a single 80% more damage modifier, and a third stage one has a single 160% more damage modifier - just like how a level 1 Melee Physical Damage gem has a single 30% more damage modifier and that same gem at level 20 has a single 49% more damage modifier. The gem didn't gain a whole bunch of extra "1% more damage" modifiers, that all stack multiplicatively, each time it levelled up - it has one modifier which increases in value. Incinerate is the same.
Last edited by Mark_GGG on May 26, 2013, 8:06:48 PM
"
btw, just a common misconception. Faster Casting does NOT speed up the time it takes to increase the stage.
Yes it does.
"
The stage mechanic is based on time, not ticks, so it doesn't actually speed it up in that way.
No. You gain a stage for every six consecutive casts of the skill, regardless of cast time. Increasing case speed will mean each cast takes less time, and you'll reach higher stages faster.
"
Sheriff_K wrote:
That makes it really confusing in my opinion... Why not just rename it "Support Effectiveness" instead?
Because that's not what it is. It affects all added damage, regardless of where that comes from. It just doesn't affect the base damage of skills.
It was supposed to be displayed as "Added Damage Effectiveness" but that doesn't seem to have happened. I've made a note to look into this.
Last edited by Mark_GGG on Jan 28, 2014, 9:35:12 PM
"
groob3 wrote:
I have a question about damage calculation for Incinerate. Most build guides I see apply *2.5 to tooltip DPS to estimate stage 3 damage (1 + 0.5 + 0.5 + 0.5 = 2.5).

But Incinerate does 50% MORE for EACH stage. Wouldn't that be: 1.5 * 1.5 * 1.5 (eg. *1.5 multiplier for each stage)?
No. There's one more modifier, and it's value is 50% per stage.
Please post new feedback for this skill gem here - https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2160042
Please email support@grindinggear.com if you need any assistance!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info