[3.10] Winter Orb League Starter Build

I added some information for 3.7 to the guide

Warlords Mark is dead to us. It no longer leeches with spell hits!
apart from that almost nothing has changed.

the fourth ascendancy is a little less lag inducing now - but also feels a little less powerful. Paragon of Calamity might be an option now.

Arctic Breath is also inferior to Cold Snap now. So I suggest using a Vaal Cold Snap instead of it.

Apart from that it is still a very viable build in all regards!
Enjoy!
Hey I leveled up a fresh toon to test your build.
Leveling was great but I have a hard time surviving in map.
Any lead ?
Last edited by Kemingway on Jul 15, 2019, 2:59:37 PM
"
Kemingway wrote:
Hey I leveled up a fresh toon to test your build.
Leveling was great but I have a hard time surviving in map.
Any lead ?

First thing you want to fix is resistances. After Kitava Act 10 your resistances are lowered by an additional 30% to a total of -60%.
Press C and Defenses to view them.
you should finally have them all at least at 75% - with the exception of Chaos resistance.
Use any gear you have available to push them equally out to high values. having 60 on cold and lightning and 10 on fire will get you killed by ignite really fast.
After you have them 50+ or even 60+ you can opt to get them 75 all and care about life pool. for mapping you should have a 4k life pool with this build. Also having leech from the unique ring really helps to survive. leech is based on Damage so make sure your Frost damage freezes enough enemies to be able to leech from them.
yellow maps 5k life goal and red maps 5.5k or even 6k.
Use the Pantheon Minors accordingly to avoid Poison damage or freezes.

Maps with many damage modifiers can also be painfull, so sometimes moving sideways to a group lets you avoid projectiles and damages them at the same time - without the risk of you getting stunlocked and killed. The lower your defenses, the higher the damage modifiers on enemies the more you have to compensate with playstyle to survive. So know your enemy and know how to deal damage without having to tank everything
I did check JeansJoe's characters, they still seem active, though i haven't check for any updates to the skill tree.

Could the author provide some update? I truly like this build and i intend to keep playing it, even if outdated.
Hi I did a Winter Orb build for 3.8 as a league starter and went zombie build since.
Not a lot has changed, but I admit that I haven't played too much of it in 3.8 to be in depth with any changes.

the skill tree is here
Skilltree
The tree focuses a bit more on life because I used different uniques. It's more of a pick as you go thing for me now than any cookie-cut.

I use these items
Spoiler

they are not perfect, I just felt like playing around with them. I dare not do uber elder with them but shaper should be no problem.

TLDR:
The build absolutely works as it is. I have not felt to make an update because I started this league late. I might - but don't push me on this - have a solid update for 3.9
So far the tree works the same, I changed no gems but I also didn't check for alternatives like ES leech support.
I equipped some "new" items because I found them and thought it might be fun to use them in the build.

In general I still recommend this as a starter build. Start with Arc or Freezing Pulse, use high Spellpower Wands or flat damage to spells on wands and switch to Winter Orb once you can at least 4 link it with GMP and two other supports.
It's a highly versatile and powerful build that allows for a lot of playing around and adjusting to personal preferences.
It definitely can still do endgame content if you invest in it.

For this league I just desperately needed something different, and Zombiemancer just came to me because I found good items for it.

Glad to see there is still interest in the build! might nudge me to update it in the future ;)
dude, with all the +ele res and chaos res to monster . Plus the +max life to monsters and ++life to end game bosses.

Do you really think winter orb can keep up ?

Not judging or anything, just honestly asking <3
"
BuggyPie wrote:
dude, with all the +ele res and chaos res to monster . Plus the +max life to monsters and ++life to end game bosses.

Do you really think winter orb can keep up ?

Not judging or anything, just honestly asking <3

Same as any other Ele skill will.
The thing is that this build already uses quite some Ele resistance penetration making the changes that were announced very small. The life update will have very little impact because the build has as it is enough power to kill things fast.
I honestly expect the monsterbuff to make fights effectively 5% longer if at all. For most fights with this build this makes very little difference. Especially if you use your cooldowns and your flasks (which I frequently forget).

Maybe the buffs to ignite, chill and shock will even this out or even buff this build.
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2686983
The thing is that before it was relatively hard to chill or shock a boss. now it's way easier making it easier to apply damage.
Last edited by JeansJoe on Dec 10, 2019, 7:01:35 PM
"
JeansJoe wrote:

Maybe the buffs to ignite, chill and shock will even this out or even buff this build.
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2686983
The thing is that before it was relatively hard to chill or shock a boss. now it's way easier making it easier to apply damage.

Winter orb does damage in small bits, rather than one single heavy hit, but the buff for ailments is huge, so it needs some testing
Added Passive Skilltree for 3.9
including a PoB with a few versions showing the skilltree progress

Also added a customized Lootfilter for this Build making leveling a little easier than your generic Neversink filter. You can use this Filter for Maps as well but it will show way too many things at some point. Once I get a few days in I will adjust the filter and add one for Yellow and Red maps.
More Updates! Yeiiii!
Actually playing this now... First red maps done.
Reviewed a lot of the post and updated a lot of infos.

Still a really good build btw. Still cheap-ish, Still beginner friendly.
Some people contact me ingame, thank you for that <3
But don't be disappointed if I don't answer, because sometimes I just play the game like you guys do and I can't write novels all the time.
The guide covers a lot already - and the updated VIDEO GUIDE should cover a little more.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info