Time Capsule from PoE Closed Beta -- a classic PoE vs D3 thread circa 2012

"
Tagek wrote:

But you guys are acting like it's some kind of godsent when it isn't...

Again: Thats your opinion, not anything even close to a fact, even though you try to make it sound like it is.
You cant just make your personal opinion into rule, just because you said so. Different people, different opinions.

WIP: BM Dualist using bow.
"
Wega52 wrote:
"
Tagek wrote:

But you guys are acting like it's some kind of godsent when it isn't...

Again: Thats your opinion, not anything even close to a fact, even though you try to make it sound like it is.
You cant just make your personal opinion into rule, just because you said so. Different people, different opinions.

So you really believe the game is so good that it was sent by god himself?
Jokes aside, I'm just tired of people talking about how good POE is and how it is the true successor to the diablo series when they base it on nothing. I do understand that it's your opinion and all, but some things just baffle me.
''Stand amongst the ashes of a trillion dead souls and ask the ghosts if honor matters.
The silence is your answer.''

IGN: Vaeralyse
Last edited by Tagek on Mar 25, 2012, 4:50:26 PM
Makes me want to be able to play and download right now ;D
Yeah me too, let the wait begin... oh wait it already has XD ... for PoE that is ;)
Julius's path of exile wine bundle for mac here: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/48708/page/1
Last edited by Faerie_Storm on Mar 25, 2012, 5:16:37 PM
Oh, Grim Dawn looks very nifty! If they can randomise the dungeons this time, the makers of Titan Quest had just about everything down. It was a painful thing to admit that the pre-created areas of TQ were pretty much what killed its chances to be a true D2-killer in my eyes.

Torchlight 2 will also be great; I loved the first one but realised fairly quickly it really was just Diablo 1 retooled with some things learned from Diablo 2 feedback with a more cartoony edge. That certainly didn't bother me. As the wonderful TotalBiscuit put it, Torchlight was 'meaty'; when you killed things, they really died. BUT it wasn't until the mods that I really got interested in Torchlight. Some of the custom classes were very clever indeed.

Oh, on that note, there's no modding for D3. I think I can understand why: it's a very pretty, very particular game. It doesn't have the same 'assembled on the fly' feel that the previous two games had (and thus suffered visual repetition for it, particularly in terms of tile sets). I remember how awesome Eastern Suns and Median XL were, how they literally dragged me back to Diablo 2 years after I'd quit.

Diablo 3 is going to be untouchable. You can interpret that in quite a few ways.

Tagek, your feedback and counter-points have been very stimulating and encouraging, but I think we've reached the point where both sides have presented their arguments and 'agree to disagree' is the inevitable outcome. When you strip it all away, there are certain facts that remain: I'm here, you're here, and anyone else here is here, and for whatever reason we all choose to be. Whether one's attitude is jubilant, dubious, cautious or even disingenuous, everyone here cares enough to be here.

For Path of Exile, which isn't exactly aiming to shake the Pillars of Heaven (to paraphrase the great Jack Burton), that is more than enough for now.

Warhammer 40k Inquisitor: where shotgunning is not only not nerfed, it is deeply encouraged.

Dogma > Souls, but they're masterworks all. You can't go wrong.

I was right about PoE2 needing to be a separate, new game. It was really obvious.
Last edited by Foreverhappychan on Mar 25, 2012, 5:34:37 PM
^ Agreed (to disagree). :P

What I still don't understand though is that you seem to not weigh in the multiplayer components at all.

Is this something that simply doesn't interest you?
For me, that's the biggest thing about diablo 2 (and probably will be for D3), the awesome multiplayer.

That's why I never played titan quest and haven't played
a whole lot of torchlight. (ok, a good 80 hours but it could've been more :P)

On a sidenote: Your English is ridiculously amazing, and it strengthens your arguments beyond belief. :)
Are you an english teacher of sorts?
''Stand amongst the ashes of a trillion dead souls and ask the ghosts if honor matters.
The silence is your answer.''

IGN: Vaeralyse
Last edited by Tagek on Mar 25, 2012, 5:58:06 PM
"

Tagek, your feedback and counter-points have been very stimulating and encouraging, but I think we've reached the point where both sides have presented their arguments and 'agree to disagree' is the inevitable outcome. When you strip it all away, there are certain facts that remain: I'm here, you're here, and anyone else here is here, and for whatever reason we all choose to be. Whether one's attitude is jubilant, dubious, cautious or even disingenuous, everyone here cares enough to be here.

For Path of Exile, which isn't exactly aiming to shake the Pillars of Heaven (to paraphrase the great Jack Burton), that is more than enough for now.

Mind blowing
"
Tagek wrote:
^ Agreed (to disagree). :P
Is this something that simply doesn't interest you?
For me, that's the biggest thing about diablo 2 (and probably will be for D3), the awesome multiplayer.

Truthfully I Disagree with the player limit of diablo3, admittedly I havnt groupped too much in PoE, But how are you comparing them.
Whats teh difference from 4pallies, 2 zons, a druid, and a sorc.
to 2 witchdoctors, 2 monks.
To 1 templar, 2 duelists, 1 ranger(whatever the group limit is here)?

All have skills for allies, skills for themselves, gameplays similar, lootings currently the same.
Chaos Is Life, Life Is Chaos, Control Is An Illusion.
Thanks Maetaphor for my Beta Key :)
A really insightful read. Thank you for your honest opinions.
Tagek: if I can drag some very old friends from Bnet/D1 into PoE, definitely there'll be multi play going on. But I've never been particularly competitive, and the majority of my experiences with randoms from 1997 onwards in these games have been overwhelmingly negative. It's slightly snobbish of me but I've come to feel that other people can just as easily hamper my experience as enhance it. I'm open to multiplayer but it's not a defining feature of any game for me. Heck, I still enjoy bot matches on Unreal Tournament 3! :)

Heh, I'm an English PhD candidate, although I looked into that only after writing babble like this on forums on the internet for like, over a decade. :)

Warhammer 40k Inquisitor: where shotgunning is not only not nerfed, it is deeply encouraged.

Dogma > Souls, but they're masterworks all. You can't go wrong.

I was right about PoE2 needing to be a separate, new game. It was really obvious.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info