Time Capsule from PoE Closed Beta -- a classic PoE vs D3 thread circa 2012

Probably lurking in a sub-sub-sub-sub directory on one of my external hard drives/usb sticks! I think I wrote it like 2001 or something; to say it's outdated is a gross understatement. The current mod of the Witch Doctor forum over at DiabloIncGamers wrote a FAR better one on that site. It blows my mind how deeply he looked at the build within the Lord of Destruction runeword system. My guide was more for people who'd never ever thought of mixing spell and blade, or scythe and bone armour. It's obsolete these days.

Amusingly, I also wrote some fan-fiction for diabloii.net's 'Black Library' about the Meleemancer. It was sort of silly. The only fanfic I ever wrote, in fact.

I miss caring that much about Diablo.
Predecessor! Paragon is BACK.
Finished Dragons Dogma 2 at 327 hours, 9 playthroughs. Loved every minute.
Holy shit, Assassins Creed ARPG trilogy isnt shit. 3D titan quest with better writing?
Dungeon Encounters is brilliant. Square Enix should stop banking on bloatjunk like ffxvi and ff7r.
"
Probably lurking in a sub-sub-sub-sub directory on one of my external hard drives/usb sticks! I think I wrote it like 2001 or something; to say it's outdated is a gross understatement. The current mod of the Witch Doctor forum over at DiabloIncGamers wrote a FAR better one on that site. It blows my mind how deeply he looked at the build within the Lord of Destruction runeword system. My guide was more for people who'd never ever thought of mixing spell and blade, or scythe and bone armour. It's obsolete these days.

Amusingly, I also wrote some fan-fiction for diabloii.net's 'Black Library' about the Meleemancer. It was sort of silly. The only fanfic I ever wrote, in fact.

I miss caring that much about Diablo.
after patch 1.09 the game eliminated fun builds like that, i had alot of good times on d2. RIP D2, Hello PoE! good by wc3 i mean d3 :D

hmm if that black library still exists id like to take a gander for nostalgic purposes.
Phase 1: Make D3

Phase 2: ?

Phase 3: Profit
Last edited by TheFalls212 on Mar 25, 2012, 3:29:19 AM
"

Instead I would say that Path of Exile is the game Diablo 1 would be if it were released today by the Blizzard that used to be Silicon & Synapse (or perhaps Blizzard North, depending on how you felt about Rock n Roll Racing), a Blizzard that wasn't filthy rich and really wasn't afraid to punish its players if they weren't paying attention. A Blizzard that didn't panda (heheheheh!) to its supposed fanbase.

I totally agree with this. Good post. However The one thing that diablo had at the time was the fact that it was released on Playstation which was excellent at the time.
I'm just glad that more games like this are coming to the fore again instead of yet another fps. It's good to have a slew of new titles in a arpg vein as it's such an under developed for genre or has been in the past few years.
D3 has been massively hyped up to a point where it will never be able to live up to everyones expectations. PoE seems to be sneaking in a lot more quietly so when people do find it they will be more surprised by what it offers.
"
nsweddle wrote:
"

Instead I would say that Path of Exile is the game Diablo 1 would be if it were released today by the Blizzard that used to be Silicon & Synapse (or perhaps Blizzard North, depending on how you felt about Rock n Roll Racing), a Blizzard that wasn't filthy rich and really wasn't afraid to punish its players if they weren't paying attention. A Blizzard that didn't panda (heheheheh!) to its supposed fanbase.

I totally agree with this. Good post. However The one thing that diablo had at the time was the fact that it was released on Playstation which was excellent at the time.

I don't see why you guys are acting like it's such a good game. It's pretty easy right now, nothing punishing whatsoever. When the full game is out you can compare them as much as you like, but it's just ignorant to be doing that right now.
''Stand amongst the ashes of a trillion dead souls and ask the ghosts if honor matters.
The silence is your answer.''

IGN: Vaeralyse
I have played the D3 beta extensively since the last patch, and while I do have my doubts about how long-term the game can keep my interest, I do enjoy the ride so far.

That said, I do believe that PoE is a far superior game. The (almost) complete removal of class-specific skills is a tremendous step forward for the genre as a whole. I think PoE is actually far more similar to TQ in that respect.

Personally, I will be playing both games, I'll also probably play TL2 and Grim Dawn (if that comes out before I die).
"the premier Action RPG for hardcore gamers."
-GGG

Happy hunting/fishing
"
Tagek wrote:

I don't see why you guys are acting like it's such a good game. It's pretty easy right now, nothing punishing whatsoever. When the full game is out you can compare them as much as you like, but it's just ignorant to be doing that right now.

Well, maybe bacause we actually think it's such a good game? You are completely entitled to have your opinion, being that you dont think it's a good game, while I think the game is awesome. Just because you think the game sucks, doenst mean that it's a fact, so please dont act like it is.

WIP: BM Dualist using bow.
Top 3 reasons for me not to buy Diablo III:
1. RMAH to purchase equipement in a game where the goal is to farm good loot
2. Online only when playing alone. (unlike how Path of exile is setup which is a good way of doing it since it makes it no longer a single player game XD)
3. The skill UO lies to new players with a cryptically hidden "elective mode" to get all the customizability they are bragging about.
Julius's path of exile wine bundle for mac here: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/48708/page/1
"
Wega52 wrote:
"
Tagek wrote:

Well, maybe bacause we actually think it's such a good game? You are completely entitled to have your opinion, being that you dont think it's a good game, while I think the game is awesome. Just because you think the game sucks, doenst mean that it's a fact, so please dont act like it is.

I don't think it sucks, I think it's great in it's own right. But you guys are acting like it's some kind of godsent when it isn't, and it's too early to say anything about it in the first place. (Let alone make comparisons to other games.)
''Stand amongst the ashes of a trillion dead souls and ask the ghosts if honor matters.
The silence is your answer.''

IGN: Vaeralyse
Last edited by Tagek on Mar 25, 2012, 2:24:09 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info