We're continuing our Streamer Interview series this week by talking to BalorMage, a full-time Path of Exile streamer from Australia.

Hi Balor, thank you for taking part in the interview! Please introduce yourself.

Hi, my name is BalorMage and I basically live and breathe POE, all day every day. I feel like I have a half decent understanding of maybe 60% of the game after about 11k hours played. So we are getting there.

When did you first start streaming? How did you get into it?

I started streaming part time around 2 and a half years ago, just for fun while I was working, and then attempted to go to uni to retrain, lasted about a year there and quit. About 1 year ago (maybe 1.5years? Im very bad with timeframes) I quit Uni and started streaming full time.

What can people expect from your stream and schedule?

I stream POE every single day, for 12 hours or more. 7 days a week. Usually starting between 8am and 10am Brisbane Australia time (GMT+10). I also have the most hours streamed in POE of anybody in the last year (yes, anybody. Literally nobody has streamed more POE than me in the last year). I took 1 day off for a wedding this year, and 3 days off last year for a family thing. So you can basically just assume I'll be online anytime, and I probably will be.

What were you doing before you started streaming?

For the last 12 years or so I've been a Large format offset printer (yes that's a trade). Basically I printed things on very, very, very expensive large printing presses, letterheads, business cards, posters, magazines, things like that. It paid well and was the worst, most unrewarding job ever.

When did you first get into Path of Exile?

Bloodlines league I think? It’s hard to remember because I didn’t know anything about it at the time, I just started in hardcore and I think I did a total of about 12 maps the whole league on maybe 20 toons. I did not live long.

What one thing caught your attention in the beginning and what one thing kept you coming back?

Difficulty. The game was much harder back in the day. That’s what caught my attention. Then just complexity helped me stay. But what really made me stick around long term, was honestly the developers and the community. I’ve never in my life encountered such a good online community, or any other company who treated their community so well. It doesn’t feel like we are here to play your game, it feels like we are all here in the boat being exiled together. And it’s fantastic.

Are there any highlights from your time playing Path of Exile that stand out in your memory?

The first time I took on Shaper in hardcore was bonkers for me. I really enjoyed that, and I almost didn't make it several times. But honestly every single RIP ever, I love those so much there is actually a full playlist of them on my Youtube.

What are your thoughts about the Betrayal Expansion?

Very difficult, and I love that. The mobs are dangerous, they fight back. It feels like a return to the dangers of old. Slightly sad that they copped a damage nerf. But otherwise super happy with the whole league. The big standout is the voice acting though. So many voice lines, and when they are not all happening at the same time they are fantastic.

You stream many hours of Path of Exile. What motivates you to put this many hours into what you're doing?

Honestly I just really enjoy it. When you stream this much it can't be just about the game. The community here as a whole is fantastic, and the community I'm building is really great. I feel like I’ve made a lot of friends and I get to be social while never leaving the house. That and I just really enjoy helping people.

Is there anything you'd like to see more of in the streaming community?

Collaborations. As a viewer, I always really enjoy when streamers cross over and do things together on occasion. And now as a streamer I’d really like to do more of that myself, and see others do it more. It really is fun to watch and it makes the community feel more connected.

Do you have any advice for people who are looking to make their own career out of streaming?

Don't quit your job like I did. Some people can make it in a few months, some might take 2 years. Don't put yourself in a position where if it doesn't work you're screwed. But other than that, go for it! Don't let people tell you its a waste of time! It's so rewarding and it’s a lot of fun!

Are there any up and coming streamers that you'd like to shine a spotlight on?

Honestly there are so many I wouldn't know where to start. And I would be scared of missing people out who I love. I watch quite a bit of Sefearion, KittenCatNoodle, Ghazzy, Octavian, CatmasterOP, PressStartToPaws, but a relatively new streamer that I really like is Brittleknee. Also Bex stream when? Otherwise I spend what little off time I have sleeping.

What hobbies or interests do you have outside of streaming?

Once upon a time I used to like rock climbing and swimming…. But now I don't have any interests outside of streaming ! I'll try to pick some of those up again once I’m comfortably partnered by Twitch maybe?

How has your life changed from before you were streaming until now? What role has streaming played in that transition?

Honestly it's changed a lot for the better, I'm far more broke than I ever have been in my life. And also far FAR happier. I really enjoy what I do now and that makes all the difference in the world. Money just isn't that important when you love your job.

What is one thing you think every Path of Exile player should hear?

Get loot filters, your life will be miserable without one. And most importantly, if YOU are having fun with your build… then it's not wrong. And don't let anyone (including me) say otherwise. The most important part of any game, is that you're having fun!

Do you have any projects on the horizon you'd like to talk about?

Honestly right now i'm just focused on streaming as much as I can, and trying to get twitch partner. I have been very very close the last 2 leagues. That's basically my only goal right now. But I have several things i've been playing with and starting to put together…. Just nothing that's ready for anyone to see yet.

A huge thank you to GGG for creating a game that I spend more time playing than a full time job. Also a big shout out to Bex for being an awesome community manager!

Thank you so much for participating in the interview! If you'd like to follow BalorMage, check out his Twitch, YouTube and Twitter.
Posted by 
on
Grinding Gear Games
Nice! *thumbs up*
Nice!
(Steam)MickeyDankMouse
(PSN)MickeyDankMouse
(Xbox)MickeyDankMouse
-MickeyDankMouse-
Love the stream!
Who is this guy anyway? Never heard of him.
Who's this streamer?
Who is this guy..? His laugh sounds like a duck...
Good stuff
Saved
Never heard of him...
24.1.2018 [quote="Dro28"]wheres my fragment tab?[/quote]

(I thought that was a joke)

25.1.2018: GGG- Introducing the Fragment Stash Tab!
loving this spotlight on non main stream streamers (heh) .Finally. Looking at zig.
chaotic neutral

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info