[3.5] A Storm of Ice and Fire - Truly Excessive CWDT

Any one else trying cwc scorching ray+firestorm? it's a lot faster casting and you don't need the gloves as they are and can build for more hp and what not
Last edited by Dawnvale on Jan 2, 2019, 5:36:08 PM
First off, let me say I love this build!

Quick question: Would having something in your gear that has physical damage taken converted to fire damage be a bad thing? Would it have adverse affects?
Can someone help me?
When I'm trying to kill solo target, skills not triggered(fire storm, ice storm, sparks) and I lost all blade vortex and can't kill, what with my chance to ignite? Help pls, how to fix?
What's the reasoning behind Spark + Ball Lightning in the staff setup?

Are there Fire or Ice Spells we could substitute instead, seeing as we get quite a bit of extra fire damage from our tree?
Your gem set up seems to be fine so everything should be triggering. You're still lowish level though and don't appear to have any Jewels and they can provide quite a lot of extra damage.

I'm still levelling and also finding single target a bit lacking so I addressed it with Flame Totem - Fire Penetration - Combustion. I also had Culling Strike in there which was amazing but dropped it so I could squeeze Flame Dash in. I also ran out of Chromes.

Ideally you want to be using the Vaal Molten Strike set up as your single target skill. I'm still farming for mine.

One thing that could be causing you some issues is Evasion. At lower levels your more likely to evade attacks, and if we don't get hit, we don't proc our CWDT setups. Not much we can do about this really.

One handy tip people might want to consider, use a Vaal Blade Vortex rather than a normal one. The CWDT gem will still trigger the regular version of the gem, and in a boss fight you can manually trigger the Vaal version. Just a little bit of extra damage for no downside.
"
Chibiwong wrote:

Are there Fire or Ice Spells we could substitute instead, seeing as we get quite a bit of extra fire damage from our tree?

If you check the video the OP explains why Ball Lightning was selected. Basically Storm damage is inconsistent and that can result in no life gain, no damage, and death. Ball Lightning hits every enemy in its radius every 0.15 seconds, and all our spells have at least some fire damage connected to them so Ball Lightning should still generate ignites, very consistently.

Spark is really optional but I assume selected for a similar reason, the projectiles bounce all over the screen resulting in numerous hits and ignites. I've played around with some substitutes including Ice Spear (experimenting whether the secondary crit chance would be good at keeping our Elemental Overload always up) but didn't really notice one tiny spear all that much. Currently I'm using Arc as it has a good ability to reach out and antagonise enemies who then rush face first into my fiery balls... ahem.

I think you could probably experiment with almost any spell because of the added fire damage to anything we slot in there. There's possibly even some good defensive options such as Vortex, Blight, Frost Wall, or for complete madness, throw in Lightning Warp and pretend you're a Flicker Strike build as you bounce all over the place :)

OK, I just had to play around with the Lightning Warp idea :) As they say on the TV: Do not try this at home!

It has some upsides: It's juvenile and amusing. It teleports you on top of whatever damaged you, ensuring your Enfeeble is applied to them. It can give you quick movement to whatever you want to kill.

Now the downsides: If something bad is hitting you and you run away, you'll warp back to it. So if we encounter Abaxoth for example we're going to be bouncing into his face constantly, even if we don't want to. Lab traps will be the death of us as we can't leech from them, so definitely don't use it there! Also, Don't use it in Delve, you will either keep bouncing back away from the cart, or worse, bouncing off into the darkness where monsters are damaging us and we can't kill them.

So throw it in there for a safe map and a bit of fun, but don't say I didn't warn you!
Last edited by Aldora_the_Summoner on Jan 2, 2019, 8:57:31 PM
"
Chibiwong wrote:

If you add fire damage to spells (via rings/gems/etc.) then they can proc ignite as well and they fire a lot of times per sec.
Any room to fit in Kaom's Roots in this build?
"
Despot7777 wrote:
Can someone help me?
When I'm trying to kill solo target, skills not triggered(fire storm, ice storm, sparks) and I lost all blade vortex and can't kill, what with my chance to ignite? Help pls, how to fix?

I don't see any Vaal Molten Shell in your setup, that is our single target kill.
Look under the gem setup on first page

"
Helmet: R-R-B-B

Vaal Molten Shell (21) - Fire Penetration (20) - Controlled Destruction (20) - Combustion (20)

Last edited by commonjunks on Jan 3, 2019, 12:45:49 AM
"
BladeShorty wrote:
@Commonjunks I really appreciate you breaking that down for me. Here is hoping I can get those color rolls as well as the 6 sockets. I only have 5 and have spent around 400 Jewelers to get to 6. Loving the build thus far. I have used 4L Firestorm with a 3L Arc Totem to help out while leveling this build. So far only level 33. But its been fun thus far and cant wait till I get this really going.
Appreciate your time making this

I could feel your pain, spent 15 jewellers on staff for 6s and used 500+ for chest for 6S.

With regards to 5S, if you look at op gem setup on first page

"
Chest: R B-B G R-G
Herald of Ash (20) | Blasphemy (20) - Enfeeble (20) | Herald of Ice (20) | CWDT (20) - Blade Vortex (20)

Either go with (till you get 6S on other chest?)
Option 1
Herald of Ash (20) | Blasphemy (20) - Enfeeble (20) | CWDT (20) - Blade Vortex (20)
Option 2
Herald of Ash (20) | Blasphemy (20) - Enfeeble (20) | Herald of Ice (20)

Here is my chest piece
Last edited by commonjunks on Jan 3, 2019, 12:47:42 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info