Winter Orb

I'm currently playing as a Winter Orb Totem Hierophant and am having a blast. Clears maps fast, single target is great, not crazy but definitely acceptable so far, and handles Syndicate encounters easily. It also bypasses a lot of the issues I've seen people mention here.

No need to worry about the duration of the skill itself or how clunky it might feel. Simply put your totems down and they will constantly channel as long as an enemy is near (within a full screen's distance from what I can tell), guaranteeing it'll be at full stacks all the time. The random targeting can be annoying, but with 4 totems out, it's easily overcome.

My current links are Winter Orb-Increased Critical Strikes-Hypothermia-Slower Projectiles-LMP in a Soul Mantle which gives a free Spell Totem support. I'm also getting another 2 projectiles from the Rain of Splinters jewel.

Overall I'm loving this new spell. Looks great, feels good to play (with totems anyways. Not sure about self-cast personally), and is a welcome addition to the game for me.
Last edited by Unknownone on Jan 1, 2019, 3:42:18 AM
I currently trying the skill for the second time, based on a build I saw on PoE ninja.
So far, so good. I recently turn all my gems to 20% quality and am slowly turning them back up. Some people compare it do Blade Vortex, and I feel it's a good comparison.
With Herald's (Ice and Thunder), the clear speed it's more than fine. What needed to be clarified is some support interactions, especially with projectiles supports. GMP is fine, but does slower projectiles affect? Pierce? Fork? In the end I tryed those just to see they do not work.
My current try is Inquisitor, crit based. My links are: Winter Orb > Controlled Destruction > Increased Critical Strikes > GMP > Concentrated Effect > Hypothermia.
I'm currently lvl 91, didn't try any endgame boss yet
"
Jess_GGG wrote:
Post your feedback for this skill here!

Make sure you concisely state your character build, level, and other complimenting abilities you have when you talk about a skill - The more we know about your character, the better we can understand your feedback.

So i think the duration needs a small bump. 0.5 or 0.6 would greatly assist it.

Running 45% increased duration from skill tree, it feels more like i am casting it most every pack, if not more. And that is why this skill plays more like arc or incinerate than say BV.

"Winter OrbCold, Spell, Channelling, AoE, Duration, Projectile
Mana Cost: (2-4)
Cast Time: 0.25 sec
Critical Strike Chance: 6.00%
Damage Effectiveness: 60%
Requires Level 28
Channel to conjure an orb above you, which pelts nearby enemies with projectiles that impact the ground and explode. Channelling for longer builds up stages on the skill. When you stop channelling, the stages decay over a duration.
Per 1% Quality:
0.5% increased Cast SpeedDeals (23-258) to (28-322) Cold Damage
Maximum 10 Stages
Fires projectiles every 0.8 seconds
+0.4 seconds to Base Duration per Stage
15% increased Projectile Frequency per Stage"

"a duration" or just simply "duration"

Side note - someone mentioned WO Totems i would think this is the best use of the skill.
Last edited by Amarath on Jan 23, 2019, 4:37:18 PM
Winter orb is wonderful BUT it is severely bugged. It scales hard with cast speed even if it is not supposed to be affected other than chargeup time.

Source:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VSXHyy6GvE

It is impossible to have an opinion about this skill performancewise before the bug has been fixed.
This skill is absolutely broken. It's just to strong, sorry.

Too much damage.
Too big range. Shoots even at targets outside of your screen.
Massive AoE.
Automatic aim. Only one (longer) klick (until max. stages).
No effort to get it started.
Kill speed is only limited by how far you can run while it lasts.

I am a 76 Assassin with basically no / only selffound gear (name Sipserap).

Please nerf this.

I see no reason why it would stop being overpowered later into the game.

Everything else is just lame compared to this.
I know NOTHING else that can even remotely compare to this skill.
Last edited by Swoelf on Mar 18, 2019, 2:17:24 PM
"
Swoelf wrote:
This skill is absolutely broken. It's just to strong, sorry.

Too much damage.
Too big range. Shoots even at targets outside of your screen.
Massive AoE.
Automatic aim. Only one (longer) klick (until max. stages).
No effort to get it started.
Kill speed is only limited by how far you can run while it lasts.

I am a 76 Assassin with basically no / only selffound gear (name Sipserap).

Please nerf this.

I see no reason why it would stop being overpowered later into the game.

Everything else is just lame compared to this.
I know NOTHING else that can even remotely compare to this skill.

I can second this. I like playing off-meta skills and try and make them work, but when faced with stupid overpowered Winterorb I have to reconsider. Doing fine this season, but I might be doing much better with WO
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/artcrusader
Definitely the most powerful skill in the game right now.
Posted twice oops.
Last edited by b5001 on Apr 28, 2019, 2:08:29 PM
i combined the totem idea with a sire of shards...
its literally ludicrous!

the one-handed near-bot level farming this skill provides once you tempchains yourself is hilarious.

is the skill fire rate meant to scale off cast speed? cause boy it sure does.
I see the WO was nerfed alot..

Just wondering, does increase duration nodes from tree increase duration of this skill? because got 45% nodes and the skill just seems to last same as 0% charging to 6s? then goes away quickly...

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info