Winter Orb

Post your feedback for this skill here!

Make sure you concisely state your character build, level, and other complimenting abilities you have when you talk about a skill - The more we know about your character, the better we can understand your feedback.
Please email support@grindinggear.com if you need any assistance!

Last bumped on Aug 9, 2023, 6:33:17 PM
I am doing Winter Orb Scion, it doesn't feel good leveling up with and 10 stacks last too short. It would feel so much better to reduce maximum stages to 6 and buff frequent projectiles to compensate for 6 stages.

I tested Arc miner and it literally outperform winter orb in clearing and having lower damage with one downside, that is mana cost.

I would rather play Arc miner over Winter Orb because Winter Orb feel too clunky with 10 stages that doesn't last too long and its auto targeting can be dangerous too. Because its targeting design is horrible, I have died to random monsters with it. When I use Arc, I don't die that often as I have with Winter Orb.

My suggestion is to reduce maximum stages to 6 and buff frequent projectiles and keep its annoying stage length OR make its length like Blade Vortex's stages. I mean when you channel it up to 10 stages, make it last 10 seconds instead of reducing its stage. Because of the way Winter orb's stages are right now, it feels weird and annoying to maintain it to get best projectile frequents.

Last edited by Blazera on Dec 11, 2018, 6:14:37 PM
I'm actually playing a winter orb occultist. I was wondering about the chain and fork gem, how do they interact with winter orb? I'm asking because they seem to support winter orb but it feels like it can't or doesn't.
I love this skill, but with 15-20 stages of duration would be nicer. It's playable, fast and enjoyable, but casting it every few seconds is annoying. I have 8 seconds and it just starts to be acceptable.

Besides elemental reflection shouldn't affect this skill, since it's the orb, which is responsible for dealing damage, not the caster...
"
Blazera wrote:

I tested Arc miner and it literally outperform winter orb in clearing and having lower damage with one downside, that is mana cost.

I would rather play Arc miner over Winter Orb because Winter Orb feel too clunky with 10 stages that doesn't last too long and its auto targeting can be dangerous too. Because its targeting design is horrible, I have died to random monsters with it. When I use Arc, I don't die that often as I have with Winter Orb.

OR we could just nerf Arc.

https://poe.ninja/challenge/builds

30% of ladder players using Arc? that's imbalanced as hell.
I made an Elem+Assassin Scion as a starter with winter orb.

I enjoyed the skill for the most part but i would love the change two things:

I'd like a slightly higher base duration. Or making the decay slower for the first 5 stages and keeping the same for 5-10 to reward staying in place channeling the spell maybe.

We need to be able to target the stuff we want while channeling ! Running around clearing trash is ok but some part of the game were nearly impossible because of the random targeting.
Syndicate fortress was the worst. If i failed killing the door before the infinite adds start spawning, the org would start targeting and killing adds and not the door ending in a huge mess. I had both witch + templar AoE radius + a divinarius weapon + GMP support and the splash wasn't always enough the hit the door or immortal aura rares when in the middle of a pack.
Maker of ZeeL's Amplifier.
"
Kagari wrote:

We need to be able to target the stuff we want while channeling ! Running around clearing trash is ok but some part of the game were nearly impossible because of the random targeting.
Syndicate fortress was the worst. If i failed killing the door before the infinite adds start spawning, the org would start targeting and killing adds and not the door ending in a huge mess. I had both witch + templar AoE radius + a divinarius weapon + GMP support and the splash wasn't always enough the hit the door or immortal aura rares when in the middle of a pack.

i keep having this same problem. i like the fact it can destroy and break containers but i hate how they somehow prioritize targeting pots over monsters. ffs. I hate it when bosses have mobs that constantly respawn so its targeting design keep prioritizing mobs over boss 75% of times.

"
Gosen wrote:
I love this skill, but with 15-20 stages of duration would be nicer. It's playable, fast and enjoyable, but casting it every few seconds is annoying. I have 8 seconds and it just starts to be acceptable.

Besides elemental reflection shouldn't affect this skill, since it's the orb, which is responsible for dealing damage, not the caster...

15-20 stages would be nightmare unless they make channeling it faster with casting speeds, i think it would be better to reduce stages to 6 or increasing duration on its current stage.
Last edited by Blazera on Dec 14, 2018, 12:00:27 PM
"
Myhanus wrote:
I'm actually playing a winter orb occultist. I was wondering about the chain and fork gem, how do they interact with winter orb? I'm asking because they seem to support winter orb but it feels like it can't or doesn't.

I guess the less damage will affect it but as the projectiles are ground targeted, they behave like molten strike: no chain, fork, pierce.
I'm doing Winter Orb CI Occultist, been enjoying it. Took me an embarrassingly long time to realise adding extra projectiles would be a good idea, wasn't too sure about the skill before that, but as soon as I did, it immediately went from plink-plink-plink to pack-explosion territory.

Took one of the Skill Duration clusters to bring it up to six seconds at full charges rather than four, which doesn't sound like much but does feel a lot more comfortable. Main problem I have where I am now (80-something) is finding time in tough fights to channel more than a couple of stages before I have to run around some more. Gotta get some more cast speed I guess.

Anyway, nice skill, pretty unique in the game at this point.
Awesome 'new age' skill. Can be successfully used at level 28-100 by your cat instead of you.

The skill has no hit impact sound effect.
Damage on Sarn Arena for some unknown reason* feels too high.

I'd suggest to get rid of this annoying and redundant channeling mechanics. The skill should be a banner-like aura, you cast it once at the map entrance and then just run around while the skill keep killing things at its current hit rate.

The fact the skill kills monsters that appear just slightly off 16:9 screen is wrong! The game preloads a lot more area than just a visible 16:9 zone, the skill should utilize that. Aim range must be increased to 200 units at least.

* GMP
Problem: impostor syndrome
Solution: nerf everything
Result: depressing mess
Last edited by a_z0_9 on Dec 22, 2018, 3:51:59 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info