[3.6] [ELE] THE SPHERE OF SPEARS - Winter Orb CwC Ice Spear [1H] [Uber Atziri/Uber Elder down]

How does this look to you guys?

https://www.pathofexile.com/fullscreen-passive-skill-tree/3.5.0/AAAABAABAQPuBLMFQgceCGcI9AnZDkgPxBEtES8RlhSwFm8XVBg8GFYYXRo4HNwdFB2-IFkigSL0Jy8o-isKLJww-DLRM4c1kjrYOuE7fDxLQYdBlkVHRZ1G10lRSbFMLU3jUXRTDlNSU9RUR1VLVkpXKVgXWfNd8mHiZlRmnmpDbAttGXGFcg98g3_Ggh6Cm4LHjDaNgo48jmSO6Y8aj_qQVZMnkzqUb5UumuCeoZ7EnwGhL6IAoj6io6ZXppmmvqu6rfGu_7FCtvq3PriTuMq5k7zqvSe-isBmwfPDCcpG0PXR5NWm18_Yvdq53ZLireNq6-7r9e-I8NXyHfJF8tLzEfem-Tf56PrS_gr-jw==
Thanks for the build :)

Do you think it will be high map tier and end game viable?
"
Ending2018 wrote:
look promising :)

what is a 6l build character for storm winter + Spears!
with the new cold gem!

added :)

"
Macen wrote:
Slight tangent here. how would you modify the build to work with a Scion? Curious about ascendancy and what changes you might make to the skill tree.

"
Macen wrote:
How does this look to you guys?

https://www.pathofexile.com/fullscreen-passive-skill-tree/3.5.0/AAAABAABAQPuBLMFQgceCGcI9AnZDkgPxBEtES8RlhSwFm8XVBg8GFYYXRo4HNwdFB2-IFkigSL0Jy8o-isKLJww-DLRM4c1kjrYOuE7fDxLQYdBlkVHRZ1G10lRSbFMLU3jUXRTDlNSU9RUR1VLVkpXKVgXWfNd8mHiZlRmnmpDbAttGXGFcg98g3_Ggh6Cm4LHjDaNgo48jmSO6Y8aj_qQVZMnkzqUb5UumuCeoZ7EnwGhL6IAoj6io6ZXppmmvqu6rfGu_7FCtvq3PriTuMq5k7zqvSe-isBmwfPDCcpG0PXR5NWm18_Yvdq53ZLireNq6-7r9e-I8NXyHfJF8tLzEfem-Tf56PrS_gr-jw==

i would do something like this
http://poeurl.com/cbzx

i've specced out some point to have a more realistic final tree

a lot of people seems to prefer INQUISITOR/DEADEYE cause it gives +1 proj and pierce, but INQUISITOR/ELEMENTALIST is nice too (plus you become immune to reflect)

"
Kikouyouhhh wrote:
Thanks for the build :)

Do you think it will be high map tier and end game viable?

there's potential...
while leveling the damage of the 4l is on par with the damage i had leveling with a gc miner (4l there too).

the "problem" is that gc is very scalable, while at this time is hard to tell if that is the case for ice spear too
Maybe you could replace the Frostbite setup with:

Arctic Breath + Bonechill + Hypothermia + Unbound Ailments

I assume you mainly need to debuff bosses, for which curses don't work really well due to the lessened effect. The new Arctic Breath creates Chilled Ground which stays a lot longer due to Potency of Will and will always chill for 10% (of course the Elementalist Ascendancy would've also covered this).

Now Bonechill increases all Cold Damage taken by the Chill effectiveness, of which we stack:
- 44% from Bonechill itself (also increases DoT of Arctic Breath)
- 20% from Hypothermia (also increases DoT of Arctic Breath)
- 30% from Unbound Ailments
- 15% from Celestial Punishment in the Tree

That's 109% increased Effectiveness, so 20.9% increased Damage Taken, additionally to the significant slow effect and the DoT, in comparison to Frostbites 17.6% (44% times 0.4 effectiveness for normal bosses, would be 8.8% for Shaper). Not that much of a difference, but you could even stack both by switching out Assassins's Mark and Frostbite in your gloves and even stack Frostbomb on top.

May be a bit of commitment just to debuff though... And you're right, a CwDT setup would also be quite nice.

Nice build idea by the way, Winter Orb and Ice Spears seem to synergize really well :-)!
Last edited by DangerMcCool on Dec 11, 2018, 11:05:23 AM
Greetings! Love what you're trying to accomplish.
Have you considered Mind Over Matter for increased tankyness? Not sure how mana hungry this will become.
"
tufferugli wrote:

a lot of people seems to prefer INQUISITOR/DEADEYE cause it gives +1 proj and pierce, but INQUISITOR/ELEMENTALIST is nice too (plus you become immune to reflect)

I see the Inquisitor/Deadeye option and may consider going that route. I do have a question for you on why you made the changes you did.

Here are the nodes you're getting that I'm not (I made one change and got spell crit on the right over elemental damage - somehow missed that branch):

20% increased crit chance for spells x1
10% Increased Elemental Damage x3
12% Increased Damage x1
14% Increased Damage and 14 Mana x1
5% Increased Max Life x3
10% Increased Max Life and +5 all elemental resists x1
12% Increased Attack Speed, 6% increased Cast Speed, and +10 dex and int x1
10% increased Projectile Damage
20% Increased Projectile Damage and 10% increased Projectile Speed x1
1 Jewel Socket

Here is what I get that you don't:
+10 Intelligence x1
12% Increased Cold Damage x1
15% Increased Cold Damage x3
25% Increased Cold Damage and Damage penetrates 6% cold resist x1
10% Increased Cold Damage, 30% Increased Duration of Chill and 20% increased duration for Freeze x1
10% Increased Cold Damage, +5% to cold damage over time multiplier, and 10% increased effect of chill x1
10% Increased Cold Damage, 5% chance to freeze, +5% to cold damage over time multiplier x1
20% Increased Cold Damage, 20% increased duration of freeze on enemies, 10% chance to freeze, +10% to cold damage over time multiplier, and 15% increased effect of chill x1

I am by no means saying you are incorrect - just curious as to why? The big gain I see is the Jewel socket, 25% health (and 5 resist), 20% increased crit chance, 6% increased cast speed, and the projectile speed.

I'm still a noob, but the Health, Jewel Socket and cast speed seem like the only real advantage you tree is bringing.

The question I have and this is 100% honest question, is does 25% health, 5% resist, 1 jewel socket, 6% cast speed and 10% projectile speed offset 46% more damage (if I did the math right), 6% cold damage pen, 30% increased duration of chill, 40% increased duration of freeze, 25% increased effect of chill, and 15% chance to freeze?

I am worried that I am doing the math on those wrong though - are the additive or multiplicative? I don't remember.

I know survival is a huge factor in making a build and that seems to be what you're favoring over me. i'm just curious if the freeze chance and increased damage offsets it at all.

TLDR:Why?
Last edited by Macen on Dec 11, 2018, 5:33:14 PM
Playing this right now, the damage and clear is actually really degenerate. Here's hoping this won't get hotfix nerfed.

This is my crap gear at 85
"
DangerMcCool wrote:
Maybe you could replace the Frostbite setup with:

Arctic Breath + Bonechill + Hypothermia + Unbound Ailments

I assume you mainly need to debuff bosses, for which curses don't work really well due to the lessened effect. The new Arctic Breath creates Chilled Ground which stays a lot longer due to Potency of Will and will always chill for 10% (of course the Elementalist Ascendancy would've also covered this).

Now Bonechill increases all Cold Damage taken by the Chill effectiveness, of which we stack:
- 44% from Bonechill itself (also increases DoT of Arctic Breath)
- 20% from Hypothermia (also increases DoT of Arctic Breath)
- 30% from Unbound Ailments
- 15% from Celestial Punishment in the Tree

That's 109% increased Effectiveness, so 20.9% increased Damage Taken, additionally to the significant slow effect and the DoT, in comparison to Frostbites 17.6% (44% times 0.4 effectiveness for normal bosses, would be 8.8% for Shaper). Not that much of a difference, but you could even stack both by switching out Assassins's Mark and Frostbite in your gloves and even stack Frostbomb on top.

May be a bit of commitment just to debuff though... And you're right, a CwDT setup would also be quite nice.

Nice build idea by the way, Winter Orb and Ice Spears seem to synergize really well :-)!

while i like the idea, the plan is to be less "socket heavy" for the bosses. also the cwdt setup.

"
Swoth wrote:
Greetings! Love what you're trying to accomplish.
Have you considered Mind Over Matter for increased tankyness? Not sure how mana hungry this will become.

the problem of MoM is that you need to have a lot of mana unreserved.
to be more precise a lot of mana and mana regen in general, which this build doesn't have, but i would love to see a tanky MoM variant :D

"
Macen wrote:
"
tufferugli wrote:

I see the Inquisitor/Deadeye option and may consider going that route. I do have a question for you on why you made the changes you did.

Spoiler

Here are the nodes you're getting that I'm not (I made one change and got spell crit on the right over elemental damage - somehow missed that branch):

20% increased crit chance for spells x1
10% Increased Elemental Damage x3
12% Increased Damage x1
14% Increased Damage and 14 Mana x1
5% Increased Max Life x3
10% Increased Max Life and +5 all elemental resists x1
12% Increased Attack Speed, 6% increased Cast Speed, and +10 dex and int x1
10% increased Projectile Damage
20% Increased Projectile Damage and 10% increased Projectile Speed x1
1 Jewel Socket

Here is what I get that you don't:
+10 Intelligence x1
12% Increased Cold Damage x1
15% Increased Cold Damage x3
25% Increased Cold Damage and Damage penetrates 6% cold resist x1
10% Increased Cold Damage, 30% Increased Duration of Chill and 20% increased duration for Freeze x1
10% Increased Cold Damage, +5% to cold damage over time multiplier, and 10% increased effect of chill x1
10% Increased Cold Damage, 5% chance to freeze, +5% to cold damage over time multiplier x1
20% Increased Cold Damage, 20% increased duration of freeze on enemies, 10% chance to freeze, +10% to cold damage over time multiplier, and 15% increased effect of chill x1

I am by no means saying you are incorrect - just curious as to why? The big gain I see is the Jewel socket, 25% health (and 5 resist), 20% increased crit chance, 6% increased cast speed, and the projectile speed.

I'm still a noob, but the Health, Jewel Socket and cast speed seem like the only real advantage you tree is bringing.

The question I have and this is 100% honest question, is does 25% health, 5% resist, 1 jewel socket, 6% cast speed and 10% projectile speed offset 46% more damage (if I did the math right), 6% cold damage pen, 30% increased duration of chill, 40% increased duration of freeze, 25% increased effect of chill, and 15% chance to freeze?

I am worried that I am doing the math on those wrong though - are the additive or multiplicative? I don't remember.

I know survival is a huge factor in making a build and that seems to be what you're favoring over me. i'm just curious if the freeze chance and increased damage offsets it at all.

TLDR:Why?

i spoilered part of the message because it was very long.
anyway, those weren't by any means "bad" nodes.
the problem was that you were using all of your points.
it's very difficult and time consuming to achieve lvl 100 even for seasoned players, so usually trees are planned around lvl 90.

i decided to remove the upper damage nodes because i think that they were a little overkill, and also not much cost efficient.

"
Magisch wrote:
Playing this right now, the damage and clear is actually really degenerate. Here's hoping this won't get hotfix nerfed.

This is my crap gear at 85

dude... i totally forgot that vaal righteous fire was a thing... the boss setup issue is resolved :D
also, i like a how you went for warlord's mark instead of assassin's mark.
given the absurd base crit of the second form of ice spear the power charge give around 3% of dps in my setup right now, while end charge would be much better for survivabilty.
i'll try both of these things asap
I would love a leveling section with a breakdown on the skill tree path in PoB.

It would be greatly appreciated if and when you have the time to do it.
"
theeze wrote:
I would love a leveling section with a breakdown on the skill tree path in PoB.

It would be greatly appreciated if and when you have the time to do it.

i've added both a little guide and the pob breakdown :)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info