Is it OK to troll the D3 forums?

you need to be more serious with some humor like the following one

https://us.battle.net/forums/en/d3/topic/20769629126#post-1
It's not just OK, it's encouraged.
I am the light of the morning and the shadow on the wall, I am nothing and I am all.
"
If it's hilarious? Or is this frowned upon and anti-TOS?

Ideally, trolling should be both.

Of course, humour is usually subjective, and subtlety in bending the ToS varies.

People always have had a strange need to spread their toxicity somewhere else and to have a "nemesis" to throw their hate at. Quite sure you wouldn't be the first to troll on blizzard forums anyway.
"In this game you're just a cow being milked, not a human being entertained" - Kiss_Me_Quick
"
鬼殺し wrote:
"
IIPheXII wrote:
People always have had a strange need to spread their toxicity somewhere else and to have a "nemesis" to throw their hate at. Quite sure you wouldn't be the first to troll on blizzard forums anyway.

It's a misbegotten attempt at solidarity.

Mate, that's profound.

I'm gonna start copying these in a txt file.

Incidentally, on a good day, I can only manage pseudo-profound bullshit statements (PPBS):

'People who see patterns where none exist are more receptive to pseudo-profound bullshit'

https://www.psypost.org/2018/11/people-who-see-patterns-where-none-exist-are-more-receptive-to-pseudo-profound-bullshit-52657

"
A new study has found that apophenia, or the tendency to see patterns or causal connections where none exist, is associated with receptivity to pseudo-profound bullshit.

The findings, which appear in the European Journal of Personality, indicate that people high in apophenia have trouble distinguishing truly profound statements from pseudo-profound statements.

“Since a young age, I’ve enjoyed dissecting different interpretations of ambiguous statements. This interest was revived with the pseudo-profound bullshit statement (PPBS). The strangely alluring sense that they should mean something, while not meaning anything, made PPBS incredibly interesting to me,” said study author Timothy Bainbridge of The University of Melbourne.
"
鬼殺し wrote:

Children troll. Don't really care what age they are, if they troll (and by troll we really mean they do malicious things purely to get a rise out of others, for the 'lulz'), they're a child to me. Adults can tease, satirize, hint. They can even play practical jokes. The key element is malicious intent.

To troll is to be malicious.

Yes, the Schadenfreude is strong in the troll.

Some people love to poke animals until they retaliate. Doing so with people on the internet, though not comparable in cruelty, is still malicious.

I think people do not define trolling properly either. Or presumably it means different things to people. Something applicable to almost everyone, attention-seeking, by e.g. posting stuff on forums, gets you a misguided yet instant label of a troll. Others think it's the inability to emphasise with the other's viewpoints, even a little bit. Or if you negatively criticise something (even with reasoning and examples), you might be suspected of trol-lol-lo-looo-ing.

It gets thrown around so much, people cry wolf, nobody bats an eyelid anymore.

It's a useless label, in my opinion.

Now pixies, or fairies. There's an idea. Pixing(?) or fairying, to bedazzle and stop someone in their tracks, and then make one think about the present and what they are actually doing.
"
rojimboo wrote:

Mate, that's profound.

Well, the one who interpretated "depth" in that post is you. The only pseudo-profound bullshit here is your interpretation.
"In this game you're just a cow being milked, not a human being entertained" - Kiss_Me_Quick
"
鬼殺し wrote:

Children troll. Don't really care what age they are, if they troll (and by troll we really mean they do malicious things purely to get a rise out of others, for the 'lulz'), they're a child to me. Adults can tease, satirize, hint. They can even play practical jokes. The key element is malicious intent.

To troll is to be malicious.

Dear Shannon,
That is shocking news. Luckily I was
sitting down when I read your email and not half way up a ladder or tree. How are you holding up? I am surprised you managed to attend work at all what with thinking about Missy out there cold, frightened and alone... possibly lying on the side of the road, her back legs squashed by a vehicle, calling out "Shannon, where are you?"

Humor Trolls: “One of the more common types of trolls and although often destructive they also tend to be mischievous rather than outright malicious (exceptions do exist). Humor Trolls believe that the act of trolling is comedy and indeed some Humor Trolls can be funny to certain people, the major problem with this particular type of troll is the comedy is not always welcome and often disrupts the normal flow of online communities.” (Villains Wikia)

Troll Triad is a construct introducing a three-pronged archetypal model defining groups of online users who engage in defamation of character, slander & libel. Troll Triad also describes how future groups of iPredators will be partitioned into three archetypal segments called Cerebral, Provocateur and the Crier. -iPredator Inc.

iPredator - This site's pretty comprehensive

^ 100 Types of Internet Troll
&
Internet Troll Definition

iPredator image search (I was looking for a picture of the guy who runs it)

Looks like there's a lot of money to be made in the Trollhunting business.

Last edited by erdelyii on Dec 10, 2018, 2:42:38 AM
"
鬼殺し wrote:
I've heard it's a pretty good series.

As for David Thorne...oh man, I'm glad he exists but he strikes me as someone who'd take all the shit the world could throw at him IRL. There's just a little bit too much of the forced snark in his approach. I've met his type. It's not necessarily a bad thing -- we all need some way of venting, after all. His is essentially harmless.

The iPredator series?

Mm, it's interesting and based in solid theory. The Dark Traid stuff applied to Trolling makes sense: the whole site is really "Holy crap that's Gold and a great way to make money (and help people)".

So "extra" it looks almost made up. Plus, the danger of a site that is so serious - "is this a giant troll in itself?!" (I looked it up) So -

I found the article, oddly, in its' entirety and free.

Looks like solid psychological method. Of course self-report is notoriously dodgy, really the rusted brass standard of the science. Still...

David Thorne, yeah, I agree with that. Small doses, and he must be awful to work with. It'd be fun to troll him back - seems he gets way way too little of that.

I like to think that inside every troll is a warm, humanistic satirist waiting to be born. Of course, that's far from the reality, and most are just antisocial assholes. Still, they serve to remind others of the finer qualities we wish to embody, and nurture in a community or in others. Sometimes that is by exposing people at their worst in reactions.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info