Announcing Private Leagues

Ayyy why not, its outside the box.
Reliquarian extraordinaire, seeker of mysteries, explorer of the unknown, lover of all things that glitter.

*Global 1 Cutie*
"
morbeis wrote:
"
Rafe13 wrote:

Slow clap for Tencent's GGG.

Slow clap for people who don't realise this was a design goal from the very beginning.

-Morbeis

Lol... with all due respect, wtf are you talking about?

I see you first supported at breach, take a look at the support I have given this game over the years. I've been around a lot longer than you my friend. This does not mean that my opinion is more valid than yours, of course. It does show that I'm not shy to hand over a bit of cash to GGG.

But to say that custom leagues was the design goal from the very beginning is complete nonsense.

This is not GGG doing anyone a favor, or giving the community a feature that the majority have been desperately crying out for. This is pure & simple a 'Tencent GGG' cash grab. This system will go core or be removed based purely on actual or perceived $'s gained or lost.

Whats wrong with that I hear people say...

My main issue is simple, its the first time we have had content gated behind a paywall... ever.
"

I'm not saying any of it is a good idea. It's not. Long ago, something like this could have worked. Not now. The game and audience isn't what it was.

That's fair the game is different and the audience has changed due to getting bigger.

I don't personally (and this is my selfish opinion) want them to adapt the game to a larger mass market audience. That's how you get family friendly (overly) casual friendly games and enough of them exist already. POE is (comparatively) rare.

"

Will some use this OPTIONAL feature? Maybe some will. But it doesn't change the fact that there is still a 100% free full game to play.

Which is great !

"

That people want to deny the companies from making money via OPTIONAL play modes is bizarre. That is how they fund development of the FREE game you're playing now.

Agreed.

-Morbeis
I must say that i didn't anticipate such a hate for private league idea done as they did. I mean it is definitely not pay to win, because you cannot gain anything from this.

If that would be any other company there would be optional modes like extra breach,perandus,abyss with nemesis and beyond.

This system is quite clever and should be for bigger group friend that want some change in their PoE play and for streamers who could make their game more entertaining on Twitch.

Please be considered to any dislike you express for idea optional choice that is clearly for about 1% of PoE community.

Go with hate to another RPG games that deserves it.
Last edited by LoBa on Nov 5, 2018, 2:53:15 PM
I'm sad to see an upgrade in difficulty when I've been playing for 6 years and didn't even manage to kill the shaper because the item drops are not good enough for me to make any currency.

I would like the game to get easier - but not difficulty easy - but less randomness

I feel there are way too many types of useless items and mods - especially for things like Lab enchants that make items way too expensive for players like me who don't stay online 12 hours a day but who just generally enjoy the game for an hour after work.

I've been here since closed beta when I got a supporter pack in otder to get a license key and generally support devs every league - but I only see more stuff being added which reduces the chance of getting something actually useful.

Some changes I would like to see - reducing the number of uniques, prophecies, cards, essences, orbs and mods to about 10 types each. Maybe exaggerate on 10 - probably 20 or more will have to be on items. Anyway - maintaining the most used from each. Thus giving me the 1 in 10 or 1 in 20 chance of actually getting an item I need rather than getting 4 stashes full of stuff that no-one ever buys and have to vendor all of them for a total of 3 alc.

What is the point of having an item that adds 1-2 fire damage, increases energy shield by 1 and gives extra 3 dexterity as mods. What's the point of having this other than to make adding 20% increased fire damage harder to obtain?

Adding these leagues - great for people who want a challenge - but what about people who don't? I watched these streamers and they dropped more stuff in 2 videos than I did in 2 months of playing. Me being at level 89! They probably have the drop chance increased somehow to get videos seen more...

That's the opinion of an average player though... not expect anyone to actually care
I like pizza
"
Rafe13 wrote:
"
morbeis wrote:
"
Rafe13 wrote:

Slow clap for Tencent's GGG.

Slow clap for people who don't realise this was a design goal from the very beginning.

-Morbeis

Lol... with all due respect, wtf are you talking about?

I'm talking about this :

Paid Leagues
In addition, we plan to allow guilds or groups of players to pay for the creation of their own league with a choice of game rule modifiers. Only players invited by the people who paid for the league can create characters in these private leagues. This option helps cater towards any groups of players who want to play online together but don’t want their playgroup to have access to items traded from external players.

Which you can see here :

https://web.archive.org/web/20101126015453/http://pathofexile.com/leagues/

Which is 8 years old.

"

I see you first supported at breach, take a look at the support I have given this game over the years. I've been around a lot longer than you my friend. This does not mean that my opinion is more valid than yours, of course. It does show that I'm not shy to hand over a bit of cash to GGG.

So you've been around longer have paid more and know less. OK.

"

But to say that custom leagues was the design goal from the very beginning is complete nonsense.

See my above link. It's pretty clear it was...

Flex less and read more i guess ?

-Morbeis

EDIT: Quote from Chris to sweeten the deal

"

[–]chris_wilson Lead Developer 518 points 19 hours ago
Good analysis. These reasons all contributed to the decision, and match our gut feeling a decade ago when we first started discussing the system.

https://old.reddit.com/r/pathofexile/comments/9u8v0p/discussion_private_leagues_player_expectations/

(Emphasis mine)
Last edited by morbeis on Nov 5, 2018, 2:57:50 PM
"
-dont forget: you "rent" a share of the servers (hardware). The price is cheap. Look what other private servers cost in other games.

Thats probabaly not how its done,..
player.dat gets 2 more lines:
pleague=true/false
pleagueid=#unique private league id

entering an area: boleancheck and apply mods via id
entering a town: either new instance or just make everyone without the pid invisible

with and without the private league you are playing on the server

The only reason why its gated behind payment is to prevent we all end up playing singelplayer or in a horrible mess of who to play with ending up in everyone plays alone.

I am certain GGG is smart enough and have done it as i explained or similiar,.. the only resources wasted was the developement of the implementation and configuration and interaction.

I am all fine with the private league as long as it will stay optional without becoming a better way of playing the game.
It's awesome for streamers,.. so only fear the future where this could lead to,..
cheers
paraphrasing Tarke and Nuggi in recent tube video:

"there is no negative feedback"

"have you seen any negative feedback?"

"nope no negative feedback"

"this is really good"

Meanwhile on the company website in the main announcement thread...
✰CARD✰ The Survivalist
I can’t buy any more big supporter packs because the forum only supports showing 7 legacy tags.
"
Paldamus wrote:
"
vio wrote:
really?

i can't prolong a temp league?

seems like you didn't realise that the dividing line between players isn't the one having the pseudo hardcore players (ugh, my char is in another league now) and softcore players (omg i lost xp)

but between 20h per day players (well i played 600 hours in 6 weeks, let's play another game) and those losers who have a life and the league ends for them when they hit red maps.

Who needs 3 months to hit red maps? Even someone who plays a few hours a day PLUS more during the weekends should easily be able to hit red maps in a few weeks. Vets hit reds in a couple of days usually.

i play with casuals who areable to do 16 masters, 2 maps and 15 min of delve per day weekkdays and can't play on weekends much cause of family, work a.s.o

one guy just hit level 83 right now.
age and treachery will triumph over youth and skill!
Maybe it's not up to reading comprehension, but lack of information, luckly more to come in the next week announcement. I mean, if this is just a feature Im ok with it, but maybe a lot of people are thinking this is the big theme for the patch, like if it was it own challengue league, and those who cant afford to buy the P league mods and chars, have to stick with standard.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info