AoE vs Projectile

"
sofocle10000 wrote:
Stop it with the "spreading salt" @#$$%&*|. Thanks.

Some of us do prefer to be critical and offer feedback and suggestions on this area of the forum

I don't quite see why I would stop pointing out stuff, really.
You are not being critical, you are being emotional, period.

You don't like what PoE is becoming and you are getting bitter and bitter, we got it, but saying that it isn't an arpg anymore is .... something that I would qualify with adjectives I won't use because it could be considered needlessly negative by the moderation.

"
sofocle10000 wrote:
Applying a drawback regarding damage to projectiles that move offscreen should be a lot better than simply making all of them deal no damage whatsoever

Who suggested that here ?

"
sofocle10000 wrote:
if Chris stays true to his word

What word ?
Do you have anything else than baseless claims like this one ?

Max crit chance (that pretty much nobody is going for), and it's not "so easy" to reach, you seem to be very misinformed.
The investment is already something that balances, the scaling you can get from crit is a bit of a different story though.

"
sofocle10000 wrote:
I know, I know, the "technology wasn't there yet", but I bet that it is today, so they have no more excuses

Again, you should really stop with such baseless claims.
Those have ALWAYS been design decisions.
So no, you don't know.
SSF is not and will never be a standard for balance, it is not for people entitled to getting more without trading.
Last edited by Fruz on Oct 21, 2018, 3:06:49 AM
Hm, the qualities of an ARPG as I see it, there may be other qualities necessary.

1. Very shallow story content with expanded lore available. This is important because an in depth story takes away from the action, while the optional lore can allow people to become immersed. Check.

2. Ability to fight massive amounts of monsters. While killing one strong monster might be a reasonable quest in many games, part of the fun of the ARPG is in being an unstoppable hero, or striving to be one. Check.

3. Fighting monsters and being rewarded with loot. Any ARPG hero can sustain himself only on monster drops, as adventuring is his trade. If anything is needed, he can buy it with his monster drops at the local vendor.

This is questionable. No reasonably good loot can be purchased from the vendors, and without a currency system, most of the items are sold at values that far exceed their worth -- possible exception is when a master loads a unique item, but this is not only rare but the uniques they offer are so varied that you probably don't need or want it.

This does improve bartering with other players, but most ARPGs can be played entirely single player. Path of Exile is no exception, but you have to adapt to your drops rather than being able to buy your way out of bad gear.

As far as monster drops go, they are numerous, but they are mostly garbage. This again, plays into the need to trade to get what you need.

4. Difficulty ramps with character progression. Most ARPGs constantly get harder to challenge your characters abilities. Path of Exile attempts to do this but offers many good builds and many bad builds. Bad builds with power creep can do most of the game content, but they have a much more difficult time of doing it than the good builds. So difficulty is almost entirely based on what the bad builds can accomplish, diluting the difficulty for everyone else. Basically, after a certain point the game stops being challenging.

My verdict: Still very much so an ARPG, although an imperfect one.
WAT
[Removed by Support]
"Your forum signature was removed as it was considered to be inappropriate and a breach of our Code of Conduct."

...it was quotes. from the forum. lolz!
"
Fruz wrote:
Spoiler
"
sofocle10000 wrote:
Stop it with the "spreading salt" @#$$%&*|. Thanks.

Some of us do prefer to be critical and offer feedback and suggestions on this area of the forum

I don't quite see why I would stop pointing out stuff, really.
You are not being critical, you are being emotional, period.

You don't like what PoE is becoming and you are getting bitter and bitter, we got it, but saying that it isn't an arpg anymore is .... something that I would qualify with adjectives I won't use because it could be considered needlessly negative by the moderation.

"
sofocle10000 wrote:
Applying a drawback regarding damage to projectiles that move offscreen should be a lot better than simply making all of them deal no damage whatsoever

Who suggested that here ?

"
sofocle10000 wrote:
if Chris stays true to his word

What word ?
Do you have anything else than baseless claims like this one ?

Max crit chance (that pretty much nobody is going for), and it's not "so easy" to reach, you seem to be very misinformed.
The investment is already something that balances, the scaling you can get from crit is a bit of a different story though.

"
sofocle10000 wrote:
I know, I know, the "technology wasn't there yet", but I bet that it is today, so they have no more excuses

Again, you should really stop with such baseless claims.
Those have ALWAYS been design decisions.
So no, you don't know.

I was and am always critical. If you don't like my harsh tone, I'm sorry, but I don't care. If I was more emotional, I would follow @I_NO way of posting, and that never happened for me yet.

I might sound harsher than needed regarding PoE's "genre", but that is simply because because it gets easier and easier to disregard any aspect of the RPG part and simply have a character that "works", heck, no matter the choices it becomes a literal GOD. That is the purpose of any reputable ARPG, heck even for H&S, but PoE suceeded in rendering progreszion null for a large part of the game - power creep dialed to 11 and centering it on trade have this adverse effect.

I did and do still play RPGs, ARPGs and even great H&S games (Deathspank anyone?), but to see PoE closing in too much to a "clicker" was and always is disheartening...

TencentGGG already use such a "projectiles don't apply any damage" mechaninc to invisible enemies, and I wouldn't enjoy for them to simply use that as tbe way to address offscreening, as there are better solutions to be employed.

Should I quote you regarding your apptitude to stay informed as you did in another thread to someone else, as I am in no way responsible of making your research for you? Besides you should have watched Baeclast Ep. 23 to underztand that the official TencentGGG stance is "you're not supposed to offscreen".

Sure, Crit requires investment, but reaching 50 - 60% crit chance without too many compromises and then slapping a Diamond flask is not than impossible these days.

Design decissions were always influenced by what was availavle and possible at that time. Beside having more technical optimisations and improvements, such mechanical design decissions that would be entirely in line with TencentGGG's expectations, should see the use as soon as possible. Sure, I might have been over-reaching regarding that "current availability" part, but I still think that they now have the capability to address the offscreen damage conundrum...
PSS: Our almighty TencentGGG overlords are very scrupulous regarding criticizing their abilities to take proper decisions and consider everything "needlessly harsh and condescending"...

Good to know "free speech" doesn't apply in any form or manner on the forums these days...
My skill level sucks, I need projectile love for my frostblades assassin. please don't take it away. Isn't the fact that I am horrible at the game enough?
"
sofocle10000 wrote:

I was and am always critical. If you don't like my harsh tone, I'm sorry, but I don't care.

I don't care, but seeing you systematically spread the same rant is pretty annoying, and it's anything but critical or pragmatic.
Probably because you don't even seem to be playing the game any more and you don't really know what is actually what.
Or maybe it's just because you don't like what PoE is becoming and are getting more and more bitter.

I think it's a mix of both.

"
sofocle10000 wrote:
Should I quote you regarding your apptitude to stay informed as you did in another thread to someone else, as I am in no way responsible of making your research for you?

You're the one complaining and suggesting poorly thought changes, I am in no need to do any research.

I might listen to the Baeclast, if I can be bothered to.

SSF is not and will never be a standard for balance, it is not for people entitled to getting more without trading.
"
Fruz wrote:
Spoiler
"
sofocle10000 wrote:

I was and am always critical. If you don't like my harsh tone, I'm sorry, but I don't care.

I don't care, but seeing you systematically spread the same rant is pretty annoying, and it's anything but critical or pragmatic.
Probably because you don't even seem to be playing the game any more and you don't really know what is actually what.
Or maybe it's just because you don't like what PoE is becoming and are getting more and more bitter.

I think it's a mix of both.

"
sofocle10000 wrote:
Should I quote you regarding your apptitude to stay informed as you did in another thread to someone else, as I am in no way responsible of making your research for you?

You're the one complaining and suggesting poorly thought changes, I am in no need to do any research.

I might listen to the Baeclast, if I can be bothered to.

OK, so discussing with you is pointless, consider yourself ignored. This will be my last response to you, as entertaining as our conversations were, you're not worthy of my time.

Besides, as you are entitled to your wrong opinions, so I am entitled to mine.

I still play PoE daily a lot more than most regular players, and I know what I want, TencentGGG "gitting gud" and actually doing it is another point exactly.

I don't suggest "poorly thought" changes and I offer feedback and suggestions on the relevant part of the forum. It's up to TencentGGG to act upon them. I could care less about your personal opinions, as you seem to always "hound" those that don't share your point of view.

Carry on with your "good work", as I will do with mine, and don't bother replying as you will not get a further answer.

PS: And do man up and get yourself informed first instead of accusing others. "Git gud" Fruz.
PSS: Our almighty TencentGGG overlords are very scrupulous regarding criticizing their abilities to take proper decisions and consider everything "needlessly harsh and condescending"...

Good to know "free speech" doesn't apply in any form or manner on the forums these days...
Last edited by sofocle10000 on Oct 21, 2018, 9:11:25 AM
You didn't get it, it's fine.
I was literally thinking of adding you to my ignore list, because there is no conversation, always seeing the same salt over and over again, in pretty much any thread.

edit : hahaha that Baeclast, I know it and I've seen it already, don't remember anything about off-screening mobs being unacceptable or anything, because they just don't consider it so I guess.
Last edited by Fruz on Oct 21, 2018, 10:37:58 AM
The effectiveness (or lack thereof) of ANY aspect, projectile or otherwise, has absolutely ZERO to do with "the technology not being there" - it has to to 100% with the DESIGN of the game mechanics. It's all formulaic - NOTHING "technical" about it. If they *wanted* to do things correctly, they would - it is NOT that they "couldn't".
"
The effectiveness (or lack thereof) of ANY aspect, projectile or otherwise, has absolutely ZERO to do with "the technology not being there" - it has to to 100% with the DESIGN of the game mechanics. It's all formulaic - NOTHING "technical" about it. If they *wanted* to do things correctly, they would - it is NOT that they "couldn't".

Yup, "far shot" and "point blank" are sufficient proof of that.
May your maps be bountiful, exile

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info