AoE vs Projectile

It has been quite some time since the AoE nerfs. I've been patiently waiting to see if projectiles would at some point be brought in line with nerfed AoE abilities in terms of clearing potential.

Of course we all know they haven't. Even before the AoE nerfs projectile skills were the bigger offender in terms of clearing 1-2 screens with one button press. AoE nerf made that gap even wider. And here we are 4 leagues later, without a change to that.

This may seem like an odd league to complain about this, since delves are tight quarters and fairly friendly to AoE skills (like consecrated path). But of course projectile skills are still good in delves, but far superior in mapping.

There are pseudo-AoE builds that try to get projectile-levels of screen clear by chaining herald explosions, or corpse explosions from inpulsa and the like. These do work, but only for a relatively small subset of builds (elementalists, mostly, sometimes assassins).

It is time to revisit and reconsider why you nerfed AoE in the first place.
Last bumped on Oct 21, 2018, 9:14:17 PM
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
"

Hahahaha, you really think they'll do that?

The _only_ reason they'll consider buffing AoE is when their precious statistics tell them nobody's playing it anymore for a (maybe) longer period of time.

I started this League with a Flameblast Totem Templar, because Hierophant is simply the best Asc for Totem (great variety of Asc choices :rolleyes:). The damage was the only good thing left of this skill.
The AoE is fucking mediocre. IAoE-gem and the nodes don't help at all and the difference is marginal at best. Futhermore this skill suffers from the delay between the build-up and the blast, because many other skills are instantaneous and don't have to wait before application.
Compare that to monster modifieres. Red AoE-mods are ~100% IAoE and you actually see the difference when the Phoenix makes her explosion or the Minotaur does an AoE Slam. However when you as the player invest into AoE you can clearly see you'd better spend the points or gems elsewhere.
It's also no wonder nobody's playing Flameblast atm. Just look at Ninja.

It's fascinating to see that when they nerf something, they not only nerf it, they stomp it so heavily into the ground that really nobody can do anything with the corpse anymore.
"

There wasnt any real reason behind AoE nerf. If they REALLY wanted to reduce "offscreening", AoE nerf should've come side by side with heavy projectile range nerf, as well as significant revamp of game mechanics...

GGG often perform changes in wrong way. They dont use math, they just throw random shit at us, players, so we'll have to plow weeds out of grains ourselves.
They turn certain skills, classes or playstyles into piles of garbage (such as Flameblast, Berserker, ES), just because they "shined" in past.
IGN: MortalKombat
Molten Strike build guide: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1346504

There is no knowledge
That is not power
ES is not garbage >.>
"
Johny_Snow wrote:
ES is not garbage >.>

Maybe w/o the clarity watchers eye :/
Trust your mind and strengthen your abilities!
"
MortalKombat3 wrote:
"

GGG often perform changes in wrong way. They dont use math, they just throw random shit at us, players, so we'll have to plow weeds out of grains ourselves.
They turn certain skills, classes or playstyles into piles of garbage (such as Flameblast, Berserker, ES), just because they "shined" in past.

Lol, ES isn't garbage at all, maybe you should be the one using maths ?

On topic, Blade Vortex being one of the strongest skills in the game makes me believe that AOE is really not that bad ( I've been playing an AOE build this league too ).
The fact that elemental hit seems so strong might make you feel that projectiles are significantly more popular atm though.
SSF is not and will never be a standard for balance, it is not for people entitled to getting more without trading.
Last edited by Fruz on Oct 19, 2018, 3:36:44 AM
"
Fruz wrote:

Equiping all BiS items? Maybe...

"
Fruz wrote:

On topic, Blade Vortex being one of the strongest skills in the game makes me believe that AOE is really not that bad ( I've been playing an AOE build this league too ).
The fact that elemental hit seems so strong might make you feel that projectiles are significantly more popular atm though.

BV is an OP skill itself, but it's just a SINGLE skill. Even for it, players dont try to invest much into AoE radius, because returns are minimal and arent worth efforts. That's what i meant. GGG literally destroyed a choice "dmg VS AoE radius". Now, radius isnt an option.
IGN: MortalKombat
Molten Strike build guide: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1346504

There is no knowledge
That is not power
"
MortalKombat3 wrote:
"
Fruz wrote:

Equiping all BiS items? Maybe...

No.

You should maybe play the game more rather than spreading misinformed things like this on the forum imho.

ES gearing has seldom been this easy, fossil farming add even new crafting options now.

"
MortalKombat3 wrote:

BV is an OP skill itself, but it's just a SINGLE skill. Even for it, players dont try to invest much into AoE radius, because returns are minimal and arent worth efforts. That's what i meant. GGG literally destroyed a choice "dmg VS AoE radius". Now, radius isnt an option.

I'm pretty sure that many ( if not most ) good BV builds take at least one of the AOE cluster.
In fact, if I check the 2 first BV users in HC Delve, they both take both cluster ( minus one node, still, if those clusters were only offering the dmg, they would not bother imo ).
SSF is not and will never be a standard for balance, it is not for people entitled to getting more without trading.
"
Fruz wrote:

Blade vortex is very strong if you want to clear tightly packed maps like toxic sewers all day. For any open map, you can clear dramatically faster with any number of projectile skills (but most often it is still tornado shot).
"
Fruz wrote:
I'm pretty sure that many ( if not most ) good BV builds take at least one of the AOE cluster.
In fact, if I check the 2 first BV users in HC Delve, they both take both cluster ( minus one node, still, if those clusters were only offering the dmg, they would not bother imo ).

Those nodes also scale herald AoE, which is the main way that BV builds get good clear-speed, because the AoE of BV itself is for shit.

Heralds / inpulsa / etc do allow builds with otherwise shit clearspeed attacks to actually clear quickly. But do we really want to be forced into herald or projectile builds in order to compete? Build variety is a good thing, and there doesn't seem to be any obvious reason for projectile skills to offer far greater built-in screen clearing than AoE skills.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info