[3.8] A CI/LL Tri-Curse Herald of Agony Occultist [Deathless Uber Elder, League Starter]

"
Holyjustice wrote:
I am thinking to use this build as a starter in the upcoming league, but I have one doubt that leveling with es gear can be pain in the ass (especially in a new league). Ofc, that is just an assumption, so I would like to learn if it is actually not a great problem or get an advice such as "yeah it is slow at the start of league". Otherwise, build seems really solid, cost efficient, it can also handle all content and being able to do almost all map modes is a bless. Thus, I want to thank the build creator, and wish all to have a blast in the league.

@ Holyjustice

I haven't played myself the build from the start, so I can not really give you advice for leveling.
However, Vatinas has written a long part about leveling in the Opening Post, so be sure to check this out. He has even considered both options : to level with life or to level directly with Energy Shield.
I am sure he will have additional comments for you.

I wish you as well the best in Betrayal League !
El_Pakito, was your friend running some really dangerous map mods, that something one shots 12k ehp?
"
dtx1212 wrote:
El_Pakito, was your friend running some really dangerous map mods, that something one shots 12k ehp?

Yeah, he tried to see the limits of the build, so it was a T15 Lava Lake with lots of increased monster damage.
Moreover, he had basic ES stuff at that time, so he was more in the range of 9k ES.

Though he was not one-shotted, he definitely had been 2 or 3-shotted so quickly that he could not react, thus preferred to always run "Temporal Chains" and do what TeosMaoMao said : take a map, Alchemy, Vaal Orb, go, no need to read the mods !
Hi, thanks for the cool build idea. I think I will start Betrayal with this build.

Apologies if it's in there somewhere in this guide, but I did not see any advice in which order should we pick the ascendency notables ?

Thanks in advance
Hey there!
New Player from Diablo here,

I would really like to start this as my first build. Excuse me if this has been answered.

Could you give me a basic breakdown on what i need in my chest for say a 5L and what I should put in my Quill rain as a 5L?

Im confused about the set up. From my understanding, my bow applies poison by utilizing rain of arrows and poison, summoning the crawler (agony). Then my curses are set up in my chest and they work by being proc'ed by curse on hit, but what skill is hitting them?

Bow - Rain of Arrows - Lesser poison - Herald of Agony - Pierce - Minion Damage - Minion Speed

(leveling sockets, This is a different set up then the end game you have im assuming that as you reach endgame and 6L your bow and chest you can move stuff around?)

Chest - Rain of arrows - Curse on hit - Enfeeble - Temp Chains - ??

There is 2 Rain of arrow gems that you toggle between the two? One to poison and start your crawler then one to apply curses that?

I appreciate anybody's help

"At level 16, you can equip Herald of Agony! You can equip your Quill Rain to use Rain of Arrows + Lesser Poison as well as your Herald of Agony + Pierce (+ Minion Damage/Minion Speed/etc.). The agony crawler will carry you all the way to the end game. At level 24, remember to grab Discipline.

As for curses, the order of priority is Projectile Weakness > Enfeeble > Temporal Chains. Projectile Weakness removes the need for a Pierce support gem, freeing a socket. To apply your curses, you can:
- Curse on hit with Rain of Arrows if you have the sockets (the priority is Rain of Arrows > Lesser poison/poison > Curse on hit > Curse gems).
- Self cast them if you don't."
"
mirage2k640 wrote:
Hi, thanks for the cool build idea. I think I will start Betrayal with this build.

Apologies if it's in there somewhere in this guide, but I did not see any advice in which order should we pick the ascendency notables ?

Thanks in advance

@ mirage2k640

Then again, I'm not an expert for the leveling part, but I would definitely go for :
1) Wicked Ward
2) Vile Bastion
3) Profane Bloom
4) Malediction

Vatinas may be able to confirm :-)
Last edited by El_Pakito on Dec 6, 2018, 11:02:45 AM
"
El_Pakito wrote:
"
mirage2k640 wrote:

Thanks in advance

@ mirage2k640

Then again, I'm not an expert for the leveling part, but I would definitely go for :
1) Wicked Ward
2) Vile Bastion
3) Profane Bloom
4) Malediction

Vatinas may be able to confirm :-)

Indeed, I confirm! If you have twink gear and already have more than enough ES, you can take Profane Bloom second to improve your clear, but if you're using this build as a league started and only have the ES gear you can find, the order above is definitely the best one.

"
crudebiome wrote:
Hey there!
New Player from Diablo here,

I would really like to start this as my first build. Excuse me if this has been answered.

Could you give me a basic breakdown on what i need in my chest for say a 5L and what I should put in my Quill rain as a 5L?

Im confused about the set up. From my understanding, my bow applies poison by utilizing rain of arrows and poison, summoning the crawler (agony). Then my curses are set up in my chest and they work by being proc'ed by curse on hit, but what skill is hitting them?

Bow - Rain of Arrows - Lesser poison - Herald of Agony - Pierce - Minion Damage - Minion Speed

(leveling sockets, This is a different set up then the end game you have im assuming that as you reach endgame and 6L your bow and chest you can move stuff around?)

Chest - Rain of arrows - Curse on hit - Enfeeble - Temp Chains - ??

There is 2 Rain of arrow gems that you toggle between the two? One to poison and start your crawler then one to apply curses that?

I appreciate anybody's help

"At level 16, you can equip Herald of Agony! You can equip your Quill Rain to use Rain of Arrows + Lesser Poison as well as your Herald of Agony + Pierce (+ Minion Damage/Minion Speed/etc.). The agony crawler will carry you all the way to the end game. At level 24, remember to grab Discipline.

As for curses, the order of priority is Projectile Weakness > Enfeeble > Temporal Chains. Projectile Weakness removes the need for a Pierce support gem, freeing a socket. To apply your curses, you can:
- Curse on hit with Rain of Arrows if you have the sockets (the priority is Rain of Arrows > Lesser poison/poison > Curse on hit > Curse gems).
- Self cast them if you don't."

Hey there! Welcome to the PoE community, it's nice to have you here :)

Here is how the build works: you have a buff, Herald of Agony, that grants you chance to poison on hit, and spawns a minion, the Crawler, when if you have poisoned enemies recently. We use Rain of Arrows, an attack, to poison enemies, thanks to the Herald of Agony buff and the gem Poison support. We also use Rain of Arrows as a way to curse enemies on hit, thanks to the Curse on Hit support.

Here is what you're looking for in the two major gem setups (bow and chest): one with Herald of Agony and damage-oriented support gems (Damage on Full Life, Minion Damage, Vile Toxins, Vicious projectiles, Added fire damage), and the other with Rain of Arrows supported by Poison Support, Curse on Hit, and whatever curses you are using right now.

More info on the gems, and the priority order for curses can be found in the "leveling" section and the "gems" section. :) Feel free to ask if you have another question!
Hello Vatinas and thank you for your build, it's the one I want to start the league with, looks fun and original + love occultist.

I got a question, at the start of the league the gems we need and we can't have atm do we buy it on poe trade or we can level with zombies and raging spirits until act 6 when we can buy all the gems ? + we need some currency to buy quill rain rapidly.. If you have some tips on how do you do please for some casual like me :D

"
Awà wrote:
Hello Vatinas and thank you for your build, it's the one I want to start the league with, looks fun and original + love occultist.

I got a question, at the start of the league the gems we need and we can't have atm do we buy it on poe trade or we can level with zombies and raging spirits until act 6 when we can buy all the gems ? + we need some currency to buy quill rain rapidly.. If you have some tips on how do you do please for some casual like me :D

Hi there! :)

If you really want to play with the Crawler as soon as act 2, you can ask in global for someone with the right class to buy them, but if you would rather play on your own and with what you find, you can definitely level with zombies/skellies/raging spirits until act 6! The leveling skill trees are unchanged, and are included in the PoB file.

As for Quill Rain, it's highly recommended because the attack speed helps you keep your virulence at its maximum stacks, but you can very easily play without it. Just grab a random bow, and you're set! Even a white bow will do, but if you can try to find one with some attack speed on it, it would be perfect. Plus, Quill Rain has always been very cheap, even early in the league, and since the most common user of Quill Rain, Toxic Rain/Caustic Arrow builds, have been nerfed, I think you'll be able to buy a Quill Rain very early in the league for very cheap.

Same thing for the quiver and the belt: Soul Strike and Bated Breath are 1) not necessary until very end game, they're just very useful, and 2) should be very cheap very early in the league. :)

I hope you have fun with the build! <3
Thanks a lot for your long reply well explained, will definitely level this char first !

GL&HF everyone.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info