[3.6] Tahreyn's 83/83 Block Herald of Agony Gladiator - Über Elder Viable

"
SuperBurgers wrote:
It's coming together well in flashback now, and I've managed to pick up all the key parts. Still haven't done red elder (he finally popped last night) but shaper guardians I did were easy enough. Level 81 Cortex popped and I won my first attempt, but I died 3 times to one shots where I was spinning and couldn't move in time.

I need 1% block on a jewel to max block and have Vorici sitting and waiting for intel to hopefully hit one of the blues as a white. A level 4 Enlighten would help a lot too when money permits but level 3 works decently at the moment.

After that what would be the best upgrade order? My jewels aren't linked but are mostly minion attack speed and moderate life, with a bit of dex as necessary. Red Nightmare too.

I think at this point it's just incremental upgrades - same but better? Or does something stand out?
Spoiler

I'd continue to keep on lookout for the elusive block+double socketed gems are supported by ... Gloves.

While doing that I'd also try to get two new rings with life gained on hit. You probably can sacrifice some resists on the rings by upgrading your belt.

I'd probably also put up a live search for good life+ double mod jewels and see if you can find a bargain.
Builds:
[3.6] 83/83 Block Herald of Agony Gladiator - Über Elder Viable
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2218039/
[3.1] SRS LL Auramancer in-depth guide
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1816896/
Thanks, yes those gloves are rare I haven't seen any lately. Same for jewels, maybe I need to widen my search.

Good news is Vorici hit so I can fit a level 4 empower as soon as I can afford it.

Do the extra life on hit rings help much? I don't feel like I need it mapping, but does it help for bosses?

I beat Shaper and it was a bit rougher than I'd hoped, but last time I used a Vortex occultist and that's easy mode. The cyclone is still a bit tricky and positioning was harder than I'd like. I feel like my attack speed is low too.

I'm sure I saw someone post a mapping vs boss build for gems. Something like minion speed and pierce for maps but swapping them out for bosses. Does anyone have the link or suggestions?
"
SuperBurgers wrote:

Do the extra life on hit rings help much? I don't feel like I need it mapping, but does it help for bosses?

I beat Shaper and it was a bit rougher than I'd hoped, but last time I used a Vortex occultist and that's easy mode. The cyclone is still a bit tricky and positioning was harder than I'd like. I feel like my attack speed is low too.

I'm sure I saw someone post a mapping vs boss build for gems. Something like minion speed and pierce for maps but swapping them out for bosses. Does anyone have the link or suggestions?

The extra LGoH will be noticable when there's only 1-2 targets around. While mapping you always hit large packs and that'll instantly top you up when you get hit, but for fewer targets then LGoH on rings will be nice. Increased attack speed will also increase your effective life gained / second.

The positioning with cyclone can take a while to get right. With the changes to cyclone coming up in 3.7. it looks like this will be solved, as you'll be able to spin in place and to abort it at any time. For now it's either getting used to positioning with cyclone as it currently is, or to use molten strike instead.

As for gem swaps. If possible I prefer to run with only 1 blue gem. In that case I may use Minion Speed for mapping and Minion Damage for end-game content. Pierce I prefer to always keep in the active links yet if you want to increase your single target for a boss fight, then you could try swapping it out for Vicious Projectiles.

Builds:
Last edited by Tahreyn on May 27, 2019, 5:34:59 PM
Right, thanks. That makes sense. I have both speed + damage right now, I think there's not much point putting Empower in until at least level 3.
"
SuperBurgers wrote:
Right, thanks. That makes sense. I have both speed + damage right now, I think there's not much point putting Empower in until at least level 3.

Maim is a good option for the red socket. A lvl 20 Maim should actually be better than a level 3 Empower.
Builds:
My second red is actually a white socket :^)

I sold a lucky solstice vigil so got the empower but had a lot of trouble on uber elder. The DPS just isn't there for me so I get a lot of degen which of course we can't block. Plenty of mistakes from me too but while everything up until now has been quite easy this fight seems a bit rough. I think I need more attack speed and possibly the life on hit you suggested. Or maybe Molten Strike would make it a bit easier, since I did get stuck in beams more than once due to cyclone.
First and foremost, I want to thank Tahreyn for his excellent 83/83 HoA build guide. I have only been playing POE for a year, but I followed about 8 build guides during that time. Each promised all content on a budget; each left me frustrated for one reason or another. This is the first guide that I followed that performed exactly as written. The rest of this post is a bit long, but the main point is that this build guide delivers.

Specifics
Spoiler

I started this league with an Arc Saboteur that promised all content and amazing clear speeds on a budget – even with the current nurfs. I limped to level 85 before switching to this build out of frustration. I started with a Tabula, which I believe was a huge advantage. Honestly, I leveled so quickly and moved through the Acts so effortlessly that I felt like I was cheating. The Tabula carried me up to T-5’s before I switched to a cheap 5 link with life and resistances. I used it until I saved enough for the cheapest Coming Calamity that I could afford; which carried me all the way to end game content. I never found a Lioneye’s Remorse with the rare maximum chance to block corruption; so technically, I ran an 82/82 HoA build – no regrets.

My biggest challenge with this build was balancing my gear - getting the right dexterity, resistances, and attributes as I leveled. If the build slows down or becomes squishy, it probably indicates time for better gear or passive tweaks. Do not be too concerned about the price of optimal gear. I spent more on gear than in previous leagues, but I also had more currency to spend because of this build. I easily leveled to 97, but I do not have the patience to strive for 100. One quick note about skill gems. For boss battles, I replaced Withering Touch with Culling Strike Support. As for the rest of my gems (except where noted by Tahreyn) they were level 20 with 20 quality. That made a big difference in my clear speed and survivability.

Mapping was a breeze. Yes, you really can run all map mods, but some require care (reduced chance to block) and others can be frustrating (temporal chains). However, being able to run reflect maps without any concern is really, really nice. As an added bonus, high level reflect maps can be acquired at a discount. With the exception of top tier maps, I dropped everything into the atlas without any concern for the mods. As for the clear speed, it was fine for me.

I used to be frustrated by incursions, but temples at the highest levels were effortless – all deathless. I avoided the Syndicate with my Saboteur, but this build enabled me to run with all the members at max rank. Delve dives? No problem. In fact, I jumped into side passages and blasted fractured walls while following the mine cart. No need to waste time by doubling back. My only Delve frustration was the inability to acquire enough Voltaxic Sulphite. Where is Niko when you need him? I have not attempted Uber Elder, but I regularly run Shaper’s Realm – mostly deathless, but I sometimes make mistakes.

Thanks again, Tahreyn, for putting together an excellent guide that is honest and easy to follow.

Gear
Spoiler

Not the best gear, but it gets the job done.

"
SuperBurgers wrote:
My second red is actually a white socket :^)

I sold a lucky solstice vigil so got the empower but had a lot of trouble on uber elder. The DPS just isn't there for me so I get a lot of degen which of course we can't block. Plenty of mistakes from me too but while everything up until now has been quite easy this fight seems a bit rough. I think I need more attack speed and possibly the life on hit you suggested. Or maybe Molten Strike would make it a bit easier, since I did get stuck in beams more than once due to cyclone.

I checked over your char again and noticed a thing. I think that you probably should replace Withering Touch with Faster Attacks in your cyclone setup. WT is a good 6th link as it provides some bonus damage but Faster Attacks should make you generate more reliable stacks of virulence on single targets, increase your LGoH, and possibly make cyclone feel better for you too. If you can manage to find a pair of gloves with block + poison + FA then you can put back WT, but until then I believe that you should swap to Faster Attacks.

"
jefftea17 wrote:
First and foremost, I want to thank Tahreyn for his excellent 83/83 HoA build guide. I have only been playing POE for a year, but I followed about 8 build guides during that time. Each promised all content on a budget; each left me frustrated for one reason or another. This is the first guide that I followed that performed exactly as written. The rest of this post is a bit long, but the main point is that this build guide delivers.

Specifics
Spoiler

I started this league with an Arc Saboteur that promised all content and amazing clear speeds on a budget – even with the current nurfs. I limped to level 85 before switching to this build out of frustration. I started with a Tabula, which I believe was a huge advantage. Honestly, I leveled so quickly and moved through the Acts so effortlessly that I felt like I was cheating. The Tabula carried me up to T-5’s before I switched to a cheap 5 link with life and resistances. I used it until I saved enough for the cheapest Coming Calamity that I could afford; which carried me all the way to end game content. I never found a Lioneye’s Remorse with the rare maximum chance to block corruption; so technically, I ran an 82/82 HoA build – no regrets.

My biggest challenge with this build was balancing my gear - getting the right dexterity, resistances, and attributes as I leveled. If the build slows down or becomes squishy, it probably indicates time for better gear or passive tweaks. Do not be too concerned about the price of optimal gear. I spent more on gear than in previous leagues, but I also had more currency to spend because of this build. I easily leveled to 97, but I do not have the patience to strive for 100. One quick note about skill gems. For boss battles, I replaced Withering Touch with Culling Strike Support. As for the rest of my gems (except where noted by Tahreyn) they were level 20 with 20 quality. That made a big difference in my clear speed and survivability.

Mapping was a breeze. Yes, you really can run all map mods, but some require care (reduced chance to block) and others can be frustrating (temporal chains). However, being able to run reflect maps without any concern is really, really nice. As an added bonus, high level reflect maps can be acquired at a discount. With the exception of top tier maps, I dropped everything into the atlas without any concern for the mods. As for the clear speed, it was fine for me.

I used to be frustrated by incursions, but temples at the highest levels were effortless – all deathless. I avoided the Syndicate with my Saboteur, but this build enabled me to run with all the members at max rank. Delve dives? No problem. In fact, I jumped into side passages and blasted fractured walls while following the mine cart. No need to waste time by doubling back. My only Delve frustration was the inability to acquire enough Voltaxic Sulphite. Where is Niko when you need him? I have not attempted Uber Elder, but I regularly run Shaper’s Realm – mostly deathless, but I sometimes make mistakes.

Thanks again, Tahreyn, for putting together an excellent guide that is honest and easy to follow.

Gear
Spoiler

Not the best gear, but it gets the job done.

You are most welcome! I'm glad that you found my guide honest and that you finally found a build that worked out great for you :) And don't worry about not having the patience to push it to 100, it took me 6 years before I finally managed to get my first level 100 character =P

Did you try out using a utility flask with the "of Warding" affix to get curse immunity? While you sometimes might run out of flask charges it actually makes Temporal Chains maps quite smooth to run.

While I in some ways love that you didn't mention anything negative with the guide ;) I am curious if you thought of anything that I should try to make clearer, add, or perhaps remove in order to improve the guide?
Builds:
"
Tahreyn wrote:

I checked over your char again and noticed a thing. I think that you probably should replace Withering Touch with Faster Attacks in your cyclone setup

Not a bad idea I might try, though for now I'll skip Uber Elder. I think cyclone just doesn't suit me there :) I find it very hard to see the ground degen so it's an annoying fight for me if I don't have very high DPS and movement control.

You asked the other poster about the guide, I think it is great too. I just see some minor things missing that I've seen in other guides, so up to you if you think they are important.

1) Providing example trade site search links can help.
2) Crafting guides for gear - in this case it seems to be mostly fossil crafting and we have one example in the tips and some more in the comments but these are always helpful for newer players.
3) Priority on 20 quality (and which we can skip) and 21/20 gems. Can be discovered by looking through the stats but saving time is nice.
Last edited by SuperBurgers on May 28, 2019, 10:25:21 PM
"
Tahreyn wrote:
While I in some ways love that you didn't mention anything negative with the guide ;) I am curious if you thought of anything that I should try to make clearer, add, or perhaps remove in order to improve the guide?

I cannot think of anything to add to your guide. Whenever I had questions I would re-read the guide and search for anything that I might have overlooked. The "Gear Priorities" section helped me to set goals and stay focused. It all worked out great for me.

Thanks again!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info