Finally Did it!....And, no, I don't play the game normally.

"
ChzBoi wrote:
First SSFHC league ever - I finally succeeded in getting one of every character class to Sarn without dying!

....of course, this is under my insane game play rules....and I am a awful player... but I did it! So happy!!

Next : break my personal record of level 40 for a non-Oni wielding character. May the RNG smile upon me.

Congrats...

Very cool... XD
34pre98qua
"
ChzBoi wrote:
"
Ceri wrote:
Keep us posted, will you? I'd love to hear from you again once you've progressed.

Well, for the 2 1/2 people who might find it interesting (!) here is my Betrayal update.

SUMMARY : got all 7 classes again to Sarn! But what a slog. Yes, I did all Betrayal content, that was capable of doing. {notes below} The secret this time around was pretty much the secret all the time - get lucky, use zombies/skellies/etc as distractions, if available. ALL deaths that happened were due to Betrayal content, which was neither surprising nor unexpected.

TEMPLAR - Sarn @ level 27 :: No Deaths! I was surprised by this attempt with the Templar. I don't consider myself very proficient with him. However, the RNG was lucky and I had 'smooth' sailing through to Sarn. He was the first to get there, which gave me hope for the rest. One unique (Nomics Storm boots).

WITCH - Death @ 25, Sarn @ 27 :: The witch, being my most preferred class, had one death. Total blame on my overconfidence : ran into a fort, tried to watch a football game. Dead. Lesson learned. No unique items.

SHADOW - Death @22, Sarn @26 :: Did well with Shadow once a lucky RNG gave him a skelly gem on the 2nd time around. Also got 2 unique items (Wildslash, Goredrill) which made things a bit more fun!

MARAUDER - Death @ 22, Sarn @ 26 :: My Marauder took a bit longer as the RNG waited until the 2nd half of Act2 to smile on him. Once a good hatchet dropped and a zombie gem fell - things got easier. Two unique items (Screaming Eagle hatchet, Ondar's mitts).

SCION - Death @ 19, Death @ 16, Sarn @ 27 :: So, things started to sour with my scion. Not that great luck on the first 2 attempts and Betrayal mobs just toated her at each fort, caravan, etc. Lots of running away, going back, repeat. So, on my 3rd attempt I had found 2 LifeSprig wands and decided to try a zombie/spark run. Worked much better! 2 unique items (Lifesprig wands).

RANGER - Death @ 16, Death @ 14, Sarn @ 25 :: This went so bad the first two times, I had to skip some Betrayal content - her gear just could not do enough damage or defend enough damage against those mobs. Got frustrating on the 3rd time through, then the RNG smiled yet again and 4 unique itemswere available! Sarn was finally in sight! Four unique items (Roths Reach bow, Craghead quiver, Fairgraves Tricorne, Nomics Storm boots).

DUELIST - Death @ 22, Death @ 26, Death @ 26, Death @ 22, Sarn @ 26 :: Oh my. This was painful. My poor duelist was so unlucky. Nothing would drop. Betrayal mobs just toasted him. I played poorly. I almost gave up when on the 3rd attempt, just after beating Oversoul, I left the pyramid and there was a triangle shaped Betrayal fort, with the door about a foot from the cliff walls. I started and was just getting destroyed.....so I ran for the Sarn entrance on the dock. About 10 steps from the whiteout of freedom, a Betrayal mob, who chased me the whole way, got me. Argh. Anyway, on my 5th attempt I went with the melee/range build, due to unique items that dropped and finally made it! Three unique items(Ungil's knife, Wanderlust shoes, Hyrri's quiver).

So, that's my Betrayal life so far. I understand it's not content for a person who plays like me. It's interesting, but can be way hard for my play rules. I should probably ask some of the crafting experts for advice - I probably could make some useful items if I understood crafting better! Anyway, probably go and practice some Spine2d for work and play some Neverwinter - gotta decompress a bit. :-)
I wish there were more sections in Acts 2 through 10 where you could magically farm a cool 6-link like that for the sake of the accomplishment. Like farming another boss in Act 2 for a 6 link armor (not tabula) or another 6 linked weapon.

Just the added challenge.

Hats off to the you for such a motivational post. I feel super silly about dying so much in the maps. Now I think this will give me a NEW approach to playing.

Thank you!
"
KyliaGypsy wrote:

Hats off to the you for such a motivational post. I feel super silly about dying so much in the maps. Now I think this will give me a NEW approach to playing.

Thank you!

You're welcome and thanks for the kind words. Remember, the way I play/my rules are possibly not the SMARTEST approach but it is a NEW approach. :-)
ok...a Post-Betrayal entry in my continuing saga of insanity.

So, after making to Sarn on all the classes, I decided to stop for a bit. After my break, I decided that I should try to see how far I could get, as I've never tried to go past Sarn under my goofy rules. I made the cowardly decision that Betrayal encounters had to be avoided - they were much to strong for my rules. I made the decision that if I could get them into their lab, I could then happily avoid them! That said, I still played under my 'normal' rules : SSF,clear maps, no skill tree, etc.

The Ugly, The Bad, The Good:

UGLY - Templar(27.8),Scion(27.5),Shadow(26.9),Marauder(26.6) - all 4 died on the way to the Crematorium/Tolman, via a Betrayal encounter. It seemed to me that the difficulty ramped up....and the luck ramped down! Just plain ugly for these 4.

BAD(1) - Duelist(28.4) - I was so upset by this one. Got Betrayal into a lab and made it to the Markeplace. Gear was good and I was playing ok. Then I got into the Marceus fight and I forgot how to play, for some reason. Pressed the wrong flask, hit the wrong attack, ran the wrong way (into a wall?!?), and death came quickly....and deservedly! Stupid play on my part.

BAD(2) - Ranger(34.5) - Again, got Betrayal into their lab so I could just play. Things went well, Piety was ok, and only a few close shaves. Then I got to the Upper Sceptre, was getting excited for the Dominus fight, when a Vaal side area popped up. Having to follow my rules, I had to try it. For some reason, I stayed in melee range against Wiraq, The Impaler. Defeated. More dumb play my me.

GOOD - Witch(38.8) - What fun! Made it to Highgate! Sweetness! So, again, got Betrayal into the lab early and then just played. Gear drops were good and I was rolling along. Piety was a breeze and all went well to Dominus. I fully expected to get toasted on a 'Touch of God' or something from him, but all went well. On to Highgate, where things went fine as well. At this point, I was just glad I got this far. But,alas, all good things come to an end . Made it to Kaom's Dream and the going was fine. I knew that those damn totems (Torchoak Grove?) were there somewhere, so was being careful. However, I ran down some steps and off screen came streams of fireballs. It was a quick death, but no regrets!

My takeaway from this round : Betrayal was doable to Sarn, much harder from there, but nice to have the option to put them in their lab. I totally feel I could get to Malachai, with some lucky drops.....and if I pay attention. Not sure I could survive his fight, but willing to try. Next up : Synthesis!
So, again, for those who might find it interesting (?), here is my Synthesis update. All 7 to Sarn again!! :-)

Clearly Synthesis is the antithesis of my play style; which is slow and steady (and boring). After keeping track (cause that's what I do!), about 72% of the zone memory fragments I entered on my characters failed - due to either 1) overtaken by the decay or 2) the decay ate one of the goals while I was busy trying to clear. I stopped trying the actual Memory Nexus after my 1st 2 witches died at the first platform of the first map (explained below). Overall Synthesis was, for me, interesting but nothing to get too excited about. The 'speed play requirement' is not my thing.....but that's just me! I did try the '3 item synthesizer' thingy whenever I got 3 items, but the obscure rules as to what types of items can/can't be used still perplexes me. (Is it a item name thing or item unit size thing or item quality thing or ??) That being said, a few of the items I did get, in zone memory fragments I did, were pretty cool and good for leveling - no complaints there!

WITCH - Death @ 8, Death @ 13, Sarn @ 27 :: As I always seem to start with the Witch class, this was my first try at the Synthesis content. So the first 2 deaths I had were in the actual nexus. Both times I placed a memory, clicked, bridge came out, I went in....and....memories of Incursion : 20+ projectiles off screen followed by defeat. After that I just placed pieces on the map (for all classes really) and just played. I still tried every fragment, just avoided the nexus.

RANGER - Death @ 10, Death @ 14 : SCION - Death @ 14, Death @ 13 : MARAUDER - Death @ 14 :: All Sarn @ 27ish :: Everyone of these deaths was in a memory fragment where I got caught in the slow and was overpowered. Again, was learning the ropes and failed a few times. Such is the POE life.

DUELIST - Death @ 21, Sarn @ 27 :: So annoyed, as I died to a beastie capture on an Einhar hunt. Was doing well but got separated from the BeastMan himself and got toasted by a red beastie. Die and learn.

SHADOW and TEMPLAR - Sarn @ 26/28 :: Got some really good drops/RNG and was able to make it to Sarn. All good with these 2.

Again, the secret to my playstyle is getting minons. My Shadow and Duelist got zombie gems and my Marauder got a skeleton gem, which helps out so much.

Side Note Question :: how many unique items are there that can drop in Act1? I seem to get the same 4 or 5 over and over again. (And if my Marauder get another Lifesprig wand....!!)

That sums up my Synthesis so far..not my 'cup-o-tea' but nothing horrible....I probably will not be able to play much again before the league ends, but if I can, I"ll push on as best I can. I'm making more proof that the game 'can' be played like an idiot and one can still have fun!
"
鬼殺し wrote:
Damn you're fucking crazy. <3.

..... we have high ilevel low level base uniques (only in PoE am I forced to violate the English language like that) ....

Ha! And you think I'm crazy?!?

Thanks for looking - I can honestly say, in all the time I've been playing and all the Act1's I've gone through - I only have 1 Shiversting.

The RNG hates us.

And do it with your Oni - I've done it 3 times in the past - it's excitable fun! :-)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info