Finally Did it!....And, no, I don't play the game normally.

What a pleasant post. :)

You remind me of that wonderful guy in World of Warcraft, Doubleagent, who remains on the Pandaren starting island and picks flowers all the way to level cap. The rationale is that he doesn't want to pick a faction, which is required to leave the island. So he's stuck in a level 1-7 zone, where the only XP available to him is basically picking flowers and digging for ore. If you don't know WoW enough to realize how insane of a grind that is, rest assured it is absolutely bonkers and then some. Probably equivalent to leveling to 100 in act 1.

Well, I digress.

Love the self-imposed restrictions, even though I don't fully grasp the reasoning behind ignoring the skill tree but hey - it's your game. :)

Keep us posted, will you? I'd love to hear from you again once you've progressed.
"
Ceri wrote:

You remind me of that wonderful guy in World of Warcraft, Doubleagent, who remains on the Pandaren starting island and picks flowers all the way to level cap.

I bet his wife loves him very much. Just think of all the good karma he has accumulated giving those flowers.

Fancy meals for him every night i'm sure.

Peace,

-Boem-
Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes
"
Boem wrote:
"
Ceri wrote:

You remind me of that wonderful guy in World of Warcraft, Doubleagent, who remains on the Pandaren starting island and picks flowers all the way to level cap.

I bet his wife loves him very much. Just think of all the good karma he has accumulated giving those flowers.

Fancy meals for him every night i'm sure.

Peace,

-Boem-

"Meals" im sure. And envy. ;)
"
how exactly did you react upon seeing that sword, and then learning how to obtain it?

well, I first reacted by saying, "Finally! Somebody gets how I play and is rewarding me!" :-) I then read the stats, which made perfect sense to my play style/rules. Then I tried to plan out how to play it : I've never had a 6 socket, let alone a six link, item before, that wasn't a tabla. (and I only have one of those) So I spent some time thinking about each class, at low levels, with a 6 link.

Now, after reading your comment above, I am shocked that you didn't make it specifically for a player like me! Dang! :-p

As far as obtaining the sword, well, my thoughts are : if players have to grind for levels in the 'end game', endlessly repeating maps with no story arcs, the least I can do is grind for a few hours to get a darn cool unique. I will never see any other cool unique items, so for me, it's the one I can get. And I can get it with a lot less grind then it takes to get: 40 challenges, level 100, etc. And to top it off - it's guaranteed.

"
play fully zoomed in
I actually had that as one of my rules for pure melee characters. But it makes me nauseous, thus why I don't do FPS anymore. But when I did it, it WAS a glorious ride!

The fact that the game allows me to play, in this wacky way, is very cool; in my opinion. They could easily force skill tree point use, or gate levels by assigned points. But they don't, so, lucky me!

And they could add : players who reach X amount of un-used skill points could trade them in for, say, the ability to ignore all gear requirements for Int/Dex/Str on a single stat. That alone would let me get a little closer to Piety!!
This has been one of my favorite threads to read. I don't have all of the same rules for my play, but I self-impose solo play and no trading. I currently have 1 oni (post nerf only). I have two standard league chars and one incursion league char currently farming the strand for more.
"
...And I just realised you haven't even heard a third of her voicelines. Wow.

I have a couple of higher level SC characters that have heard more of the lines, but yeah, kinda wish I played higher to hear your work! And don't send me a link to some wiki that has all the lines - I want the surprise!!

"
This has been one of my favorite threads to read

That's good to hear. I think it's about making choices - I can't hoard everything. I have to decided if that extra DEX I need for my gems is worth losing 10% cold resists. Etc.

And honestly, using Oni makes it seem too easy! :-p
woah that's are a few extreme rules... but it remembers me on my own old Diablo II days...

Did with a group of friends whole story fully naked and managed to Kill Diablo / Ball and after alot of Baalruns we finally tried Uber tristram and thank god we got a necro XD
30 Shores with Double Pack / Breach / Max Sextants https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2006424/page/1
First Selfmade Build as Sparker ( MF ) https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1637690
1 Million Tool Tip Dps Sparker https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1761162

Your "Charan's Sword" is a great design. The choice to make it a beginning grind is also great (although how this was ever figured out is still a mystery to me, meaning I'd never just grind the beach over and over and never advance that build into Lioneye's Watch). The major flaw is as always the extreme wild ranges of RNG as implemented by GGG. For example, I have 3 Oni swords from Bestiary:
Here's one sword farmer reaching level 9 on The Twilight Strand Beach:
Spoiler

Oh the pain, and then at 2% uber Hillock finally showed up:

On a 3 exile rotation so that time x 3 for total grind time... OUCH!

Then this league after making a 4 exile rotation (in a moment of insanity as I swore back last league after 2 swords coming after reaching level 9 and the 3rd at level 8.8 I'd never do that again but got bored running endgame maps and incursions) this happened last Saturday:
Spoiler

Just over 2 hours to get uber Hillock + another 10 minutes to kill him because it is a Shadow and I had to face tank Hillock among an army of his zombie minions (another OUCH).

A final OUCH for getting a poor roll on the crit chance.

The other 3 Oni farmers are now level 8 25% with no other uber Hillock encounter so I now know that getting uber Hillock this early was extremely good luck. So even though putting the grind for the sword at the beginning instead of the endgame is a great choice the wild range of the rng makes it a super frustration as to when uber Hillock will show up. This is typical GGG "working as intended" thinking with the use of rng... SIGH!

"You've got to grind, grind, grind at that grindstone..."
Necessity may be the mother of invention, but poor QoP in PoE is the father of frustration.

The perfect solution to fix Trade Chat:
www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2247070
it's sad that ggg gave up on custom leagues which would have enabled selectable, self imposed difficulty on groups of people.

they likely saw no market for it but with people finishinga league faster and faster there maybe is one in the future.
"
But if you don't play endgame, what's grinding the Twilight Strand for a few days, really?

Yeppers....and then, after obtaining it under my goofy rules, I will get a new set of challenges to do (how to use, how far can I go now, which class can use it the 'best', etc). Not sure if the current repetitive mapping end-game would provide new challenges with an Oni, as I am ignorant of mapping in general.

I will assume that Oni doesn't acquire new negative mods at high levels, correct? I've not read anything that says so........maybe it should! :-)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info