Sony servers are restarting in:
They should be back up in approximately .

Path of exile is a free to play?

"
SudianX wrote:
"
sarannah101 wrote:
Yup, still free to play!

Just because there is incentive to spend money, does not mean it is not free to play.

This sounds just like the logic that justifies MTX that increases experience gain or increases quality or quantity of loots.

I remember once upon a time GGG claiming they did not want to become pay-to-win. But I suppose that is still a type of "free to play."

That makes the game P2W - a stigma most F2P games had before PoE came around; they were still F2P, and so is PoE, depending on your patience.
As 鬼殺し said, it's a real hassle to play the game with only the 4 tabs, but it's possible when you use mule characters/ accounts. You can also use acquisition for relatively easy trading without a premium tab - or you play SSF, so you can't trade; but SSF is a lot easier with a few more stash tabs, to be honest.
Bird lover of Wraeclast
Las estrellas te iluminan - Hoy te sirven de guía
Te sientes tan fuerte que piensas - que nadie te puede tocar
this thread is lol

first dont collect junk
focus on what you really need to keep up
1 tab for currency+maps
1 tab for chaos recipe
1 tab for valuable stuff
1 tab for cards/essence/frags/shits like dat

no need more.
almost all my 30 tabs are empty in league
standard is when the league suck
get good
Glowing green mouse cursor plz.
The only purpose of this topic is to spam us with advertisement of himself:
"
drakgoku wrote:
https://www.twitch.tv/%spamlink%
retired from forum because of censorship and discrimination
This question gets tossed around every three months or so, and never gets resolved because people have different meanings for "play" "free to play" "pay to win" and pretty much any other term involved in the discussion.

It's free to download. No one will argue with that.

You can create an account and create characters and progress through the game collecting items for killing monsters. There's an argument here about what I mean by "progress" because at some point you'll run out of stash space while you're progressing. At that point you'll have to decide if it's worth it to you to pay for additional stash space.

Then the differences in player's meaning of "play" start coming in and screwing up the whole thing. There are playstyles that simply need more storage than is provided... many would say the majority of playstyles do. So the game becomes "pay to play" for them... not really "pay to win"... just pay to participate in the game at the level they expect to. Spending $60 USD isn't unusual for storage at all, but if you spend $600 on storage alone you're wasting your money... you get no real advantage after a while. Thus people argue that it's not "pay to win". There's no reason to keep paying after your buy in other than making your character look shiny and pimped out.

I would warn any new player that they should expect to want to pay about $50-100 on the game. People spend way more than that... but not to gain an advantage over those that only spent that much.
"
SudianX wrote:
"
sarannah101 wrote:
Yup, still free to play!

Just because there is incentive to spend money, does not mean it is not free to play.

This sounds just like the logic that justifies MTX that increases experience gain or increases quality or quantity of loots.

I remember once upon a time GGG claiming they did not want to become pay-to-win. But I suppose that is still a type of "free to play."

There is no type of free to play, the game is entirely free. The examples you name would actually make the game pay2win, still would be free to play though ironically.

For me two things would be bad: Pay2win and "fake" free to play. (Fake free to play being forced to buy something to be able to play something/somewhere in the game.) Both of these would chase me away REAL fast.
"
Shagsbeard wrote:
This question gets tossed around every three months or so, and never gets resolved because people have different meanings for "play" "free to play" "pay to win" and pretty much any other term involved in the discussion.

It's free to download. No one will argue with that.

You can create an account and create characters and progress through the game collecting items for killing monsters. There's an argument here about what I mean by "progress" because at some point you'll run out of stash space while you're progressing...

You'll only run out of conveniently available stash space. Muling is an option.
Bird lover of Wraeclast
Las estrellas te iluminan - Hoy te sirven de guía
Te sientes tan fuerte que piensas - que nadie te puede tocar
Yep. All this has been pointed out 100s of times. That's why I said "You'll likely want to" instead of "GGG is forcing you to". Pretty much the same meaning, but stated with a different bias. You can stoke this fight all you want, but it's pretty boring when it comes down to it.

"
鬼殺し wrote:
You say jaded, I say the scales have fallen from my eyes at last. Potato, tomato.

But I would say I felt this way long before recent events. I twitched when Chris said that about Mappers being essentially GGG's bitches. I twitched even harder when he said that PoE should be a game you can play while watching TV. Like, what a kick in the dick that was, as a big supporter, to hear that they'd implicitly given up trying to make the game tactically engaging. And the stash tab thing? I don't think I ever saw the game as truly playable on 4 stash tabs alone. I tried multi-clienting once, just to see. I HATED IT.

There comes a point where a game makes something so ridiculously unpleasant in its free form that pretty much everyone chooses the sanely-priced paid solution. And for the record, I do think $100 for PoE and $50 a year is good value. Very good value. And you can absolutely get by on that.

But that's not the point here. The question was, is the game free to play? That comes down to your definition of 'the game', or rather the most popular definition. The enduring definition.

And my response is, no. It's not. The walls might be slightly less obvious than a game where you have to pay to unlock areas (they're rare now) or where your relative power levels as a free player are woeful compared to a paid player...but there are walls. Long ones. You can trudge around them but no one who doesn't have to will. And the pricetag to just remove said walls is, as said, fairly sane.

I've definitely been making that argument for much longer than a month or two. :P

yawn, no one cares anymore
"You want it to be one way, but it's the other way"
You have 25 free character spaces, each of which have an inventory of their own. Play smart.
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/artcrusader
"
The only purpose of this topic is to spam us with advertisement of himself:
"
drakgoku wrote:
https://www.twitch.tv/%spamlink%

Very true - albeit it just gives me more reason not to visit a twitch stream I wouldn't have stumbled upon anyway.

"
Shagsbeard wrote:
Yep. All this has been pointed out 100s of times. That's why I said "You'll likely want to" instead of "GGG is forcing you to". Pretty much the same meaning, but stated with a different bias. You can stoke this fight all you want, but it's pretty boring when it comes down to it.

I mean, I get why people want to say it's not f2p with the mapping system designed to entice you to buy tabs. But the reality is that you can get into endgame without a single tab purchase and you can trade in the system without using public tabs - it's inconvenient but still possible.
Yep, totally over league play.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info