How would an auction house be worse exactly?

"
Phrazz wrote:
"
kuciol wrote:

In my eyes: Trade is the most powerful tool in PoE. It can make the game easy mode. Why shouldn't a tool like this require some effort?

Yes, make us run Uber lab and kill 10 UBER IZAROS just to trade with a player... if its the most powerful tool, it has to be the hardness to get too.
"
Question2 wrote:

Its a shitty meme. This is why :

- Almost every RPG is about leveling your character and getting end game gear to do end game content. Almost every online RPG has an auction house and it hasnt "ruined" them...if anything, it has helped increase the playerbase.

- The argument that bots would exploit the AH is silly because bots exploit ANYTHING. They exploit farming maps for currency. Conclusion : We must remove the ability to farm maps from the game so that actual players wouldnt be able to do it either. See the problem?

- An AH doesnt make it easier to obtain good gear...it makes it easier to TRADE...there is a huge difference. You want to make it harder to obtain good gear? Nerf drop rates, remove MF from the game, etc. That would actually limit the amount of good gear entering the economy. An AH just removes price fixers and people who never reply to whispers.

- The economy is reset every 3 months anyway and standard is a ghost town full of price fixers and troll listings (my min roll misprescence has been listed for more than a month and nobody wants it, I will refuse to lower the price because I love the idea of not selling it!). There were less than five shaped orchard maps listed in standard after flashback ended. Pretty much impossible to buy shaped maps in any sizable quantity there.

The real reaosn is this : Most online RPGs add new content regularly so that players have more goals to work towards to even if they have end game stats/gear. GGG does pretty much the exact opposite...they wipe the economy every 3 months with "leagues" that dont introduce new content, just side content. Instead of introducing better gear, tougher bosses and higher tier maps, they wipe, force you to start over, and grind the story/masters/atlas all over again. This is obviously way easier than introducing higher level content or higher level gear.

If GGG added higher level content regularly (like, you know, most online RPGs), players would always have something to work towards to even if there were no forced wipes. But thats obviously harder than wiping the economy every 3 months.

And the reason why inflation is such a huge problem every league is because the currency sinks are unattractive to most of the playerbase. Ask your average, casual player, whether they would rather sit in their hideout for hours alt spamming to try and craft something, or go kill mobs, and guess which answer they will choose.

You can see why inflation is so high in Incursion : Because chaos sinks are unattractive with poor zana mods. If currency sinks were more attractive, this wouldnt be a problem.

I couldnt say it better!
IGN: MortalKombat
Molten Strike build guide: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1346504

There is no knowledge
That is not power
"
bordillo wrote:
Even if it was for maps and currency items, how exactly would that make the game worse than it is today?

There is no sun under which an auction house would not SHINE
Think of it as this, i currently have about 75 exalts in ISC. I can buyout all the wanderlusts and goldrims on the market below a certain treshold and increase the market value by ease. Even if someone posts anotther item below that value, im certain i can earn more currency than unique inflows. How are you supposed to counter that then? And im just a small member of a community, there are people with over a thousand exalts in their hands. What will happen when they manipulate high tier items in the same way? I dont think ah is a solution with this small of a community. It might be okay with 10 times more playerbase in the future but im sure it will ruin some peoples experience even further.
All of you are so sure that AH would be great and yet you cant provide a single instance when it didnt destroy games economy. After checking top 50 mmos i can assure you that every single one of them has topics on their forums regarding "fixing economy". This info is available to anyone so you can check.
its pretty obvious why an auction house would be worse for the game. BOTTERS... everything would be 1 alt.
Then the game becomes like the Diablo auction house sim where u spend 5 hopurs leveling 5 hours on the auction house and your endgame ready.

Zana should be improved for purchasing maps directly especially white and yellows. People should not be able to list things like currency if they dont have the stock.
#StandardLivesMatter
"
Lamb0fGod wrote:
Think of it as this, i currently have about 75 exalts in ISC. I can buyout all the wanderlusts and goldrims on the market below a certain treshold and increase the market value by ease. Even if someone posts anotther item below that value, im certain i can earn more currency than unique inflows. How are you supposed to counter that then? And im just a small member of a community, there are people with over a thousand exalts in their hands. What will happen when they manipulate high tier items in the same way? I dont think ah is a solution with this small of a community. It might be okay with 10 times more playerbase in the future but im sure it will ruin some peoples experience even further.

As if someone cares about crap like Goldrim...

"
theoc86 wrote:
its pretty obvious why an auction house would be worse for the game. BOTTERS... everything would be 1 alt.
Then the game becomes like the Diablo auction house sim where u spend 5 hopurs leveling 5 hours on the auction house and your endgame ready.

Zana should be improved for purchasing maps directly especially white and yellows. People should not be able to list things like currency if they dont have the stock.

Bots exploit eveything, with AH, or without... Maybe, let's just remove drops from the game, just because bots can farm too? Wrong logic...
IGN: MortalKombat
Molten Strike build guide: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1346504

There is no knowledge
That is not power
Last edited by MortalKombat3 on Jun 18, 2018, 7:16:32 AM
"
Shagsbeard wrote:
The game to many of us is about finding items. If they wanted to maintain any semblance of an economy, they would have to restrict drops much more severely and those that chose not to participate in trade wouldn't find the game fun any more.

But those who chose not to participate in trading wouldn't be affected and those who do already trade freely without restrictions. An action house wouldn't necessarily need any significant nerf to drop rated, god knows it's low already. I have maybe 500 hours in this game and found, literally, four Exalts.
Going outside is highly overrated
-Anorak's Almanac. Chapter 17, Verse 32
"
Question2 wrote:
Almost every RPG is about leveling your character and getting end game gear to do end game content. Almost every online RPG has an auction house and it hasnt "ruined" them...if anything, it has helped increase the playerbase.

Those are all MMOs. Just because MMOs and ARPGs both have “RPG” as their root doesn’t mean they’re the same type of game or that they run on the same principles.

"
Question2 wrote:
The argument that bots would exploit the AH is silly because bots exploit ANYTHING. They exploit farming maps for currency. Conclusion : We must remove the ability to farm maps from the game so that actual players wouldnt be able to do it either. See the problem?

Yes, but that cuts both ways. The argument that an AH would SOLVE the bot/price-fixer problem that the trade sites has is equally silly. Because as you said: Bots exploit everything.

"
Question2 wrote:
An AH doesnt make it easier to obtain good gear...it makes it easier to TRADE...there is a huge difference. You want to make it harder to obtain good gear? Nerf drop rates, remove MF from the game, etc. That would actually limit the amount of good gear entering the economy. An AH just removes price fixers and people who never reply to whispers.

Say what now? How the heck to you harmonize that idea? You think easier trading won’t equate to easier gearing? What do you think people are trading for? People trade for gear, people trade for maps, people trade to try to speed up their personal progression through the game. You know who hit level 100 first in Incursion? A guy in SSF/HC, that means he won in all four leagues. He did the hardest run possible and he did it all without trading, at all.

As for nerfing drop rates, that’s what GGG is trying (desperately) to avoid! You folks who trade are a minority of the player base. Nerfing drop rates would hurt everyone who wasn’t you. And it was Chris Wilson (the game founder) who said that, not me. Read his Trade Manifesto.

"
Question2 wrote:
The real reaosn is this : Most online RPGs add new content regularly so that players have more goals to work towards to even if they have end game stats/gear. GGG does pretty much the exact opposite...they wipe the economy every 3 months with "leagues" that dont introduce new content, just side content. Instead of introducing better gear, tougher bosses and higher tier maps, they wipe, force you to start over, and grind the story/masters/atlas all over again. This is obviously way easier than introducing higher level content or higher level gear.

Yes, MMOs work that way, because they’re MMOs. Path of Exile is not an MMO. It’s an ARPG. It has different design principles. There are lots of MMOs out there, go play one! But do us all a favor and stop trying to turn an ARPG into an MMO.
'A Balrog,' muttered Gandalf. 'Now I understand.' He faltered and leaned heavily on his staff. 'What an evil fortune! And I am already weary.'

But let me explain this a little bit first; do you see the third column there?
The one that's labelled 'Time'?

That's how long the auction has before it ends and you get the item. (as long as you weren't outbid while you were asleep)

But yes, there is a buyout option.
Pay a bit extra to skip the wait and get it now!

Did you notice the second item from the bottom?
'Loaf of Bread' x5?

Do you see how the buyout price is twice as high as the initial bid?
"Let those with infinite free time pave the road with their corpses." - reboticon
Last edited by crystalwitch on Jun 18, 2018, 7:38:38 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info