[3.5] Oni-Goroshi Wild Strike/Molten Strike: (Slayer/Jugg, 7K+ HP, 5k+ Leech) ~ Uber Elder Down!

"
greenimp77 wrote:
Well I didn't get as much time to play over the weekend as I wanted to, but I did manage to get to 75. So far the offense of the build is incredible - I was able to clear T15 no problem. I can only imagine how great it's going to be once I get about 15 more skill points and fill out the crit/multi nodes.

Defensively it feels a little squishy. I was getting randomly 1 shot. I'm at 6200 health so that could be improved. I think the -70% chaos res is the biggest problem. I'll just have to figure out where I can squeeze some in. This build is tough to balance gear with.

Lots of fun to play though! I'm looking forward to pushing it to 90.

Glad you're enjoying!
Do you specifically notice a pattern to what is oneshotting you?

Personally It's quite rare I get oneshot, since you practically have Immortal Call up every time you are hit for 3-4 seconds.

However, unlike previous leagues, Chaos Damage mobs are much more prevalent this time around (in incursions and temple). The most notable being those evil Vaal Constructs; a volley of them can easily wipe you out, but my tactic is to just dodge with whirling then oneshot the pack.

Note that I mentioned it in my guide, but this may be a good league to drop the Oskarm, and run a Tombfist. The extra -% Chaos resist is actually considerable; I have NO chaos resist on my gear, but at -60% I feel a lot "tankier" than when I was at -74% or whatever.

You can pick up a 1-socket Tombfist for very cheap; yes, you lose juicy power charges, but honestly Tombfist is probably overall superior since you get Intimidate, which basically equates to the same damage of the power charges anyway... and even better, works 100% of the time on bosses without adds. The extra abyss jewel is just icing.
Cospri CoC Cold->Fire Trickster:
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2576559
Divine Ire Trickster:
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2459778
Decided to farm my two Oni's before checking out this build, so I'm only starting today. I had a quick question about the tree while leveling; Prior to unlocking the duelist area, do you just beeline down there after filling out the small area around the Scion start, and then refund those later after unlocking Duelist?
"
Alamandaros wrote:
Decided to farm my two Oni's before checking out this build, so I'm only starting today. I had a quick question about the tree while leveling; Prior to unlocking the duelist area, do you just beeline down there after filling out the small area around the Scion start, and then refund those later after unlocking Duelist?

I get asked this a lot... i may add some leveling trees if I get a chance.

Meanwhile, you are correct; I would do something like this while leveling:

https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/3.3.0/AAAABAABAAHcBS0GIAaiFHUX3Bm0IWAj0yP2MHwxsDWSQKBHfkrITP9Nkk4qVvpbr2VNapNuqm8ndKB08XXLd9d343gNeu9_K4LkhNmKr419j2CQEZpqqW618r02vqe-vMAay_XUUti93L3nD-pi

Then move west towards the Marauder area, fill out life nodes, etc.
When you finish Uber Lab, you can drop all the pathing nodes down to Duelist area... it saves you something like 5 skill points.

You can also pick up the +30 int node near Vaal Pact, or Cloth & Chain in duelist area for more resists while leveling, if you need. With the Scion resist nodes, Sentinel, Alira bandit, and Cloth and Chain you practically have near cap resists all through leveling... makes things a breeze.
Divine Ire Trickster:
Last edited by KooperT on Jun 11, 2018, 3:47:11 PM
edit: nm
Last edited by greenimp77 on Jun 12, 2018, 9:55:40 AM
How do you feel about infernal strike? I really wanted to make an oni-goroshi build this league but I am not crazy about the molten strike. Just don't like how the skill feels.
Will wild strike be fine on it's own? Don't think it will be good for killing bosses.
Infernal strike might be really good with this weapon after its rework, what do you think?
I'm up to 82 now and starting to have a survivability issue in top tier maps. I am constantly fighting against degen. Between Her Embrace and blood rage I've had to teleport out of maps a few times to avoid dieing from degen. On high density maps it isn't a problem, but if I have to go a few seconds without fighting it really starts to hurt.

POB says my leech rate is 3760 but it just doesn't feel like it.

Any suggestions?

"
greenimp77 wrote:
I'm up to 82 now and starting to have a survivability issue in top tier maps. I am constantly fighting against degen. Between Her Embrace and blood rage I've had to teleport out of maps a few times to avoid dieing from degen. On high density maps it isn't a problem, but if I have to go a few seconds without fighting it really starts to hurt.

Any suggestions?

Strange; your gear looks decent enough, what's your HP at? It's hard to tell exactly what's wrong without a PoB pastebin. If you want to post one i'll take a look tonight.

I assume your resistances are capped, especially Fire? Also, you're running the Arakali pantheon?

The key note is that Her Embrace is, essentially, like Righteous Fire. If your Fire resist is not capped, and/or not running Arakali, you will take massive fire damage degen. This means if you are running a map with say, Elemental Weakness, and you only have 75% fire resist... that becomes like 40%. You will feel a lot of pain unless you constantly remember to have your Wise Oak up. Having 4000 leech doesn't matter if your degen is like 3000.

A big key to counteract this is to have your flasks set up properly. You do not have a "Of Warding" flask. That means you cannot negate stuff like elemental weakness. You should really have a Diamond Flask of Warding, so you are always curse immune in maps.

Make sure you pay a close attention to what map rolls are. I specifically mentioned in the "Cons" section of this build that you need to be very careful with the specfic map mod "Players have 40% (or 60%) reduced recovery of life/mana". This one isn't a problem for me with my gear, but when starting off/leveling, and on higher tier maps... I highly suggest you reroll over this.

This is because it heavily effects our leech; and this build, being a Slayer, is heavily reliant on leech as our primary defensive tool. If you leech 4000/second with 60% reduced... you are really only leeching 1600/second - which as you say, barely counteracts Her Embrace/Blood Rage.

(In my case, I leech around 4400HP/S and degen about 900/s, so I still net leech about 3500HP/S).

Also, I highly recommend you replace your Quicksilver with either a Granite Flask, a Rumi's Concotion, or Lion's Roar. The 3000 flat armor it provides is actually stronger than the Basalt Flask, especially if you roll it with "Iron Skin" suffix. With Basalt and Lion's Roar up, my physical mitigation goes from 28% to 74%. Endurance charges then bring it up well over 90% - it's a huge difference in mitigation.

(On a sidenote, pick up Iron Grip - it bumps up damage from both Molten Strike projectiles and Wild Strike "Icy Waves")
Divine Ire Trickster:
Last edited by KooperT on Jun 13, 2018, 9:59:42 AM
"
KooperT wrote:
"
greenimp77 wrote:

Any suggestions?

Strange; your gear looks decent enough, what's your HP at? It's hard to tell exactly what's wrong without a PoB pastebin. If you want to post one i'll take a look tonight.

I assume your resistances are capped, especially Fire? Also, you're running the Arakali pantheon?

The key note is that Her Embrace is, essentially, like Righteous Fire. If your Fire resist is not capped, and/or not running Arakali, you will take massive fire damage degen. This means if you are running a map with say, Elemental Weakness, and you only have 75% fire resist... that becomes like 40%. You will feel a lot of pain unless you constantly remember to have your Wise Oak up. Having 4000 leech doesn't matter if your degen is like 3000.

A big key to counteract this is to have your flasks set up properly. You do not have a "Of Warding" flask. That means you cannot negate stuff like elemental weakness. You should really have a Diamond Flask of Warding, so you are always curse immune in maps.

(In my case, I leech around 4400HP/S and degen about 900/s, so I still net leech about 3500HP/S).

Also, I highly recommend you replace your Quicksilver with either a Granite Flask, a Rumi's Concotion, or Lion's Roar. The 3000 flat armor it provides is actually stronger than the Basalt Flask, especially if you roll it with "Iron Skin" suffix. With Basalt and Lion's Roar up, my physical mitigation goes from 28% to 74%. Endurance charges then bring it up well over 90% - it's a huge difference in mitigation.

HP is 6478.

Yes to capped fire res. Yes to Arakli. I'm 25% over on fire and with Wise Oak + End Charges I'm over by 80%!

I know the Quicksilver flask isn't optimal, but it's a personal playstyle necessity for me. I hate walking around slow. With the Basalt flask (with 99% inc armor) I'm at 71% phys reduction which isn't too shabby.

Here's my POB:
https://pastebin.com/spK6XEja

Thanks for taking the time to look into it! The dps is incredible with this build, I would really just like to not feel like I'm constantly on the edge of death.
"
How do you feel about infernal strike? I really wanted to make an oni-goroshi build this league but I am not crazy about the molten strike. Just don't like how the skill feels.
Will wild strike be fine on it's own? Don't think it will be good for killing bosses.
Infernal strike might be really good with this weapon after its rework, what do you think?

I personally haven't done much testing with Infernal Strike... but from what I've read, it's rather lackluster. The single target DPS is extremely mediocre, inclusive of the new "explosion" buffs. It is far weaker than traditional single target abilities like Molten Strike, Blade Flurry, Double Strike, or Heavy Strike. Like, it won't even come close.

Wild Strike is primarily for clearing trash; it's very similar to Reave; both suck for bosses. You need a secondary single target DPS skill.

If you really dislike Molten Strike, I would opt for Blade Flurry or Heavy Strike with 2x threshold jewels. But keep in mind Molten Strike is the best for this build because it allows for 100% fire conversion. You won't easily be able to convert any other skill.
Divine Ire Trickster:
Last edited by KooperT on Jun 14, 2018, 1:15:44 AM
The adventures of LauraVanderbooben

I just want to say thank you again KooperT. This has been my favorite build so far, I'm usually someone who plays multiple builds each league in a short time, quitting soon after because nothing feels great and I'm running out of currency, but I've been playing this one pretty much since the league started and I enjoy it more every day.

A few things I, as a pretty shitty player, noticed while playing and leveling this build.

Even though I played Abyss & Bestiary, this is the first time I decided to spend more than a few days in the league.

I started the league like I always do: pick a random build that feels good for the start, get through the story, find all trials (or check in global 820) and buy an uberlab carry. Map until I get enough Chaos Orbs to buy one Oni-Goroshi.

Cost
Spoiler

Oni-Goroshi - the first one - 40-70c (TLDR: cards are cheaper than the sword, at least for me!)
Spoiler

Carefully checking https://www.pathofexile.com/trade (a great alternative to poe.trade, had a ton of people who already sold the Item I wanted to buy on poe.trade, seems like the official site is less laggy!), I decided to buy Rebirth divination cards instead of buying the sword up front. Takes a bit longer, but I actually saved around 30c as I managed to buy the majority for 1c and only a few for 2c. The price of Oni-Goroshi was hovering around 65-70c, and that were the low rolled ones. Definitely worth it, as you could always get a pretty good roll, and even if you don't, you can always go back and buy a better one later when you need it. Buy the second one rather sooner than later if you care about the high crit roll, because prices will rise, but I'll come back to that later.

Starkonja's Head - 1-5c, depending on rolls
Spoiler

Incredibly cheap for such great value.
Bonuspoints: We pretty much don't need any more Dex for maxed out skillgems with this and the Dex we pick up from the tree.

Oskarm - 10c (TLDR: Assassin's Mark is great, the reduced chaos resistance not so much)
Spoiler

Managed to buy a -11% roll with relativly high Life & Accuracy rolls for 10c
The chaos res hurts like shit, especially considering most of the Incursion and Temple monster deal chaos damage. The Assassins Mark on hit is extremely usefull, not for the life (although I didn't check the math, I'm sure there's some value in there) but rather the mana we get. With only 150 unreserved mana, Wild Strike depletes all of that in 4 seconds. This saves us a gem slot in one ring / other item. I'm currently sitting at 4.3k Accuracy without any on my rare items. This is around 21.5% increased crit before DR.

Rare Items and Flasks - max 5c/each
Spoiler

I bought my rings/necklace/boots/belt and chestpiece for less than 5c each which accumulates to around 20-25c. We are a bit Intelligence starved with the Combustion and Conc Effect (2nd sword) Support gems, I went with a very high Intelligence roll on one of the rings and on my chest. Enough to support both at gem level 20. Just something to keep in mind. Flasks are about the same (not including Dying Sun Flask for singletarget, because I didn't run Molten Strike until later). You can always roll flasks yourself, as I end up with to many Transmutation/Alteration Orbs anyway. If you pick up quality flasks while leveling, you can sell Flasks with an combined quality of 40% for one Glassblower's Bauble. I tend to pick up more stuff than I need to while leveling/mapping, so I had enough to quality all flasks I use to 20%.

Pretty much all it took for the build to get rolling was 100c-150c.

I bought the following Items after doing the first yellow tier Elder (t8-t9 map, not sure).
This was when I realized I could use some more single target dps, because even the poison elder guardian was hard af for me.

Oni-Goroshi - the second one - 90c (TLDR: Molten Strike singletarget is huge)
Spoiler

As I said, when I killed the yellow tier elder for the first time, I felt like the second sword was needed. I had a hard time sustaining my life via leech even on the guardian fights, so I bought the second one and set up my Molten Strike. The impact I felt was instant, helped my friend with lab and Izaro died mid-air while jumping from his elevator onto my face. I definitely advice you buying the second sword before Kaom's if you're having trouble with survival against bosses while trash is going fine. That said, the cost of Oni-Goroshi definitely goes up.
Currently, the worst roll sits at 85c, about one week after I bought the second one with 88% for 90c, while my current sword goes for around 180c. You could always go back to buying the cards tho if you don't care to much for the rolls, will save you around 50-100c, depending on the time you decide to buy a second sword.

Kaoms Heart - 200c (TLDR: Great boost in survivability and damage, but comes at a price)
Spoiler

I bought this one just three days ago. 39% roll with the downside of already being corrupted - but that's totally fine with me. The 500 Life is self explanatory, and the Increased Fire Damage helps especially with Molten Strike.
Please keep in mind that you lose a ton of resistances from your previous chestpiece, and maybe even the Intelligence required for Combustion & Conc Effect Support. Since I didn't want to spend a ton of currency on rare rings, I went with KooperT's suggestion for the resistance nodes below the Scion start. You could even pick up the Jewel slot, as it's allocated anyway! More on this later.

Xoph's Blood - 10c - 7ex (TLDR: I hit the jackpot. Put your trust in the cards kids, probably not going to happen again tho)
Spoiler

Yea, I pretty much highrolled the crap out of this one. Said to myself 'You're not getting this item if you straight up buy it, so might as well try to get it through The Breach Divination Cards. First try. Just had to buy the Blessing of Xoph to upgrade it for another 3c or so. I have absolutely no idea what the odds for this were, I'm damn sure the chance for the cards to return each item is the same (so 1/17). I just went for it.
If you end up buying Xoph's Blood, it was selling for over 6ex when I got mine. Huge investment, but worth it if you have the money.

Dying Sun - 200-250c (Not tested myself!)
Spoiler

Didn't feel the need for it since my singletarget damage was already high enough to roll through everything (currently sitting at t13-t14 maps). I probably go back and buy one for red tier Elder/Shaper/Guardians, will update this comment when the time has come.

Replacement Rares 50c-2ex, depending on what stats you focus on
Spoiler

This is a tricky one. We lose a ton of resistances and Intelligence when using Xoph's Blood and Kaom's Heart. Since I spend pretty much all my currency on Kaom's Heart, I respecced into the resistance nodes below the Scion start suggested by KooperT to cap my resistances again. The rolls on my rares are sub-optimal, but they serve their purpose for now. Definitely could have around 25-30% more life from the tree, but that will result in a huge increase in currency cost for the rares, and that's just not happening for me right now.

Items & Gems I used for leveling
Spoiler

Items
Spoiler

I didn't use any of the standard leveling uniques other than the obvious Oni-Goroshi, nothing to talk about that other than the fact that mana usage can be pretty high, but you end up one-shotting everything anyway. You could definitely go for a Wanderlust for more movementspeed or Goldrim to not worry about resistances until Act 6.

Skill Gems
Spoiler

I played around with a lot of early game clear skills, but Molten Strike felt the best.
Once you get Melee Splash and Ancestral Call (level 8 and 4, respectively), you can just obliterate your way through the story.
Onslaught Support is always one of my favorite leveling gems as it provides you a permanent movement speed bonus as long as you're killing stuff.
Arcande Surge is great as well, as mana can be a real issue if you're going for the full 6 gem sword.
Other than that, pick whatever you feel like playing.

The obvious x-movement-skill paired with Faster Attacks.

Herlad of Ash and Anger can be picked up as soon as you meet the level requirements.

Same goes for the Cast when Damage Taken set. If you have the links for it, may as well use it.

Lightning Golem for more speed, Flame Golem for more damage or Stone Golem for more Life and sustain.

Blasphemy with Assassin's Mark is also an excellent choice for leveling. Note that you have to drop Anger for this one, but it felt better to me.

Blood Rage for more speed, but it actually hurts quite combined with Her Embrace while leveling. I just equipped 3 Life Potions and 2 Quicksilver Potions until I finished the story.

Skill Tree Progression while leveling
The choices I made were results of what I felt was necessary at that current level.
Spoiler

23 points
Spoiler

https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/3.3.0/AAAABAAAAAHcMZ41kjXWRQpHfk3jZU11y3fjeA2E2aZXqW618r02vqe-vMAa2L3qYvTG_o8=

42 points
Spoiler

https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/3.3.0/AAAABAAAAAHcFHUZtCP2MHwxnjWSNdZFCkd-TP9Nkk3jTipW-luvZU1qk3XLd9d343gNfyuE2Y19jbmQCqTCplepbrF8tfK9Nr6nvrzAGsPm2L3qYvTG_W7-jw==

65 points
Spoiler

(pick up the gem slot below the Scion Life Cluster Constitution for the Wild Fire Gem quest reward in act 5)

https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/3.3.0/AAAABAAAAAHcBS0OPBRNFHEUdRiRGNsZtBuqIWAj9imlMHwxnjWSNdY6UkCgRQpHfkz_TZJN404qVvpbr14TYVJjF2VNapNvO3Txdct313fjeA16738rhNmGYI19jbmQCqTCplepbrF8tfK8n702vqe-vMAawQfD5td-2L3qYu9O9Mb8S_1u_o8=

remaining points until you finish uber lab
Spoiler

Depending on what you need.
If your defenses are feeling good, go for the remaining Damage nodes (Lava Lash, Fatal Blade, Brutal Blade or Primeval Force).
If you're lacking in defenses, pick up more Life nodes from the original skill tree linked below.

https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/3.2.1/AAAABAABAADBAl8FLQYgBqIOPBLhFE0UcRR1F9wYkRjbGbQbqiFgIq8j0yP2JP0ppSo4MHwxnjGwNZI31DhTOlI64T8nQKBEJUa3R35KfUrITP9Nkk3jTipRR1b6V1ReE185YN5hUmMXZU1noGhlapNuqm8ndKB07XTxdct2rHbnd9d673vDfyuCB4LkhFOE2YZgh3aKr4qzivCNfY25j2CQEZHOkn2S0JOomG-aapstpAykwqZXqLuwq7F8tfK5HbvtvJ-9Nr6nvrzBB8PmxILL9c9-02_UUtd-2L3ZfNwj3L3jn-XP5w_nVOoY6mLtP-6Q707v_fJF8933Mvd9-Ov8S_1u_gr-j__e

Notes on Leech and Vaal Pact
Spoiler

Leech may not feel great when you start mapping, at least for me it didn't as I never played a Leech build before. It will, however, see a huge increase in power and feel once you get to use Wild Strike over Molten Strike.
Don't make the same mistake as I and put it in a Gem slot somewhere on your gear while leveling so you don't have to start doing that once you finished the story.
If you feel comfortable, put a point in Vaal Pact. If you're doing uberlab on your own, I suggest respeccing it as traps are a pain with no life regen.

My current gear and PoB Link

Spoiler

PoB
https://pastebin.com/2HPpEdDf

This ended up being way longer than I anticipated. I reformatted the post so I don't clutter up an entire page with this.
I hope this might serve as point of view from a relatively unexperienced player when it comes to endgame. Thanks again, this build has been a blast so far.
Last edited by Clayne on Jun 13, 2018, 10:01:36 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info