Current ARPGs to turn to?

I am looking forward to Biomutant. Not sure where THQ Nordic is on the bad companies list.

Looking forward to Cyberpunk 2077, but that is probably not an ARPG.
"
鬼殺し wrote:
"
frenzul wrote:
I don't have a funking clue. I don't understand why there aren't more.

Because while we can pretend ARPGs are popular by looking at PoE's success, they're outdated and out of favour in the mainstream compared to mobas, match-3s, team shooters, battle royales, and crazy-expensive-immersive-action-adventure-games like God of War. The ARPG dwells in that same space as the point-and-click adventure game now, which shouldn't be surprising given they're roughly from the same period.

Diablo 4 might change that but I don't expect so.

Multiplayer and monetization seem to be the keys to new RPG'ish games, including ARPGs. PoE seems to have come up with a decent monetization scheme while, at the same time, retaining a very good development model, keeping the game "fresh" and inspiring customer loyalty. That's... a difficult thing to do.

And, we can't underestimate the impact of other media. Games that are really almost purpose-built for "Streaming" get max populations pretty quick and prospective players watch these streams and say to themselves "I want to have that experience." It's like 24/7 marketing, at its best. ARPGs are a bit more focused on the individual, up-front, experience. When new gear is aquired or a level is gained and stats increased, the player "feels it" since they're familiar with playing the character, but someone watching a stream/vid doesn't see it as easily as they can tell the difference between a crappy handgun and the player finding a rare bazooka-howitzer-blow-up-massive-BFG in an FPS/TeamShooter/etc.

IMO, there's a divide coming into play that splits gaming markets. It's not a bad thing, but it does mean that the most profitable, and thus desirable, games that will be produced will likely be multiplayer games that can be easily monetized and provide much more "instant feedback" no matter what their format is. Those sorts of requirements won't always easily support what we have come to expect of an ARPG. Though, again, PoE seems to have done a good job of breaking the mold while still providing traditional ARPG elements and good monetization. (IMO)
I won't say I'm going anywhere. I don't prejudge. Same reason I don't buy expansion packs in advance then cry like a B when it doesnt work out.

But if I leave I have like 40 games in a steam unplayed plus grim dawn DRM free. Only worry I have is time to play them. I'm only able to play one game due to work/kids/wife/etc.
Git R Dun!
I currently have more games than I can handle. Regarding PoE, I am on vacation as is always the case then I'm done with league. I get to play my other games for a change. I don't have the time some do, but I manage to get some time in. I recently tried to play Titan Quest again, but it seems as rusty as D2 to me. Pity. D3 is only good for a week or less per season. Fuck them.

I have GD and the EP, Wolcen (but there isn't much to do yet there), and I pledged for alpha for Last Epoch.

Right now I'm playing a bit of House Flipper which is cute.
Censored.
Last edited by kolyaboo on May 23, 2018, 10:54:09 PM
"
鬼殺し wrote:
"
FarmerTed wrote:
I am looking forward to Biomutant. Not sure where THQ Nordic is on the bad companies list.

Looking forward to Cyberpunk 2077, but that is probably not an ARPG.

Neither is Biomutant, really. It's in that looser 'action game with roleplaying bits and pieces' genre that catches anything from Wonderboy to God of War. Looks alright but that's not an isometric 'arpg' so to speak. Closer to Fable or (sigh) Reckoning:KoA.

THQ seem okay. They acquired the unstoppable Titan Quest a few years ago and made it available again, but the expansion they put out was...for the fans only, which you can either take as awesome or pointless. I've yet to try it since I don't play TQ on PC, but TQ:Ragnarok is more TQ and that satisfies most fans despite probably not making too much money. So in that light I'd see THQ Nordic as 'good guys'.

I am pretty clueless about video games genres. Generally I only have a few requirements. Game setting/story resonates in some way or at least amuses me. Can be played solo; although, I think Warframe is going to force me to group up. At least I am enjoying it enough not to be too upset.
Ended up getting the Grim Dawn expansion. It isn't quite filling the spot but it is at least worth the purchase price.

Also got Borderlands 2 GOTY (it on sale on steam atm).

At some point going to try Titan Quest.

Thanks for all the replies everyone.
When righteousness falters
And chaos threatens to prevail
I take on a physical body
And manifest myself on earth.
Last edited by Thermoluminescence on May 25, 2018, 2:04:57 AM
"
鬼殺し wrote:
...That game legitimately scares me but I'll work up the nerve to open it soon. Maybe today. Maybe...

/agreed :)

It's enormously complex, from what I have seen of it. It does look great, but the learning curve is pretty steep. Though, I have to say, the sound effects are distractingly annoying. IIRC, there's a way to change them and use one's own. (Don't have the game, but have been thinking about getting it for a long time.)
"
Little indie Action-RPG/Roguelite/Platformer named Tallowmere:...

And, that's another good suggestion - There are plenty of really good, free, indie "Roguelite" and "Roguelike" games out there. They'd be pretty decent choices for an RPG'er and they certainly have "action" elements to them. Some aren't turn/move-based, too, going more the "arcady" sort of action-rpg combat route.
Now I'll have to see what Dominions 5 is. I've never heard of it. WTF? I don't know why I'm such a curious person.
Censored.
"
鬼殺し wrote:
... And I take it PoE veterans are probably a bit more attuned to number crunching and intricate stats than your average mainstream gamer...

"Gearcheck" min/maxers are from the same blood. It doesn't matter if they're crunching stat bonuses or hunting for perks on the Passives tree, farming for five hours just to get the mats to make a buff potion that gives them an extra five points to something in WoW, chain-running Rifts in D3, mindlessly, just to get another five points on their Augment for one gear slot...

Those sorts of gamers don't balk too strongly at "depth." They live for it.

BUT, dang.. Dominions is like Grognards on steroids chugging Jolt cola and mainlining crack...

Should be fun, though. :)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info