"Tencent will ruin PoE" is a self-fulfilling prophecy

"
Exsmigol wrote:
They sold 80, not 10 or 20... 80 d** percent of the company.

"
codetaku wrote:
tencent bought path of exile cause they expect to earn alot of money with the chinese version.

WRONG! They want nearly everything.

It pisses me off that GGG manage to grown because of how bad Diablo 3 by activion B was and now they are doing the same thing...

Hold the fucking phone.

You're quoting vio from the second post, not me.

Fucking change it.
"
codetaku wrote:
Fucking change it.

Done...
Thanks. It was important since vio's position is basically the opposite of mine.
That's the real issue there.

Even if we assume that gameplay direction wouldn't change, the business model will surely do. It's one thing buying supporter packs for an indie studio (you better check the definition of what indie studio is, guys) and another for a soulless corporation. Even if some of the players don't care about the organization and only care about the service/product they receive, note that there are plenty others who do and the churn of those people will force the company to adopt other models.

Another big thing is - assuming that they keep the staff and management. Do you really believe the ex-owners and staff would work as hard and give their hearts as much as they did while having significant stakes in the company? Would they work at all since they're on a payroll right now and got retirement money in place? The extent of this issue depends on how they made the sell - did they diluted their shares (was it proportional?) or outright sold them?

What about related 3rd party services that fill significant poe voids for free, will they continue to do so? Poe trade, poe wiki, filter creators, poe builder...

I personally lost faith with GGG after the xbox debacle and haven't paid a dollar since then without having a public roadmap. Looks like the failure of beastiary league might have forced the decision to sell sooner rather than later. Good financial decision, bad for the userbase.
Last edited by Ire_of_Desire on May 21, 2018, 9:46:30 AM
"
codetaku wrote:
"
Exsmigol wrote:
They sold 80, not 10 or 20... 80 d** percent of the company.

"
codetaku wrote:
tencent bought path of exile cause they expect to earn alot of money with the chinese version.

WRONG! They want nearly everything.

It pisses me off that GGG manage to grown because of how bad Diablo 3 by activion B was and now they are doing the same thing...

Hold the fucking phone.

You're quoting vio from the second post, not me.

Fucking change it.

Hey sir, how about you calm down.
"Good thing they nerfed the carto, it wasn't fun to find one in every map." - Haborym
Well, if international PoE turns out to be no longer profitable due to a significant decrease in supporter pack purchases, I am sure Tencent will happily liquidate the international branch and focus solely on the Chinese market.
"Into the Labyrinth!
left step, right step, step step, left left.
Into the Labyrinth!"
"
RonY_Warrior wrote:
I can understand that GGG need recognition as a result of their work. But I fear that they have sold their souls. Let's see how the game will evaluate but it doesn't smell very good.

i fear Chineses will want money, always more moneys. P2W incoming ...

I just wonder how much Chris got for his soul and what Vaal Gem Tencent is storing it in
I dont see any any key!
goodbye poe as we know it. We had a good run
"
codetaku wrote:
And I don't even think we can prevent it.

Tencent bought PoE because they think it'll get them more money in the long run.

Let's assume for a second that Tencent is being 100% honest that they have no intention, currently, of interfering with PoE development.

Even if that's the case, many people are still going to stop buying packs at the rates we have been. First off, the amount of money some of us have spent on the game is already way more than almost any other game we've played--because it made sense to support an Indie Studio for making a great product. But it's not *just* the fact that it's no longer Indie; many people very specifically don't want to give money to Tencent in particular (the reaction would be very much the same if it were Activision or EA, but if, for example, somehow Nintendo decided they wanted GGG, many people would be going "huh???" but there wouldn't be this same degree of clear backlash), and we now know that for Tencent to profit off of their majority share, they will be getting part of the packs we buy from now on (probably less than many people think--they'll only be taking a cut of the profit. The portion that goes to operating costs will still have to go directly to GGG. But Tencent still gets a cut).

So, if people stop buying packs even before Tencent asks for changes.... GGG will either have to think up new monetization strategies or Tencent will eventually push new monetization strategies on them. The only alternative to these two is that GGG dies as a studio, since they will be anti-profitable at that point. With any of these options, we lose.

I'm not trying to trick people into buying all the packs even post-takeover, for the record. I'm merely explaining why this was not a well-thought-out plan on GGG's part :/

Getting sold to Tencent was worst decision ever made by GGG. Period.
Last edited by SunL4D2 on May 21, 2018, 12:24:31 PM
"
SunL4D2 wrote:
"
codetaku wrote:
And I don't even think we can prevent it.

Tencent bought PoE because they think it'll get them more money in the long run.

Let's assume for a second that Tencent is being 100% honest that they have no intention, currently, of interfering with PoE development.

Even if that's the case, many people are still going to stop buying packs at the rates we have been. First off, the amount of money some of us have spent on the game is already way more than almost any other game we've played--because it made sense to support an Indie Studio for making a great product. But it's not *just* the fact that it's no longer Indie; many people very specifically don't want to give money to Tencent in particular (the reaction would be very much the same if it were Activision or EA, but if, for example, somehow Nintendo decided they wanted GGG, many people would be going "huh???" but there wouldn't be this same degree of clear backlash), and we now know that for Tencent to profit off of their majority share, they will be getting part of the packs we buy from now on (probably less than many people think--they'll only be taking a cut of the profit. The portion that goes to operating costs will still have to go directly to GGG. But Tencent still gets a cut).

So, if people stop buying packs even before Tencent asks for changes.... GGG will either have to think up new monetization strategies or Tencent will eventually push new monetization strategies on them. The only alternative to these two is that GGG dies as a studio, since they will be anti-profitable at that point. With any of these options, we lose.

I'm not trying to trick people into buying all the packs even post-takeover, for the record. I'm merely explaining why this was not a well-thought-out plan on GGG's part :/

Getting sold to Tencent was worst decision ever made by GGG. Period.

now before you say that I want to know how big the check was

I dont see any any key!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info