"Tencent will ruin PoE" is a self-fulfilling prophecy

And I don't even think we can prevent it.

Tencent bought PoE because they think it'll get them more money in the long run.

Let's assume for a second that Tencent is being 100% honest that they have no intention, currently, of interfering with PoE development.

Even if that's the case, many people are still going to stop buying packs at the rates we have been. First off, the amount of money some of us have spent on the game is already way more than almost any other game we've played--because it made sense to support an Indie Studio for making a great product. But it's not *just* the fact that it's no longer Indie; many people very specifically don't want to give money to Tencent in particular (the reaction would be very much the same if it were Activision or EA, but if, for example, somehow Nintendo decided they wanted GGG, many people would be going "huh???" but there wouldn't be this same degree of clear backlash), and we now know that for Tencent to profit off of their majority share, they will be getting part of the packs we buy from now on (probably less than many people think--they'll only be taking a cut of the profit. The portion that goes to operating costs will still have to go directly to GGG. But Tencent still gets a cut).

So, if people stop buying packs even before Tencent asks for changes.... GGG will either have to think up new monetization strategies or Tencent will eventually push new monetization strategies on them. The only alternative to these two is that GGG dies as a studio, since they will be anti-profitable at that point. With any of these options, we lose.

I'm not trying to trick people into buying all the packs even post-takeover, for the record. I'm merely explaining why this was not a well-thought-out plan on GGG's part :/
Last bumped on May 21, 2018, 1:52:58 PM
"
codetaku wrote:

Tencent bought PoE because they think it'll get them more money in the long run.

tencent bought path of exile cause they expect to earn alot of money with the chinese version.

and they likely see that the international version is not gaining track longterm with people bringing up all sorts of excusions of "having to vote with their wallets".

no pay to win /free to play failed. players who invest into a game want a return, when microsoft window was basically free to copy, nobody paid microsoft a cent. they had to lock it down to make people spend money.

ggg could have gone the same way but didn't. i would be interested, why?

age and treachery will triumph over youth and skill!
I can understand that GGG need recognition as a result of their work. But I fear that they have sold their souls. Let's see how the game will evaluate but it doesn't smell very good.

i fear Chineses will want money, always more moneys. P2W incoming ...
Yeah, "well-thought-out" is not one of the many thing's I've ever accused GGG of before :)

I can't say I'm surprised. It's win-win for the guys selling the company because they've already got their retirement money and anything from here on in is just gravy for them. Worst case for them they retire 20-years early and can all go do hookers, blow and poker in Vegas for the rest of their lives, while the rest of the office joins the social-services/welfare line when Tencent locks the doors.

For the business though...... I can't honestly see how they survive this. They just took their biggest asset - the single greatest volume of good-will from a consumer base of ANY game in the PC marketplace world wide - and just flushed it all down the toilet. Which is nothing short of the most brutal kind of suicide for a games company, especially given such a massive portion of their revenue is tied to the good will of it's consumers buying supporter packs.

The thought of buying MTX or supporter packs of any kind from a Tencent owned company is nothing short of laughable on any number of levels, be it personal, ethical or otherwise.
"
codetaku wrote:
I'm not trying to trick people into buying all the packs even post-takeover, for the record. I'm merely explaining why this was not a well-thought-out plan on GGG's part :/

GGG did think it through. They know what will likely happen. And they still chose this route.
It's a self fulfilling prophecy because it's obviously true.
funny to see that happening after 6 month of bad dev decisions (2 boring league and + bunch of nerfs) and low players retention.......

even falshback event is a failure , becoming a no-man's land after 1 week.....

beginning of the end ?

wait and see.......
learning is a painful process ... knowledge is the most deadly weapon.
https://soundcloud.com/omgtsn/sad-pedal?in=vikingstill/sets/fuck

I still can't get over the tragedy how Tencent ruined my old favorite indie game League of Legends back in 2011. Every day I close my eyes and vision how it would be if I could still play this game but this fantasy is shattered quick as I always start hysterically crying.

Uploaded an awesome Exsanguinate Freeze Explosion build on the forums - https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3508506
Last edited by Kiss_Me_Quick on May 21, 2018, 8:32:40 AM
I was eagerly looking forward to 3.3. Now I don't really give a damn.
Last edited by Nizreb915 on May 21, 2018, 8:33:23 AM
"
Kiss_Me_Quick wrote:
https://soundcloud.com/omgtsn/sad-pedal?in=vikingstill/sets/fuck

I still can't get over the tragedy how Tencent ruined my old favorite indie game League of Legends back in 2011. Every day I close my eyes and vision how it would be if I could still play this game but this fantasy is shattered quick as I always start hysterically crying.

How did they ruin lol? I used to play a lot before russian servers got split from other servers,i was even in beta test.
I do not see how could they add something p2w.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info