Tencent Acquisition

just sayin - but a f2p game's business IS the relationship with the players.

the players generally feel betrayed/think that ggg sold out.

it's rather ludicrous to blame the players for stating such.
[Removed by Support]
"Your forum signature was removed as it was considered to be inappropriate and a breach of our Code of Conduct."

...it was quotes. from the forum. lolz!
Don't be mad at me, but right now, I don't feel like supporting the game any more. I did not send huge amount of money, but I do so since the game's dawn, when it mattered.

Maybe it will pass, but I was actually happy to point out that my support goes to concrete New Zealand folks. Now... that feels like not true any more.
I think ggg lost money last year. In the balecast podcast thing, chris was constantly mentioning monitation and finances. He never mentioned money in the past.

Its probably xsolla, i tried to buy a pack and got my credit card locked. Id think they are making less money now than before.
You could be right about Xsolla. I also got my cc locked. You would think they would have had the brains to just ditch Xsolla and forget selling out to these creeps.
Censored.
"
kolyaboo wrote:
You could be right about Xsolla. I also got my cc locked. You would think they would have had the brains to just ditch Xsolla and forget selling out to these creeps.

Penalties for breaking contract could be quite high. Probably have to stick to contract for a set amount of time.

That, or, Xsolla payment processing effect on net income is actually positive instead of negative, in which case mo' money mo' problems for your customers, but I doubt it.
Need game info? Check out the Wiki at: https://www.poewiki.net/

Contact support@grindinggear.com for account issues. Check out How to Report Bugs + Post Images at: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/18347
Well, gee, you are right. I mean, like how many people sign contracts in the world and later regret it?

Happens daily. God only knows how many times.

BUT how many of them regret their actions so much that they then sell their souls to a Chinese company with delusions of global domination?

Hmm. Might have to research that one.
Censored.
"
kolyaboo wrote:
Well, gee, you are right. I mean, like how many people sign contracts in the world and later regret it?

Happens daily. God only knows how many times.

BUT how many of them regret their actions so much that they then sell their souls to a Chinese company with delusions of global domination?

Hmm. Might have to research that one.

At least one.

Every second.
Carry on my waypoint son, there'll be peace when maps are done.
Lay your portal gem to rest, don't you die no more.

'Cause it's a bitter sweet symphony this league.
Try to make maps meet, you're a slave to the meta, then you leave.
It is very unsettling to me. I used to have a better opinion of them though. They have played fast and loose with the truth of late. Something they never did (that I know of) in bygone times.
Censored.
"
鬼殺し wrote:
"
WithLoveEarL wrote:
"
vio wrote:
i basically agree with charan now and wish they better had a annual subscription than selling to tencent.

Completely agree.

If you need money so much that you're shaking like a coke addict, just make it PAID.

I would be happy to buy the game, heck I'd even pay $50 for it or an annual/monthly subscription. It's way better than selling out to a corporation that has absolutely no interest in your ideas or authenticity.

Two issues here:

1) they'd technically be going against their word introducing something like a subscription, because I've been pushing for one pretty much since the start. Subscription for discounted GGGold, exclusive titles, pets, mtxes...that's well within their moral envelope but I guess they didn't want to embrace the reality that people are that eager to support them on the regular;

and

2) If I'm even vaguely right with how much I think GGG made with this sale of their company, it'd take an unrealistic amount of subscriptions and support to justify that over this sudden but inevitable betrayal change in company structure.

The xsolla issue was a factor for sure. For whatever reason it never got in the way of my paypaling support but I know it cost GGG some cash. Again, probably nowhere near what they made with this devil's bargain.

What I'm missing from all this is a sense that the devs are being honest with us. They have no obligation to be, but until a few days ago being somewhat honest was an expected part of their image to the playerbase. As I said elsewhere, this is all very cagey and secretive, and it's a shock for long-time patrons of GGG and PoE.

I'm sure the truth will come out eventually, but for now, we're left in this limbo of just so much speculation and unease. Which would be a problem were we investors, and not just saps who've thrown so much money at GGG over the years. The fact that it's not a problem to them to keep us in the dark like this is in itself unsettling, isn't it?

Most unsettling, indeed.
I'm sitting here with my collection of PoE items on my desk, maps on the wall, the shirts I'm wearing, all as a result of massive support over the years.

I'll be honest, I'm feeling pretty silly right now.
Carry on my waypoint son, there'll be peace when maps are done.
Lay your portal gem to rest, don't you die no more.

'Cause it's a bitter sweet symphony this league.
Try to make maps meet, you're a slave to the meta, then you leave.
"
Xavathos wrote:

Most unsettling, indeed.
I'm sitting here with my collection of PoE items on my desk, maps on the wall, the shirts I'm wearing, all as a result of massive support over the years.

I'll be honest, I'm feeling pretty silly right now.

you shouldn't. just add "sponsored by tencent" to all of them to feel better.

---

joking aside, a great experiment just finally failed on the current generation of gamers. there will be no independent, free to play, no pay to win games for a long time.

idealism is dead. you need to charge people for services, building on people's idealism doesn't reliably pay your bills.

a company may offer free to play elements for a certain time but needs paytowin to cross finance these goodies and will finally have to prioritise paytowin over free content.

we had 7 years of fun, i'm thankful for that because i know people in nz worked their asses off to make this happen.
age and treachery will triumph over youth and skill!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info