Tencent has Invested in Grinding Gear Games

China is awesome. Showing westerners how capitalism in done. I wish Tencent bought UFC instead of WME who's ran into the ground but Dana white wouldnt sell it them despite offering more.
Git R Dun!
Last edited by Aim_Deep on May 20, 2018, 11:01:00 PM
"
YohSL wrote:

You couldn't stand the mildest of criticism, and bite back with ad hominid attacks?
How pathetic.

And I enjoyed writing every vowel and consonant of it. Deeply.
Last edited by Sabranic_SilverDeth on May 20, 2018, 11:01:18 PM
"
jutomo wrote:
"
Ashriel wrote:
Yikes. I knew you were partnered already, but Chinese money is the dirtiest you could possibly take.

What made you say that? Chinese people are hard-working and they make money with their sweat and blood. You cannot just say something like that without evidence and knowledge.

Censorship of the Chinese autocracy, abusing the reach of their businesses.
Chinese business (as some users mentioned, Tencent is known for that. There seem to be several examples) used to change the business model of popular games to monetize them.
"
Aim_Deep wrote:
China is awesome. Showing westerners how capitalism in done. I wish Tencent bought UFC instead of WME who's ran into the ground but Dana white wouldnt sell it them despite offering more.

Yet still claiming at running a communistic regime. A big fat lie, but this is all communism is in the first place, so somewhat consistent and to be expected.
Im paying for the game, not for the company behind the game, so i will judge not the Tencent/GGG, but the game they publish, and will support it as long as i enjoy playing it, its that simple. If everything goes to shit, now we know who to blame, sure, but as long as POE is not turning into Battlefront 2 and GGG is not morphing into Nexon, who cares where money for the development comes from? As long as end result is enjoyable, you do you, GGG.
"
gibbousmoon wrote:
For an FAQ this seems to be missing the answers to some fundamental questions. Here are the first ones that pop into my mind:

1. What's in it for GGG?

2. What's in it for Tencent?

Tencent is a business. Exactly what did they buy? How do they intend to profit off of this acquisition? I'm sure this was a question you asked them as well, before signing on the dotted line.

3. If Tencent is indeed not interested in influencing your operations, then why did they go for 51% ownership?

I'm sure you asked them this question too, because you are not stupid.

4. What's in it for gamers?

How will this impact the end product? Does this huge influx of cash mean you can afford to test content more thoroughly prior to release? Or does this mean you are going to zoom ahead at an even faster pace?

There are more, but I'll leave those for you for now.

People already have their own ideas about the answers to #2 and #3, and that is why there is so much pessimism in this thread. Thus, that should have been the FIRST thing you talked about, not something left out entirely.

Autonomy is perhaps the biggest loss any creative outfit can incur, so explain to us why exactly it was worth it to accept that.

Your FAQ does not even touch that.

I do agree that their could have been more information given.
The way it was done feels almost as an aside, like there wasn't much effort into explaining what is a rather major issue. It's a bit skimpy on details, and thus doesn't exactly inspire confidence.
I think that is in part was is causing the hysteria in this thread.

I honestly think GGG/Chris need to go into much greater detail about what this change entails.
Because otherwise I expect people to keep flinging their poop at the walls.
I like how the assumptions here are 51%.

For reference, Tencent bought 93% of League of Legends/Riot when it bought the "controlling stake". It now fully owns it as Tencent bought out the rest.

I would assume at a minimum that Tencent owns somewhere between 75-80% of GGG.

Also that means the entire IP along with it. If Chris and Company (or anyone here for that matter) ever had dreams of "Path of Exile 2"... that shit now wholly lies with Tencent.

Fuck man.
You guys should make a unique dropbear boss modeled after Winnie the Pooh.
So what the reason now in buying support packs?
Support Tencent? I don't want.
Diving head first into shark infested waters with this one. Chinese investors are not widely regarded as trustworthy or sensible. LoL has the worst business model of all the successful MOBAs and that has held back it's western growth magnificently. DOTA 2 and Smite have stolen massive market share at least in part for having player-centric business models. Not sure why you mention Clash to try and smooth us over, it's tablet shitware that has no other design goal beyond tricking kids into accidentally buying coins for cash.

PoE has been relatively fair over the years, but the feature creep going on with storage is starting to become pretty P2W. You can't compete with people who have full storage kits anymore as a player on a tight budget who can't buy every new storage tab feature, the full kit is insanely powerful at this point and also extremely expensive. Are we going to see the price of the full storage kit continue to radically expand or are we going to start seeing new features added to existing tabs instead? Will that decision really be GGGs? People will question it either way. Will GGG be afraid to try a good monetization idea for fear of being mocked for taking Tencent orders? I hope Tencent is bringing something really valuable to this deal, because you're giving up more than you're admitting to be under their thumb.
Last edited by Astealoth on May 20, 2018, 11:13:42 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info