Tencent has Invested in Grinding Gear Games

"
13elial wrote:
guys, money/investment isn't bad. why is everyone bitching? additional investment could mean more devs and better/bigger content updates...

people are so negative these days.

it is not investment at all.
Tencent just bought GGG.
What to prevent their influence to Path of Exile?
Their meaningfulness "promises".
What i don't understand is - why sell majority stake?

Even selling 30%-40% stake would be tens of millions of dollars - enough to fund the development for at least a decade.

Now you are pretty much forced to obey every decision Tencent makes.

And anyone who purchases MTX / Supporter packs from now on is actually supporting Tencent instead of Grinding Gear Games.
"
Lwe1389 wrote:

What a moron

Getting funding as a company is selling out? I bet you interact with, purchase, and love products in your everyday life that are built / made and sold by massive corporations who are involved in lobbying or have been a part of acquisitions or investments on a scale a million times larger than this

As long as GGG doesn't change and this company makes no impact on the developers and designers whatsoever I'm 100% behind this

1. The community provided funding, Einstein.
2. Do not make assumptions about someone you don't know with absolutely no proof or factual/logical evidence.
3. Because I buy a can of coke, and Coca-cola lobby for <insert thing here> - doesn't mean I agree with what they do, nor does it somehow validate a totally different entity. Ridiculously faulty Logic.
4. You based your backing on a conditional and a vague one at that.

Congrats. You proved that if a moron is in the thread. It's certainly you, rather than I.
The original topic is more important than you. So I will not respond further. Learn Wisdom.
Great, so censorship for POE by default and not just for the Chinese version as - let's face it - we deal with an autocracy in China, meddling around everywhere they can, using Chinese companies active across the globe to censor everything they like?

Sorry, Chris, I'm not naive enough to believe that Tencent invested good money out of the goodness of their hearts. There is - as always in the business world - a catch. An ulterior motive, either money or control or most likely both due to the controling stake.

I sincerely hope, their money was worth it, but then again I'm not motivated to keep buying expensive supporter packs, if you sold your skin and gave up your independence. I already foresee a decreasing willingness of people to keep supporting you and buying supporter packs. This will intensify once Tencent uses its controling stake to turn your business model upside down, which they will do eventually.

You made a bad choice and will see your legacy turn to ashes eventually, once Tencent uses its new power. And when this'll happen, try again making us believe that everything remains the same. Sure thing...

The same things went down the drain with Blizzard. As soon as business interests kick in, players just become cash cows to milk. The same thing, EA is pulling all the time (loot boxes etc.). But at least they got their reputation and people are aware of what they're dealing with if they go into bed with EA.

I doubt, we'll recognize POE in near future. You enslaved yourself. Don't come whining once Tencent forces you to do things, you don't want to do. Unfortunately it will be too late for regret then...
Last edited by DemonBloodbath on May 20, 2018, 11:08:28 PM
You're not independent anymore when another company has a majority stake, are you?
And then Tencent of all companies. Coul have as well sold off to EA, but I guess those don't have that money anymore.
"Into the Labyrinth!
left step, right step, step step, left left.
Into the Labyrinth!"
"
Ashriel wrote:
Yikes. I knew you were partnered already, but Chinese money is the dirtiest you could possibly take.

What made you say that? Chinese people are hard-working and they make money with their sweat and blood. You cannot just say something like that without evidence and knowledge.
I bought supporter packs because I liked to support GGG as an independent developer. I liked to believe that my money was going directly into keeping the lights on in the studio. Now that GGG is under the auspices of Tencent, I see it as their responsibility to keep GGG running, not mine anymore. Will I keep playing Path of Exile? More than likely. Will I keep paying for supporter packs? Probably not.

The question I have for GGG is this:

"What can you do with Tencent's money that you couldn't do with mine?"

Its a serious question that deserves a serious answer.

Will this buyout enable GGG to do something that it couldn't do before? If so, I wish you all the luck in the world. If this is about satisfying shareholders, or securing your retirements, I'm dissapointed, but I understand.

Please GGG, give us a tangible reason to be happy for this buyout.
"
鬼殺し wrote:
"
The true question is is Tencent the biggest shareholders now?

That's sort of what 'majority shareholder' means.

I really love this game, and this is the only game I pay for that much. However, even if I have bought some shares of Tencent in stock market and it is possible that Tencent may not make too many change to PoE, I hate the decision that GGG have made. Tencent is not a demon, or devil. It's something even darker. It want to own the world. It bought LoL and make a copy of it on Phone. It bought PUBG and make several copies of it on Phone. Now it bought PoE and...

You know what, Tik Tok (抖音) is a major obstacle of Tencent empire in China nowadays, and Tencent really use some "not a good way" to fight for it. For such a darkness, you better avoid it.

Let's see how wealthy Chris will be and how worse PoE can be.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Last edited by WillisTheWillis on May 20, 2018, 10:57:10 PM
"
"
YohSL wrote:
"If your going to quote people, maybe you should quote what they actually said rather then your made up quote. I understand what your trying to say, but this is dishonest at best."

Your complete and utter inability to understand metaphor is not my problem. [Removed by Support]

I am done getting off in the weeds with you. If you want to discuss the post topic, fine, otherwise /dismiss.

You couldn't stand the mildest of criticism, and bite back with ad hominid attacks?
How pathetic.
"
"Nothing will change... we retain creative control"
- Michael Morhaime, Co-Founder of Blizzard Entertainment, October 23, 2013.

To be fair, Blizzard stopped being Blizzard way before 2013.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info