New to ARPGs and boy is it daunting...

Advice....

Get a lootfilter if you havent already, Neversink is a popular one, filterblade.xyz website allows you to customize it.

If you have a choice on your passive tree of life or dps points, always go for the life node(or energy shield if thats your build), big error everyone makes on their first char is to not have enough hit points. You will be surprised at how many points end up being invested in life or energy shield.

Work on resists before dps stats on your levelling gear, at the end of Act 5 and Act 10 you lose a load of resists. You can leave chaos resist, most builds run at -60% chaos resist.

Good vendor recipes to know early.. Keep any flasks and skill gems if they have any % quality on them, sell a bunch of them to a vendor with a total of 40% quality between them and you get orbs to upgrade your skill gems and flasks. Theres a whole bunch of vendor recipes, better to look at poe wiki for those though, too many to list.

Get a swear jar, lots of wtf moments could save a fortune.

If you do spend any money on cosmetics the various stash tabs are all really useful but not vital, the currency tab makes things so convenient though.
My hovercraft is full of eels.
"
Shagsbeard wrote:

One thing a new player can do to help the problem is to NOT WORRY ABOUT IT. Play the game for fun. Pick up a club and bash something with it. Pick up a wand and see what they do. Quit worrying about the numbers. Quit worrying about the end game. Just play for a week or so. Get a basis for understanding the numbers and advice you're given here.

Agree 100%. I've never played the game "how you're supposed" to for the last 5 years. This was my 1st ARPG as well and enjoy it my way on my terms. :-)
"
gladiatorpie wrote:
The definition of viable in this game is mostly up to each individual player.

Viable in this game is whatever you want to make it.

As to rerolling and making mistakes, if you hate time wasted due to that this game might be rough for you. There's a lot to learn and even following a guide wont always save you from making rookie mistakes.

when i was starting, i was told to expect my first 3 builds or so to be totally bad and just use them for learning experiences. i believe that was pretty accurate. even now, i still tend to need to try a character 3 or so times before i feel comfortable with the concept.
Maybe, unless the person is wanting to meet others and learn from them, or just say "hey, this is daunting, can I get a fix on that feeling from others?"

To that I would say "hey, welcome, maybe join a newbie guild?" and "yes, it's overwhelming!"

Trying D3 first is solid advice if it is all a bit overwhelming. It's kinda cool starting here though, too!

"
Destrezah wrote:

At the end of the day, we're both looking for some efficient passive sets to run so that we don't regret making early newbie mistakes that are hard to reverse later down the road.

I haven't read the whole thread, so imagine people have suggested specific build guides for a duelist and a ranger that are cheap. If not, there are specific sub forums for Builds. Pick one that says "beginner friendly/ budget". Some builds are tied to specific items, and are way too expensive to consider when new.

On regrets: Every time the game re-iterates there is a full passive reset for all characters. You can choose to not reset, or reset them.

"
We currently expect to release 3.3.0 on Friday June 1

There are also orbs of Regret, which you can use to reset passive skill points.

I think the only real newbie mistake you could make is being cheated out of valuable items by people with no scruples about doing so. If you get a mirror of kalandra, don't sell it before doing your research.

Same goes for a handful of items that you have just as much chance of getting as anyone else in that given moment.

There's a site poe.xyz trade that you can search items on. Do that and you won't regret anything too much.

Good luck!

Last edited by erdelyii on Apr 8, 2018, 10:42:44 PM
This is probably not the game for you.

Wolf
I'll take "Swords" for two hundred Alex.
-Faux Sean Connery
"

Wolf

I read that in this tone:

"
erdelyii wrote:
"

Wolf

I read that in this tone:

Noice

wolf
I'll take "Swords" for two hundred Alex.
-Faux Sean Connery
I can honestly say i totally understand where you are coming from. Things are easy to shy away from once they feel to complex or daunting to take on.

But i have to say this. This is the most rewarding game you can play, if you do take the time you need to learn about mechanics, skills, items, stats and community that it has to offer.

I have played the game for quite some hours, above 5k actually, and i have areas still to explore. Theres loads of skills i have yet to utilize.

My advice is to take beginner builds, play them and get a feel for them. Then read about skills and interactions and slowly work from there. The game in itself is pretty unforgiving, but rerolling characters and classes is basically what the game is all about. I play at least 3 - 6 new builds per league, some work others dont, thats just the nature of it. But its also the fun part, learning and reading. Tip of the day though, is dont drop builds to early as they really start to shine beyond lvl 70+ with scaling. Also this is when you start preparing for getting that coveted endgame gear and start tweaking builds to fit your playstyle once you grasp skill interactions and stats alot better.

With every league comes new mechanics, items, skills and so on, so there's and endless supply of things to try out.

But yes, you do have to actually read as much as you can and learn how stuff works, its not something you do by trial and error, since the game never tells you what is right or wrong. If you do it that way you will punish yourself way to hard and just quit because you made no progress at all.

Welcome to Poe and enjoy your stay.

"
Destrezah wrote:
So recently I just happened to stumble across this game and, having never played an ARPG before, fell in love with the concept and the gameplay almost instantly. My sister and I love to play games together all the time and this is right up our alley. But if there's one thing we really dislike when selecting new games to play, it's "complicated skill systems." If organizing skills is very complicated to do, expensive to undo, or super tedious to start over, we tend to shy away from it at it has soiled our experiences with other games in the pass. Taking a look at the passives tree and several example "builds" from the forums and YouTube has us very confused on what is actually going on, as the system is very different from anything I've seen before.

At the end of the day, we're both looking for some efficient passive sets to run so that we don't regret making early newbie mistakes that are hard to reverse later down the road. I'm very interested in the Duelist and my sister the Ranger. We've both taken looks at the passive tree and tried to piece something together but it all just ends up being a jumbled mess in the end. It's hard to really understand something when you don't grasp all the fundamentals you know? Fortify and the champion branch of Duelist caught my eye just from my past experiences usually being a tank in other games, and anything in Ranger looks pretty suitable, but we have no direction from there. Is any of that really viable? What even is "viable" in this game? It's just hard to put together.

If you have any advice you could offer to us that would be greatly appreciated. Unless it's one of those "you have to make the mistakes and learn yourself" kind of deals.

Look up a

- duelist Gladiator
Spoiler
= gladiator is an ascendancy the duelist can take if you progress
block build

- ranger Raider or deadeye
Spoiler
= raider or deadeye are two of the ascendancy options for rangers
frost arrow

on youtube and then read some "build guides" on the forums for those builds so you get a feeling of how to approach such a build.

Try finding some beginner friendly build guides, since not all people make those with new players in mind.

But if you wanna play together i would suggest starting with those as an option, the block gladiator will make you tanky and the ranger can support with damage from behind you.

Be absolutely prepared to fuck up though, that's entirely normal with limited knowledge in this game since it will punish you for mistakes.

Peace,

-Boem-
Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes
Last edited by Boem on Apr 25, 2018, 7:44:29 AM
Right now the best thing to do is watch this:

Path of Exile - 3.2 Hierophant Bestiary starter build guide | Frostbolt, Flameblast | Beginner Guide

Best PoE builds for patch 3.2.1 are totem skills.
"You've got to grind, grind, grind at that grindstone..."
Necessity may be the mother of invention, but poor QoP in PoE is the father of frustration.

The perfect solution to fix Trade Chat:
www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2247070

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info